Dev partition to be as DR server?Is it possible? - Aix

This is a discussion on Dev partition to be as DR server?Is it possible? - Aix ; Guys I do have one big Lpar at DR site and wondering that if it could be used as DR Lpar for my one of my Lpars at production site.... Good thing is that all Lpars ( production as well ...

  1. Dev partition to be as DR server?Is it possible?

    Guys

    I do have one big Lpar at DR site and wondering that if it could be
    used as DR Lpar for my one of my Lpars at production site....

    Good thing is that all Lpars ( production as well as Development)
    Lpars are san booted and PPRC using DS6000.

    Question is that , when DR happened and when i would shutdown Dev Lpar
    and reboot Dev Lpar with PPRCed volume from production site , it
    would end up with two disks with two rootvg ( one its own - dev
    environment and one PPRCed from production environment)..although i
    will boot from PPRCed rootvg volume , not with DEV rootvg volume...

    However , concerns are there as how OS will behave when there will be
    two volumes with rootvg stamps?

    Any ideas???

    Polani

  2. Re: Dev partition to be as DR server?Is it possible?

    On 16 May, 12:54, Polani wrote:
    > Guys
    >
    > I do have one big Lpar at DR site and wondering that if it could be
    > used as DR Lpar for my one of my Lpars at production site....
    >
    > Good thing is that all Lpars ( production as well as Development)
    > Lpars are san booted and PPRC using DS6000.
    >
    > Question is that , when DR happened and when i would shutdown Dev Lpar
    > and reboot Dev Lpar with PPRCed volume *from production site , it
    > would end up with two disks with two rootvg ( one its own - dev
    > environment and one PPRCed from production environment)..although i
    > will boot from PPRCed rootvg volume , not with DEV rootvg *volume...
    >
    > However , concerns are there as how OS will behave when there will be
    > two volumes with rootvg stamps?
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Polani

    If you mean the system will have two rootvg VG's attached then this
    would seem a bad idea to me. Im pretty sure this just wont work as
    the system will be confused. What you would need to do I think is
    remove the DEV rootvg disks so that the system cant see them when it
    boots up, ie remove them via the DS6000 or whatever.

    You may be ablew to do some stuff with alternate rootrvg's but I cant
    remember right now how to do it. But the easiest thing Id have
    thought would be to just stop the systems seeing the DEV disks.

    Id also check the pprcing rootvg is supported from IBM. Ive a feeling
    it may not be as I actually pprcd rootvg from one site to another to
    make a clone of a system and even though the system booted OK there
    were some problems that only showed up at a later date when we came to
    do some disk manipulation. However we were going via a VIO server as
    well so this maybe added to the systems confusion. IBM told us
    pprding rootvg wasnt supported.

    Scott

  3. Re: Dev partition to be as DR server?Is it possible?

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 04:54:49 -0700 (PDT), Polani wrote:

    > Guys
    >
    > I do have one big Lpar at DR site and wondering that if it could be
    > used as DR Lpar for my one of my Lpars at production site....
    >
    > Good thing is that all Lpars ( production as well as Development)
    > Lpars are san booted and PPRC using DS6000.
    >
    > Question is that , when DR happened and when i would shutdown Dev Lpar
    > and reboot Dev Lpar with PPRCed volume from production site , it
    > would end up with two disks with two rootvg ( one its own - dev
    > environment and one PPRCed from production environment)..although i
    > will boot from PPRCed rootvg volume , not with DEV rootvg volume...
    >
    > However , concerns are there as how OS will behave when there will be
    > two volumes with rootvg stamps?
    >

    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Polani

    Why dont you just make an entirely new LPAR definition on the DEV site that
    is a copy of production? That way you just assign it your PPRC'd PROD
    volumes in case of disaster you just shut off DEV and fire up PROD.

    Just an FYI, last time I checked IBM does NOT support the PPRC rootvg
    mirror. Plus if your paging volumes are primarily the default /dev/hd6 you
    are going to freak out the replicaton technology trying to replicate paging
    space. If you want to play it safer just use NIM to make a occasional
    mksysb of your prod boxes and replicate that over to your dev environment.
    Its not quite as quick as the mirrored rootvgs but its still pretty quick
    recovery and a supported configuration.

  4. Re: Dev partition to be as DR server?Is it possible?

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 04:54:49 -0700, Polani wrote:

    > Guys
    >
    > I do have one big Lpar at DR site and wondering that if it could be used
    > as DR Lpar for my one of my Lpars at production site....
    >
    > Good thing is that all Lpars ( production as well as Development) Lpars
    > are san booted and PPRC using DS6000.
    >
    > Question is that , when DR happened and when i would shutdown Dev Lpar and
    > reboot Dev Lpar with PPRCed volume from production site , it would end up
    > with two disks with two rootvg ( one its own - dev environment and one
    > PPRCed from production environment)..although i will boot from PPRCed
    > rootvg volume , not with DEV rootvg volume...
    >
    > However , concerns are there as how OS will behave when there will be two
    > volumes with rootvg stamps?
    >

    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Polani

    Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you boot off the PPRC'd disk (if
    that's supported at all), it won't have a mapping for the PVID value
    that's on the normal rootvg for the LPAR in its ODM. Thus, it would just
    see a random disk out there that it didn't know about...

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread