Remote console - Aix

This is a discussion on Remote console - Aix ; Hello, I have a p5 series 9131-52A. I do not have an HMC. The server has been partitioned for a single AIX partition and it has no OS installed. I am trying to install AIX remotely, using ASMI. Does anyone ...

  1. Remote console

    Hello,
    I have a p5 series 9131-52A. I do not have an HMC. The server has been
    partitioned for a single AIX partition and it has no OS installed. I am
    trying to install AIX remotely, using ASMI. Does anyone know if this is
    possible? I cannot seem to find a console interface.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Remote console

    On May 31, 4:38 am, KIggster wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a p5 series 9131-52A. I do not have an HMC. The server has been
    > partitioned for a single AIX partition and it has no OS installed. I am
    > trying to install AIX remotely, using ASMI. Does anyone know if this is
    > possible? I cannot seem to find a console interface.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Webbased ASMI or ASCII ASMI ? In the later case power on the system
    and you should get into the SMS menu.
    If you are using the webbased ASMI connect a terminal to S1 ( 19600/8/
    n)

    All from memory
    cheers
    Hajo

  3. Re: Remote console

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:

    > On May 31, 4:38 am, KIggster wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a p5 series 9131-52A. I do not have an HMC. The server has been
    >> partitioned for a single AIX partition and it has no OS installed. I am
    >> trying to install AIX remotely, using ASMI. Does anyone know if this is
    >> possible? I cannot seem to find a console interface.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Webbased ASMI or ASCII ASMI ? In the later case power on the system
    > and you should get into the SMS menu.
    > If you are using the webbased ASMI connect a terminal to S1 ( 19600/8/
    > n)
    >
    > All from memory
    > cheers
    > Hajo

    Thanks for replying!
    I have both working. I however am remote and want to do AIX install which
    means I have to have some sort of an ASCII console available to me. Similar
    to what HP ILO has. Web ASMI does not seem to have any. Or I can not find
    it.

    Thanks again,

    Igor

  4. Re: Remote console

    On Jun 2, 10:20 pm, KIggster wrote:
    > Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > > On May 31, 4:38 am, KIggster wrote:
    > >> Hello,
    > >> I have a p5 series 9131-52A. I do not have an HMC. The server has been
    > >> partitioned for a single AIX partition and it has no OS installed. I am
    > >> trying to install AIX remotely, using ASMI. Does anyone know if this is
    > >> possible? I cannot seem to find a console interface.

    > >> Thanks in advance.

    > > Webbased ASMI or ASCII ASMI ? In the later case power on the system
    > > and you should get into the SMS menu.
    > > If you are using the webbased ASMI connect a terminal to S1 ( 19600/8/
    > > n)

    > > All from memory
    > > cheers
    > > Hajo

    > Thanks for replying!
    > I have both working. I however am remote and want to do AIX install which
    > means I have to have some sort of an ASCII console available to me. Similar
    > to what HP ILO has. Web ASMI does not seem to have any. Or I can not find
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Igor

    IMHO you need a terminal server to access the SMS ( Serial ASMI ) menu
    from a remote site or some kind of ethernet to serial converter.

    cheers
    Hajo

  5. Re: Remote console

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:

    > On Jun 2, 10:20 pm, KIggster wrote:
    >> Hajo Ehlers wrote:

    >> > Webbased ASMI or ASCII ASMI ? In the later case power on the system
    >> > and you should get into the SMS menu.
    >> > If you are using the webbased ASMI connect a terminal to S1 ( 19600/8/
    >> > n)

    >> > All from memory
    >> > cheers
    >> > Hajo

    >> Thanks for replying!
    >> I have both working. I however am remote and want to do AIX install which
    >> means I have to have some sort of an ASCII console available to me.
    >> Similar to what HP ILO has. Web ASMI does not seem to have any. Or I can
    >> not find it.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>
    >> Igor

    > IMHO you need a terminal server to access the SMS ( Serial ASMI ) menu
    > from a remote site or some kind of ethernet to serial converter.
    >
    > cheers
    > Hajo

    Thank you. I guess I was looking for something that was not there.
    I ended up having a laptop with a hyperterm and RDP to it.

+ Reply to Thread