gcc compiled perl runtime module - Aix

This is a discussion on gcc compiled perl runtime module - Aix ; Hi together one of my customers want to have a perl runtime which was compiled with gcc. He isn't able to do so himself, because he got many errors compiling the perl sources. Is there any place where I can ...

  1. gcc compiled perl runtime module

    Hi together

    one of my customers want to have a perl runtime which was compiled with
    gcc. He isn't able to do so himself, because he got many errors
    compiling the perl sources. Is there any place where I can download a
    gcc-precompiled perl.rte.
    Alternatively can someone post the options to compile the perl sources
    with gcc ?
    Thanks in advance

    Friedhelm

  2. Re: gcc compiled perl runtime module

    In article , Friedhelm Neyer
    writes:
    > Hi together
    >
    > one of my customers want to have a perl runtime which was compiled with
    > gcc. He isn't able to do so himself, because he got many errors
    > compiling the perl sources. Is there any place where I can download a
    > gcc-precompiled perl.rte.
    > Alternatively can someone post the options to compile the perl sources
    > with gcc ?
    > Thanks in advance

    doesn't perl come "native" with the base OS ?
    The late pdslib (
    archive: http://computer-refuge.org/classiccm...pub/perl/RISC/
    restored pages: http://bio.gsi.de/DOCS/AIX/aixpdslib...edu/index.html
    ) used to carry gcc-compiled stuff as well.

  3. Re: gcc compiled perl runtime module

    > doesn't perl come "native" with the base OS ?
    > The late pdslib (
    > archive: http://computer-refuge.org/classiccm...pub/perl/RISC/
    > restored pages: http://bio.gsi.de/DOCS/AIX/aixpdslib...edu/index.html
    > ) used to carry gcc-compiled stuff as well.

    of course, but compiled with visual age as a part of aix. When customer
    need additional perl modules, he don't want to license visual age only
    for these stuff - he want to use gcc to compile new perl modules. And
    these gcc-compiled modules seem not to run ...

  4. Re: gcc compiled perl runtime module

    Friedhelm Neyer schrieb:

    > of course, but compiled with visual age as a part of aix. When customer
    > need additional perl modules, he don't want to license visual age only
    > for these stuff - he want to use gcc to compile new perl modules. And
    > these gcc-compiled modules seem not to run ...

    so you are telling me, that in the case of perl
    one can't mix binaries built with different compilers ?
    I always suspected that perl is some sort of crapware,
    but is it really *that* bad ?

  5. Re: gcc compiled perl runtime module

    On 20 Mai, 04:24, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > [...]
    > so you are telling me, that in the case of perl
    > one can't mix binaries built with different compilers ?
    > [...]

    Yes: Prereq is that if you need to compile a perl module with a c-
    compiler this compiler needs to be the same (at least same family) as
    the compiler which was used for compiling the perl binaries itself. So
    one might be able to mix binaries of different versions of gcc or VAC
    (IIRC I could mix VAC6, 7 and 8 binaries) but one cannot mix gcc and
    VAC binaries.

    @OP Maybe another option: There used to be a 30 day trial period for
    VAC / XL C for AIX. It could be downloaded from IBM directly. The link
    changes now and then but you could try the Trials and demos sublinks
    for VAC, XL C for AIX or XL C/C++. No guarantee that any link will
    work though.
    http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...XL+C%2FC%2B%2B

+ Reply to Thread