aix telnet logout hangs - Aix

This is a discussion on aix telnet logout hangs - Aix ; Anyone seen a Putty telnet or Xwindow session ( using SSH ) hang on logout? It seems that after some time spent in a host running various commands, a CTRL+D or exit will simply disconnect and hang. The session does ...

  1. aix telnet logout hangs

    Anyone seen a Putty telnet or Xwindow session ( using SSH ) hang on
    logout? It seems that after some time spent in a host running various
    commands, a CTRL+D or exit will simply disconnect and hang. The
    session does not completely terminate.

    I am not starting any background processes or anything that is tied to
    that sessions.

  2. Re: aix telnet logout hangs

    dwcasey@gmail.com wrote:
    > Anyone seen a Putty telnet or Xwindow session ( using SSH ) hang on
    > logout? It seems that after some time spent in a host running various
    > commands, a CTRL+D or exit will simply disconnect and hang. The
    > session does not completely terminate.
    >
    > I am not starting any background processes or anything that is tied to
    > that sessions.

    are you using tivoli monitoring (ITM v6)? I remember a flaw in the ITM
    kuxagent process. The agent periodically scans for logged in users and
    opens the pseudo terminal device associated with their session (/dev/pts
    IIRC). This results in the exact symptom you describe. Can be easily
    verified with "lsof -p "

    Regards

  3. Re: aix telnet logout hangs

    On Jun 26, 11:13*am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    > dwca...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Anyone seen a Putty telnet or Xwindow session ( using SSH ) hang on
    > > logout? *It seems that after some time spent in a host running various
    > > commands, a CTRL+D or exit will simply disconnect and hang. *The
    > > session does not completely terminate.

    > > I am not starting any background processes or anything that is tied to
    > > that sessions.

    > are you using tivoli monitoring (ITM v6)? I remember a flaw in the ITM
    > kuxagent process. The agent periodically scans for logged in users and
    > opens the pseudo terminal device associated with their session (/dev/pts
    > IIRC). This results in the exact symptom you describe. Can be easily
    > verified with "lsof -p "
    >
    > Regards

    Very interesting. Yes, the system I'm connecting to is running the
    kuxagent. Running the lsof command against it's PID gives me about
    two pages of info, most of with are /dev/pts/xx devices 0-35.

    Why is it opening the pts'? And how are the two related...logging in,
    Tivoli spinning off a PTS and hanging my session upon logout?

  4. Re: aix telnet logout hangs

    dwcasey@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 11:13 am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    >> dwca...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Anyone seen a Putty telnet or Xwindow session ( using SSH ) hang on
    >>> logout? It seems that after some time spent in a host running various
    >>> commands, a CTRL+D or exit will simply disconnect and hang. The
    >>> session does not completely terminate.
    >>> I am not starting any background processes or anything that is tied to
    >>> that sessions.

    >> are you using tivoli monitoring (ITM v6)? I remember a flaw in the ITM
    >> kuxagent process. The agent periodically scans for logged in users and
    >> opens the pseudo terminal device associated with their session (/dev/pts
    >> IIRC). This results in the exact symptom you describe. Can be easily
    >> verified with "lsof -p "
    >>
    >> Regards

    > Very interesting. Yes, the system I'm connecting to is running the
    > kuxagent. Running the lsof command against it's PID gives me about
    > two pages of info, most of with are /dev/pts/xx devices 0-35.
    >
    > Why is it opening the pts'? And how are the two related...logging in,
    > Tivoli spinning off a PTS and hanging my session upon logout?

    Well, a pts/xxx device is being opened for each remote login. That's
    normal. The fact that kuxagent also opens them later on and never closes
    them prevents your remote login from terminating correctly (and the
    pts devices from being reused). To make it worse, there is a limit on
    the number of ptys, once you reach it you won't be able to login
    remotely anymore (check your max with "lsattr -El pty0" IIRC).
    I have discovered this earlier this year and opened a PMR with ITM
    support. They sent me a hotfixed binary which did not open pts devices
    anymore. Since I have handed on the ITM related stuff in the meantime, I
    don't know if it has been fixed in the official release.

    Good Luck
    Joachim

  5. Re: aix telnet logout hangs

    Hello, I have the same problem with my putty sessions with SSH and I have too the ITM6 installed for monitoring in my servers with AIX 5.3, could you help me send me the name of the ITM patch to install, or how can I obtain?, please send this information to may email: yair.castillo@t-systems.com

+ Reply to Thread