Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3 - Aix ; Hi All. I keep running into issues running the configure script for subversion. The configure scripts bombs out when it can not find zlib.h, re: configure: creating libtool appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool ...

  1. Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    Hi All.

    I keep running into issues running the configure script for
    subversion.

    The configure scripts bombs out when it can not find zlib.h, re:

    configure: creating libtool
    appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
    appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
    checking whether libtool needs -no-undefined... no
    checking whether to avoid circular linkage at all costs... no
    checking for trang... none
    checking for socket in -lsocket... no
    checking whether to look for SASL... yes
    configure: Looking in default locations
    checking sasl/sasl.h usability... no
    checking sasl/sasl.h presence... no
    checking for sasl/sasl.h... no
    checking for availability of Cyrus SASL v2... no
    checking for Mac OS KeyChain Services... no
    checking for msgfmt... /opt/pware/bin/msgfmt
    checking for msgmerge... /opt/pware/bin/msgmerge
    checking for xgettext... /opt/pware/bin/xgettext
    checking for library containing bindtextdomain... -lintl
    checking for bind_textdomain_codeset... yes
    checking if we are using GNU gettext... yes
    checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
    checking for size_t... yes
    checking for working memcmp... yes
    checking for vprintf... yes
    checking for _doprnt... yes
    checking for symlink... yes
    checking for readlink... yes
    checking zlib.h usability... no
    checking zlib.h presence... no
    checking for zlib.h... no
    configure: error: subversion requires zlib
    $ find /opt | grep zlib.h
    /opt/pware/include/zlib.h
    $ find . | grep zlib.h
    ../zlib/zlib.h
    ../zlib/examples/zlib_how.html
    ../zlib/old/zlib.html
    $

    Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to work around this (I've
    not done C under unix for about 10 years (and it was not very much of
    it even then!)).

    Thanks.

    -Chris

  2. Re: Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    chrisg@warpspeed.com.au schrieb:
    > Hi All.
    >
    > I keep running into issues running the configure script for
    > subversion.
    >
    > The configure scripts bombs out when it can not find zlib.h, re:

    (snip=

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to work around this (I've
    > not done C under unix for about 10 years (and it was not very much of
    > it even then!)).

    The configure script for subversion is crap,
    last time I tried the same thing as you.
    It took literally hours (on a Power5) and finally
    fell on its face because I hadn't some stupid DB installed
    (subversion's predecessor, cvs, doesn't need such gimmicks
    and compiles in a couple of seconds, BTW, but that's probably
    what people call "progress" nowadays).
    But the zlib issue might be solved either by inspecting the
    configure --help
    output for an appropriate parameter or by inclusion of the
    the zlib location in the CFLAGS="-I" and LDFLAGS="-L" parameters.
    The problem isn't C or Unix, it's the way Gnu software is built.

  3. Re: Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    On Jul 5, 10:30 pm, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > chr...@warpspeed.com.au schrieb:
    >
    > > Hi All.

    > > I keep running into issues running the configure script for
    > > subversion.

    > > The configure scripts bombs out when it can not find zlib.h, re:

    > (snip=
    >
    > > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to work around this (I've
    > > not done C under unix for about 10 years (and it was not very much of
    > > it even then!)).

    > The configure script for subversion is crap,
    > last time I tried the same thing as you.
    > It took literally hours (on a Power5) and finally
    > fell on its face because I hadn't some stupid DB installed
    > (subversion's predecessor, cvs, doesn't need such gimmicks
    > and compiles in a couple of seconds, BTW, but that's probably
    > what people call "progress" nowadays).
    > But the zlib issue might be solved either by inspecting the
    > configure --help

    Nice suggestion. THanks.

    ../configure --with-zlib=~/subversion/subversion-1.5.0/zlib CC=xlc

    Didn't work, died at the same spot.

    I've even tried copying *.h from zlib to zlib/include (which I had to
    create, as the zlib source is essentially flat).

    > output for an appropriate parameter or by inclusion of the
    > the zlib location in the CFLAGS="-I" and LDFLAGS="-L" parameters.
    > The problem isn't C or Unix, it's the way Gnu software is built.

    Going through those permutations now.

    I really don't want to have to put GCC on it, but...

    -Chris

  4. Re: Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    In article <6e074b08-e818-4738-9577-41d788e76ef0@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    chrisg@warpspeed.com.au writes:

    > ./configure --with-zlib=~/subversion/subversion-1.5.0/zlib CC=xlc
    >
    > Didn't work, died at the same spot.
    >
    > I've even tried copying *.h from zlib to zlib/include (which I had to
    > create, as the zlib source is essentially flat).
    >
    > > output for an appropriate parameter or by inclusion of the
    > > the zlib location in the CFLAGS="-I" and LDFLAGS="-L" parameters.
    > > The problem isn't C or Unix, it's the way Gnu software is built.

    > Going through those permutations now.
    >
    > I really don't want to have to put GCC on it, but...

    I don't think this is primarily a matter of gcc vs xlc,
    it's really the often brain-dead configure stuff.
    (configure uses s gazillion of test compiles to figure out
    how the final makefile should look like).
    I'd use sth like
    configure CC=cc CXX=cc --with-zlib CFLAGS="-I/your/include" LDFLAGS="-L/your/lib/"

    Note that in my version of configure, with-zlib has no parameters,
    so you have to specify the include- and lib-path.

  5. Re: Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    On Jul 7, 10:30 pm, m.krae...@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) wrote:
    > In article <6e074b08-e818-4738-9577-41d788e76...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    >

    > chr...@warpspeed.com.au writes:
    >
    > > ./configure --with-zlib=~/subversion/subversion-1.5.0/zlib CC=xlc

    > > Didn't work, died at the same spot.

    > > I've even tried copying *.h from zlib to zlib/include (which I had to
    > > create, as the zlib source is essentially flat).

    > > > output for an appropriate parameter or by inclusion of the
    > > > the zlib location in the CFLAGS="-I" and LDFLAGS="-L" parameters.
    > > > The problem isn't C or Unix, it's the way Gnu software is built.

    > > Going through those permutations now.

    > > I really don't want to have to put GCC on it, but...

    > I don't think this is primarily a matter of gcc vs xlc,
    > it's really the often brain-dead configure stuff.
    > (configure uses s gazillion of test compiles to figure out
    > how the final makefile should look like).
    > I'd use sth like
    > configure CC=cc CXX=cc --with-zlib CFLAGS="-I/your/include" LDFLAGS="-L/your/lib/"
    >
    > Note that in my version of configure, with-zlib has no parameters,
    > so you have to specify the include- and lib-path.

    I thought that --with-zlib now requires a path (and silently fails if
    one is not supplied).

    One thing that I did notice about the configure script was than when
    it was going the zlib bit, it was only referencing the CPPFLAGS
    variable, and not the CFLAGS variable, which is odd as there are no
    CPP files in zlib.

    I've got this (what appears to be) working:

    ../configure CC=xlc CPPFLAGS=-I/home/user/subversion/subversion-1.5.0/
    zlib CFLAGS=-I/home/user/subversion/subversion-1.5.0/zlib

    ~/subversion/... did not work.

    Now, using:

    ../configure CC=xlc CPPFLAGS=-I/home/user/subversion/subversion-1.5.0/
    zlib

    we end with:

    checking zlib.h usability... yes
    checking zlib.h presence... yes
    checking for zlib.h... yes
    checking for inflate in -lz... yes
    checking for python... /opt/pware/bin/python
    checking for JDK... configure: WARNING: no JNI header files found.
    no
    checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
    checking for ruby... none
    checking for swig... none
    configure: Configuring python swig binding
    checking for Python includes... -I/opt/pware/include/python2.5
    checking for compiling Python extensions... gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -
    DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
    checking for linking Python extensions... /opt/pware/lib/python2.5/
    config/ld_so_aix gcc -L/opt/pware/lib -Wl,-blibpath:/opt/pware/lib:/
    usr/lib:lib,-brtl -lpthreads -bI:/opt/pware/lib/python2.5/config/
    python.exp
    checking for linking Python libraries... -L/opt/pware/lib -Wl,-
    blibpath:/opt/pware/lib:/usr/lib:lib,-brtl -lpthreads
    checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string... L
    checking perl version... 5008002
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating Makefile
    config.status: WARNING: Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir
    setting
    config.status: creating tools/backup/hot-backup.py
    config.status: creating contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs/
    svn_load_dirs.pl
    config.status: creating contrib/client-side/svncopy/svncopy.pl
    config.status: creating contrib/client-side/svncopy/testsvncopy.pl
    config.status: creating tools/hook-scripts/commit-access-control.pl
    config.status: creating tools/hook-scripts/commit-email.pl
    config.status: creating subversion/bindings/swig/perl/native/
    Makefile.PL
    config.status: creating packages/solaris/pkginfo
    config.status: creating subversion/svn_private_config.h
    config.status: subversion/svn_private_config.h is unchanged
    config.status: executing mkdir-init commands
    configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support

    You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.0.14 or newer
    installed and linked to APR-UTIL. We have created Makefiles which
    will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
    use FSFS as the default back-end. You can find the latest version of
    Berkeley DB here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...-db/index.html

    $

    I see your points about the configure script, it is still looking at
    using gcc above... Doh!

    -Chris

  6. Re: Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    In article ,
    chrisg@warpspeed.com.au writes:

    (snip)
    > You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.0.14 or newer
    > installed and linked to APR-UTIL. We have created Makefiles which
    > will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
    > use FSFS as the default back-end. You can find the latest version of
    > Berkeley DB here:
    > http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...-db/index.html
    >
    > $
    >
    > I see your points about the configure script, it is still looking at
    > using gcc above... Doh!
    >
    > -Chris

    So now you are approximately at the point where I gave up for the time
    being. The configure script simply assumes that your system is
    a Linux preloaded by some distributor with all kinds of stuff in
    /usr/local/ by default. So now you have to go out hunting for all
    the bits and pieces that are missing in order to satisfy "configure".
    As for the gcc: I'd include CXX=cc, otherwise it will want to use gcc or
    g++.

  7. Re: Problems compiling Subversion using VAC 7 and AIX 5.3

    subversion build has been discussed a few month ago.
    Just search and pick what you need.

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread