Dynamic partitionning - Aix

This is a discussion on Dynamic partitionning - Aix ; Hi, I have a P55 and I created some partitions I installed AIX 5.3 TL08 on each partition Is it possible to allocate/deallocate resources while the partitions are running ? With HMC, I tried to allocate/deallocate RAM and CPU while ...

  1. Dynamic partitionning

    Hi,

    I have a P55 and I created some partitions
    I installed AIX 5.3 TL08 on each partition
    Is it possible to allocate/deallocate resources
    while the partitions are running ?
    With HMC, I tried to allocate/deallocate RAM and CPU
    while the partition are activated, but it doesn't work, I got an error
    I thought it was dynamic, what I missed ?
    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    On 5 Jul, 15:33, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a P55 and *I created some partitions
    > I installed AIX 5.3 TL08 on each partition
    > Is it possible to allocate/deallocate resources
    > while the partitions are running ?
    > With HMC, I tried to allocate/deallocate RAM and CPU
    > while the partition are activated, but it doesn't work, I got an error
    > I thought it was dynamic, what I missed ?
    > Thanks *in advance

    It is dynamic, what error did you get.

    Scott

  3. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    Thanks
    I don't remember exactly
    I will post it on monday

    "scott" a écrit dans le message de news:
    9091f15e-272a-47a2-b73f-45c98660db27...oglegroups.com...
    On 5 Jul, 15:33, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a P55 and I created some partitions
    > I installed AIX 5.3 TL08 on each partition
    > Is it possible to allocate/deallocate resources
    > while the partitions are running ?
    > With HMC, I tried to allocate/deallocate RAM and CPU
    > while the partition are activated, but it doesn't work, I got an error
    > I thought it was dynamic, what I missed ?
    > Thanks in advance

    It is dynamic, what error did you get.

    Scott

  4. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    astalavista schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a P55 and I created some partitions
    > I installed AIX 5.3 TL08 on each partition
    > Is it possible to allocate/deallocate resources
    > while the partitions are running ?
    > With HMC, I tried to allocate/deallocate RAM and CPU
    > while the partition are activated, but it doesn't work, I got an error
    > I thought it was dynamic, what I missed ?
    > Thanks in advance

    Hi

    most common issues.

    1) Port 657 from HMC to LPAR and back is not working (firewall !!!)
    2) "Maximum" numbers of profilre resources (CPU,Memory) are the same as
    "desired" numbers.You cannot dynamically add resources exceeding
    profiles maximum number.
    3) rsct daemons on LPAR do not run (startsrc -g rsct)

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  5. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    Thanks for your help...

    > 1) Port 657 from HMC to LPAR and back is not working (firewall !!!)

    no firewall, switch between HMC and LPAR

    > 2) "Maximum" numbers of profilre resources (CPU,Memory) are the same as
    > "desired" numbers.You cannot dynamically add resources exceeding profiles
    > maximum number.

    maximum not reached

    > 3) rsct daemons on LPAR do not run (startsrc -g rsct)

    The error say
    it cannot connect to the RMC daemon

  6. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    On 07/07/2008 09:16 PM, astalavista wrote:
    >> 1) Port 657 from HMC to LPAR and back is not working (firewall !!!)

    > no firewall, switch between HMC and LPAR

    A check to do:
    # /usr/sbin/rsct/bin/rmcdomainstatus -s ctrmc

    >> 2) "Maximum" numbers of profilre resources (CPU,Memory) are the same as
    >> "desired" numbers.You cannot dynamically add resources exceeding profiles
    >> maximum number.

    > maximum not reached

    I'd recommend against increasing the max. limit for memory _exceedingly_
    high (e.g. 1GB LPAR memory with 80GB Max), as this will likely result in
    a significant amount of pinned kernel memory.

    >> 3) rsct daemons on LPAR do not run (startsrc -g rsct)

    > The error say
    > it cannot connect to the RMC daemon

    The most simple case would only require a RMC refresh:
    # /usr/sbin/rsct/bin/rmcctrl -z
    # /usr/sbin/rsct/bin/rmcctrl -s

    Also see
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/es...checklist.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...l5dia0216.html
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...0373.html?Open

    cheers
    Niel

  7. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    On Jul 8, 12:16*am, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Thanks for your help...
    >
    > > 1) Port 657 from HMC to LPAR and back is not working (firewall !!!)

    > no firewall, switch between HMC and LPAR
    >
    > > 2) "Maximum" numbers of profilre resources (CPU,Memory) are the same as
    > > "desired" numbers.You cannot dynamically add resources exceeding profiles
    > > maximum number.

    > maximum not reached
    >
    > > 3) rsct daemons on LPAR do not run (startsrc -g rsct)

    > The error say
    > it cannot connect to the RMC daemon

    yes, thats the issue, the RMC daemon should be running for DLPARing.
    checking the daemons by lssrc -g rsct. Alternatively, you can also
    check this from hmc command line which will give you status of all the
    LPARs on the specified managed node.

  8. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    Basicly the main cause for DPLAR failure are:
    1) no network/serial connection between HMC and LPAR ( no rcst
    communication at all )
    2) Missing rcst on the LPAR ( missing fileset )
    3) Misconfigured rcst on the LPAR ( ct_node_id - you should know
    what you do if you gonna change it!)
    4) others i do not know

    For 1)
    Check from your hmc which partitions are DLPAR capable.
    hmc$ lspartition -dlpar

    and check the hmc inventory as well

    For 2)
    Dynamic LPAR tips and checklists for RMC authentication and
    authorization
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/sy...checklist.html

    For 3)
    DLPAR Operation Fails
    http://stix.id.au/wiki/DLPAR_Operation_Fails

    Nice to read
    Hardware Management Console V7 Handbook
    October 2007
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247491.pdf

    hth
    Hajo

  9. Re: Dynamic partitionning

  10. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    "Mark Taylor" a écrit dans le message de news:
    a3e11309-a7dd-4e1e-ac6c-0b418f2c81a5...oglegroups.com...
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/sy...checklist.html
    >
    > HTH
    > Mark Taylor

    Thanks for all answers,
    I have 2 HMC and 2 VLAN
    and I used the HMC not on the right VLAN

    HMC and LPAR must be on the same VLAN ???? yes ???
    is it written anywhere ????

    It works now !!!!!

  11. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    > HMC and LPAR must be on the same VLAN ???? yes ???
    > is it written anywhere ????

    Its stated in the Installation Guide that you need a network
    connection.
    I assume of course that does not mean: Just plug a cable somewhere .

    scnr
    Hajo

  12. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    > Its stated in the Installation Guide that you need a network
    > connection.
    > I assume of course that does not mean: Just plug a cable somewhere .

    Not only an network connection but a direct connection
    beetween HMC and LPAR on the public interface (no routing)
    broadcast ?? no ???

  13. Re: Dynamic partitionning

    astalavista schrieb:
    >> Its stated in the Installation Guide that you need a network
    >> connection.
    >> I assume of course that does not mean: Just plug a cable somewhere .

    > Not only an network connection but a direct connection
    > beetween HMC and LPAR on the public interface (no routing)
    > broadcast ?? no ???

    Hi

    No - neither VLAN does matter nor any direct connection for getting a broadcast
    domain is required.

    As stated in my earlier post

    > 1) Port 657 from HMC to LPAR and back is not working (firewall !!!)

    this implies, that you need to have a connection on port 657 only, no limitation
    on routers, gateways or whatever network devices, other than general tcpip
    limitations. But if your routing fails or your switch set up some port based
    access control list, then finally you do not have the required 657 port connection.

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

+ Reply to Thread