problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg - Aix

This is a discussion on problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg - Aix ; Hi, I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch but both are not working as expected. \n is creating a new line but the new lines starts from where the first one finishes eg. ...

  1. problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    Hi,

    I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    but both are not working as expected.

    \n is creating a new line but the new lines starts from where the
    first one finishes eg.

    Unauthorized use of this
    system is prohibited.
    login:

    \r is not being translated by system eg.

    NOTICE TO USERS\r
    \r
    Use of this machine waives all rights to your
    privacy,\r

    \r and is consent to be monitored.\r

    \rUnauthorized use prohibited.\r
    \r
    \r
    login:

    oslevel - 5300-07

    any idea whats causing this.

  2. Re: problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    We started seeing a similar problem after upgrading to 5.3 TL7 SP3 (from 5.3
    TL6 SP1).

    The login prompt now looks like:
    \rlogin:

    on all systems that were upgraded. In our case it's definitely something
    related to the upgrade. I've not had a chance to check with IBM yet, since
    it's only a cosmetic issue. We have not modified herald stanza. Anyone
    else seen this?

    -Tom

    "Abhi" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I made a standard entry in herald stanza using the \n and \r switch
    > but both are not working as expected.
    >
    > \n is creating a new line but the new lines starts from where the
    > first one finishes eg.
    >
    > Unauthorized use of this
    > system is prohibited.
    > login:
    >
    > \r is not being translated by system eg.
    >
    > NOTICE TO USERS\r
    > \r
    > Use of this machine waives all rights to your
    > privacy,\r
    >
    > \r and is consent to be monitored.\r
    >
    > \rUnauthorized use prohibited.\r
    > \r
    > \r
    > login:
    >
    > oslevel - 5300-07
    >
    > any idea whats causing this.

  3. Re: problems with \n and \r switch in herald stanza of login.cfg

    Yes.
    We were at 5.3 TL05 and noticed the difference in 5.3 TL6 (TL ?)
    when you virtual term via the hmc or telnet. Connecting via SSH
    looked ok. For us too, we didn't bother to call ibm .

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:03:59 -0400, "Tom Simpson"
    wrote:

    ()We started seeing a similar problem after upgrading to 5.3 TL7 SP3 (from 5.3
    ()TL6 SP1).
    ()
    ()"Abhi" wrote in message
    ()news:26dbb78f-8a2c-4b3f-b6ab-a6594e10660b@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
[...]