how to change username, keep userid ( UID ) - Aix

This is a discussion on how to change username, keep userid ( UID ) - Aix ; How to change a user from adminv3 to adminv4 and keep the same UID, what is best way to go about making this change? I tried usermod -l adminv4 adminv3 and it gave the following error: Usage: mkuser [-R load_module] ...

  1. how to change username, keep userid ( UID )

    How to change a user from adminv3 to adminv4 and keep the same UID,
    what is best way to go about making this change?

    I tried usermod -l adminv4 adminv3 and it gave the following error:
    Usage: mkuser [-R load_module] [-a] "attr=value" ... newuser

    I want everything in /etc/passwd ( and all associate files ) to remain
    *except* the login name.

  2. Re: how to change username, keep userid ( UID )

    Manually edit /etc/passwd

    --
    Message posted using http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.unix.aix/
    More information at http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/faq.html

  3. Re: how to change username, keep userid ( UID )

    "porter2" wrote:

    >Manually edit /etc/passwd

    But use vipw to lock the passwd file while you are doing it.
    Will prevent other changes being made at the same time that could
    introduce incosistencied.

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  4. Re: how to change username, keep userid ( UID )

    On Jul 7, 3:22*pm, "dwca...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > How to change a user from adminv3 to adminv4 and keep the same UID,
    > what is best way to go about making this change?
    >
    > I tried usermod -l adminv4 adminv3 and it gave the following error:
    > * *Usage: mkuser [-R load_module] [-a] "attr=value" ... newuser
    >
    > I want everything in /etc/passwd ( and all associate files ) to remain
    > *except* the login name.

    perhaps you have an outdated version of bos.rte.security. the command
    works for me.
    anyhow... if that doesnt work for you, best bet is probably to remove
    and recreate the user with the new name and same permissions.

  5. Re: how to change username, keep userid ( UID )

    For those that follow:

    There is a fix for this:

    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=isg1IZ40232

+ Reply to Thread