problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg - Aix

This is a discussion on problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg - Aix ; Hi, I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch but both are not working as expected. \n is creating a new line but the new lines starts from where the first one finishes eg. ...

  1. problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    Hi,

    I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    but both are not working as expected.

    \n is creating a new line but the new lines starts from where the
    first one finishes eg.

    Unauthorized use of this
    system is prohibited.
    login:

    \r is not being translated by system eg.

    NOTICE TO USERS\r
    \r
    Use of this machine waives all rights to your
    privacy,\r

    \r and is consent to be monitored.\r

    \rUnauthorized use prohibited.\r
    \r
    \r
    login:

    oslevel - 5300-07

    any idea whats causing this.

  2. Re: problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    In
    Abhi typed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    > but both are not working as expected.

    On some old 4.3.3 I have long welcome text.

    AFAIR herald has to be in only one line. Yes, possibly a vary long one.
    And forget about '\r' in login.cfg - use spaces.

    herald = "\n\n Welcome \n\nlogin: "

    --
    Regards
    Piotrek Kapczuk

  3. Re: problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    On Jul 8, 2:46*pm, "piotr::kapczuk"
    wrote:
    > Innews:c771c5f3-7b2f-4e92-9b96-bedd0483f726@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com,
    > Abhi typed:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    > > but both are not working as expected.

    > On some old 4.3.3 I have long welcome text.
    >
    > AFAIR herald has to be in only one line. Yes, possibly a vary long one.
    > And forget about '\r' in login.cfg *- use spaces.
    >
    > herald = "\n\n *Welcome \n\nlogin: "
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Piotrek Kapczuk

    Hi Piotrek,

    I have enter the herald entry in single line only.

    Cheers.....

  4. Re: problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    On Jul 8, 2:46*pm, "piotr::kapczuk"
    wrote:
    > Innews:c771c5f3-7b2f-4e92-9b96-bedd0483f726@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com,
    > Abhi typed:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    > > but both are not working as expected.

    > On some old 4.3.3 I have long welcome text.
    >
    > AFAIR herald has to be in only one line. Yes, possibly a vary long one.
    > And forget about '\r' in login.cfg *- use spaces.
    >
    > herald = "\n\n *Welcome \n\nlogin: "
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Piotrek Kapczuk

    for example, if i used the entry you mentioned
    herald = "\n\n Welcome \n\nlogin: "

    it would appear as,

    Welcome

    Login:

  5. Re: problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    Abhi typed:

    ,
    >> Abhi typed:
    >>
    >>> Hi,

    >>> I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    >>> but both are not working as expected.

    >> On some old 4.3.3 I have long welcome text.
    >>
    >> AFAIR herald has to be in only one line. Yes, possibly a vary long
    >> one. And forget about '\r' in login.cfg - use spaces.
    >>
    >> herald = "\n\n Welcome \n\nlogin: "
    >>

    > for example, if i used the entry you mentioned
    > herald = "\n\n Welcome \n\nlogin: "
    >
    > it would appear as,
    >
    > Welcome
    >
    > Login:

    Please show us your whole default stanza

    It works for me

    # grep ^.her login.cfg
    herald = "\nWelcome to paradise \n\nlogin: "

    # telnet localhost
    Trying...
    Connected to loopback.
    Escape character is '^]'.