Upgrading xlC from version 6 to version 9 - Aix

This is a discussion on Upgrading xlC from version 6 to version 9 - Aix ; Hi I have a software product which is right now built using version 6 of xlC. We are considering upgrading to xlC version 9, however my product uses lots of third party libraries. I need to know if my product ...

  1. Upgrading xlC from version 6 to version 9

    Hi
    I have a software product which is right now built using version
    6 of xlC. We are considering upgrading to xlC version 9, however my
    product uses lots of third party libraries. I need to know if my
    product can continue to work with third party binaries built using xlC
    version 6 or they also need to upgrade?

    Second thing I need to know is that if some of my binaries (shared
    libraries) are being used by other softwares then can they use
    binaries built using xlC 9 with xlC version 6?

    Also do the answers change if instead of moving to version 9 we
    upgrade to version 8?

    Any information or pointers would be helpful!

    Thanks
    Dinesh

  2. Re: Upgrading xlC from version 6 to version 9

    dinrat@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a software product which is right now built using version
    > 6 of xlC. We are considering upgrading to xlC version 9, however my
    > product uses lots of third party libraries. I need to know if my
    > product can continue to work with third party binaries built using xlC
    > version 6 or they also need to upgrade?

    In all likelihood, you can move forward with no problem.

    > Second thing I need to know is that if some of my binaries (shared
    > libraries) are being used by other softwares then can they use
    > binaries built using xlC 9 with xlC version 6?

    They'll probably have to udpate their C++ runtime to a current
    level to match what you used when you built your shared modules.
    Past that, shared modules on AIX are black boxes.

    > Also do the answers change if instead of moving to version 9 we
    > upgrade to version 8?

    No.

  3. Re: Upgrading xlC from version 6 to version 9

    Thanks a lot for the information! I have one more clarification query.

    > > Second thing I need to know is that if some of my binaries (shared
    > > libraries) are being used by other softwares then can they use
    > > binaries built using xlC 9 with xlC version 6?

    > They'll probably have to udpate their C++ runtime to a current
    > level to match what you used when you built your shared modules.
    > Past that, shared modules on AIX are black boxes.

    As I understand this means that they can continue building their
    binaries using xlC v6 and link to the shared libraries which I have
    built using v9, however only when they are trying to run things the
    runtime has to be if v9? Please confirm if my understanding is correct
    or not, we have some software SDK for extensibility in our product and
    have some third party developers who use it, we need to communicate to
    them if they also need to upgrade their compiler or just the runtime
    environment.

    Thanks
    Dinesh

+ Reply to Thread