inet0: error loading kernel extension - Aix

This is a discussion on inet0: error loading kernel extension - Aix ; Hi, First of all I have to admit, that I'm relatively new to AIX although I've got some experience with Unix clones (BSD, Linux) so I know the concepts. Some days ago our AIX 4.3.3 ML11 machine (I know it's ...

  1. inet0: error loading kernel extension

    Hi,

    First of all I have to admit, that I'm relatively new to AIX although
    I've got some experience with Unix clones (BSD, Linux) so I know the
    concepts.
    Some days ago our AIX 4.3.3 ML11 machine (I know it's old, but I can't
    change it) hosting an InfoPrint Manager ran out of inodes on /var. Not
    knowing what else to do one of our print operators tried to fix this
    by rebooting the machine, to no avail. When I arrived I noticed that
    networking didn't work anymore. First thing I did was clean up /var
    and try to restore the machine from a backup. Unfortunately the guys
    who set up the environment didn't consider to also backup the system
    itself, so there is no backup of the installed system. I then checked
    the networking hardware by pinging another machine on the network from
    inside the machines BIOS, which worked and proved, that the hardware
    is working. I investigated further and found out that when running
    lsdev -C it shows inet0 and pty0 as Defined and not Available as it
    should. I removed all network interfaces (en0, en1, et0, et1, ent0,
    ent1), inet0 and pty0 and let cfgmgr re-find those. Afterwards
    everything was there again, but inet0 and pty0 were still Defined. I
    now tried smitty mktcpip and re-setup ip networking which complained
    that it couldn't run ifconfig. It said something about not being able
    to load a kernel extension. So I tried to make the pty0 and inet0
    devices Available by running cfgmgr -l inet0/pty0 which gave me the
    error "inet0: error loading kernel extension". This is the point where
    I'm stuck. I tried to reinstall the bos using smitty install hoping
    that the driver might just be corrupted somehow and would be replaced
    with a correct one but smitty won't let me re-install it, even if I
    tell it to not check for requisites and to overwrite existing or newer
    files.
    I'm stuck at this point and seek your help. Any hints on what to try
    next are highly appreciated.

    Uli

  2. Re: inet0: error loading kernel extension

    Are you sure that the network adapter is really in the defined state ?

    please check with
    $ lsdev -Cc adapter

    I wild guess is that the mksysb is outdated meaning after the mksysb
    has been taken an ML update has been done.

    In this case i would download the AIX 4.3.3 ML 11 and reapply.

    As stated a few day ago the ML11 package can be found at:
    https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...fixes/ml11pack...

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: inet0: error loading kernel extension

    On 7 Jul., 17:56, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > Are you sure that the network adapter is really in the defined state ?
    >
    > please check with
    > $ lsdev -Cc adapter
    >
    > I wild guess is that the mksysb is outdated meaning after the mksysb
    > has been taken an ML update has been done.
    >
    > In this case i would download the AIX 4.3.3 ML 11 and reapply.
    >
    > As stated a few day ago the ML11 package can be found at:https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...fixes/ml11pack...
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Thanks for your reply.
    lsdev -Cc adapter shows ent0 and ent1 as Available. But that's not the
    problem. Inet0 is not available but defined thus rendering networking
    inoperational. ML11 is already in /usr/sys/inst.images but I don't
    know how to re-apply it. Doing a smitty update-all results in smitty
    trying to run "installp -acFNQqwx -d /usr/sys/inst.images -f File"
    which fails with the error message "The following is a list of fileset
    updates. Updates cannot be specified from the command line when the
    Force flag (-F) is used in combination with the Apply flag (-a)".
    Telling smitty not to overwrite newer and current files results in
    installp telling me that there is nothing to update.

    Uli

  4. Re: inet0: error loading kernel extension

    On 7 Jul., 17:56, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > Are you sure that the network adapter is really in the defined state ?
    >
    > please check with
    > $ lsdev -Cc adapter
    >
    > I wild guess is that the mksysb is outdated meaning after the mksysb
    > has been taken an ML update has been done.
    >
    > In this case i would download the AIX 4.3.3 ML 11 and reapply.
    >
    > As stated a few day ago the ML11 package can be found at:https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...fixes/ml11pack...
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Hi, thanks for your reply.

    lsdev -Cc adapter schows that ent0 and ent1 are available. It's inet0
    that's just defined thus rendering networking inoperational.
    I tried to reapply ML11 by running smitty update-all but installp
    tells me, that everything is up to date. Setting smitty to overwrite
    files with the same or newer versions results in a call of "installp -
    acFNQqwX -d /usr/sys/inst.images -f Files". This in turn results in a
    failure message and no filesets are installed: "The following is a
    list of fileset updates. Updates cannot be specified from the command
    line when the force flac (-F) is used in combination with the apply
    flag (-a)."
    How do I force the reinstallation of ML11?

    Uli

  5. Re: inet0: error loading kernel extension

    Hi Uli,

    For an update do NOT use the force option. The force option is used to
    reinstall a base fileset.

    For trouble shooting:
    1)
    - Check if none of the filesystem has run out of space.
    $ df

    - Check the error log
    $ errpt
    $ errpt -a

    - Check the bootlog and console log
    $ alog -f /var/adm/ras/bootlog -o
    $ alog -f /var/adm/ras/conslog -o

    The bootlog is pretty important because it show also the cfgmr output
    during boot.

    2) Reapply the ML11 - ( Not use the force option )
    $ installp -c all # Commit all current updates
    $ smitty update_all

    3) Check that the bootdevice exist and rebuilt the boot image ( I
    assume no mirrored vg )
    $ bootinfo -m normal -o # valid in aix 4.3.3 ?
    $ ipl_varyon -i
    $ ls /dev/$( bootinfo -b ) /dev/ipldevice
    $ bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice

    reboot

    In case after the reboot you can still not configure the network

    4) Reconfigure the network
    Remove the complette network configuration ( write the configuration
    to paper )
    $ rmtcpip
    $ rmdev -dl ent0 ; rmdev -dl en0
    $ rmdev -dl entN ; rmdev -dl enN

    Reconfigure and look for any errors or warning
    $ cfgmgr -v

    Check the devices
    $ lscfg -l ent\*
    $ lsdev -l inet0
    $ lsdev -Cc adapter
    $ lsattr -El ent0 ; lsattr -El en0 # Look at state
    $ lsattr -El enyN ; lsattr -El enN
    $ lsattr -El inet0

    Now try to configure the network ( Configures inet0 )
    1) Via mktcpip
    $ mktcpip -h MyHostName -a MyIP -i en0 -s # or use smitty mktcpip

    Check for errors

    2) via ifconfig ( We will see if the network is working somehow )
    Example from /etc/rc.net
    /usr/sbin/ifconfig lo0 inet loopback
    /usr/sbin/ifconfig en0 inet xx.xx.xx.xx1

    FYI: The network gets configured from the /etc/rc.net , just take a
    look. The most important thing is that the script writes a logfile
    to: /tmp/rc.net.out

    Lets us know what you have done and in case to see any errors please
    post the error message

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread