problem with nfs mount and "1831-008" error -> "vmount: A system callreceived..." - Aix

This is a discussion on problem with nfs mount and "1831-008" error -> "vmount: A system callreceived..." - Aix ; # mount -o ro,vers=3 -v nfs nimserver:/export/lpp_source /a mount: 1831-008 giving up on: nimserver:/export/lpp_source vmount: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. Here's some more details: 1. nfsmounting the filesystem locally works fine... 2. tried 3 AIX ...

  1. problem with nfs mount and "1831-008" error -> "vmount: A system callreceived..."

    # mount -o ro,vers=3 -v nfs nimserver:/export/lpp_source /a
    mount: 1831-008 giving up on:
    nimserver:/export/lpp_source
    vmount: A system call received a parameter that is not valid.

    Here's some more details:

    1. nfsmounting the filesystem locally works fine...
    2. tried 3 AIX hosts on the same subnet... all fail with same error
    3. name resolution is NOT an issue
    4. tcpdump shows the client talking with the NIM server's filenet and
    shilp, etc.

    Any hints? Our engineering group has set this up and swears they've
    built boxes with this NIM server... "googling" seems to point to 2
    APARS.... but, just seems so odd...

    -Chris

  2. Re: problem with nfs mount and "1831-008" error -> "vmount: A systemcall received..."

    On 2 Jul, 10:27, "cmstan2...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > # mount -o ro,vers=3 -v nfs nimserver:/export/lpp_source /a
    > mount: 1831-008 giving up on:
    > nimserver:/export/lpp_source
    > vmount: A system call received a parameter that is not valid.
    >
    > Here's some more details:
    >
    > 1. nfsmounting the filesystem locally works fine...
    > 2. tried 3 AIX hosts on the same subnet... all fail with same error
    > 3. name resolution is NOT an issue
    > 4. tcpdump shows the client talking with the NIM server's filenet and
    > shilp, etc.
    >
    > Any hints? Our engineering group has set this up and swears they've
    > built boxes with this NIM server... "googling" seems to point to 2
    > APARS.... but, just seems so odd...
    >
    > -Chris

    oh.... btw....

    0:root@nimclient:/home/root # oslevel -s
    5300-04-CSP
    0:root@nimclient:/home/root # lslpp -L bos.mp64
    Fileset Level State Type Description
    (Uninstaller)

    bos.mp64 5.3.0.44 C F Base Operating
    System 64-bit
    Multiprocessor
    Runtime

    0:root@nimserver:/home/root # oslevel -s
    5300-06-02-0727
    0:root@nimserver:/home/root # lslpp -L bos.mp64
    Fileset Level State Type Description
    (Uninstaller)

    bos.mp64 5.3.0.62 C F Base Operating
    System 64-bit
    Multiprocessor
    Runtime

  3. Re: problem with nfs mount and "1831-008" error -> "vmount: A systemcall received..."

    And the NIM server is AIX ? and not NIMOL ? (nfso -o
    nfs_use_reserved_ports=1 if the NIM server is Linux)

    First thing, hostname resolution ip address to hostname and ip address
    to hostname must work on the NIM server for the client, I know you
    have said this is not an issue, paste the output of a host
    ip_address ; host hostname from both sides (Server and Client)

    Obvious, but the network should be ok between the NIM server and the
    nim client ??

    Firewall blocking certain ports ??

    2 x default routes on either system ??

    The client is in the NFS exports list for the filesystem ??

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

+ Reply to Thread