LPAR managed server cloning - Aix

This is a discussion on LPAR managed server cloning - Aix ; Hi everyone, I'm currently working on a migration project as a contractant. It consists of migrating a TSM server on a p5 from version 5.3 to 5.5 I thought of cloning the actual TSM server running on a managed LPAR ...

  1. LPAR managed server cloning

    Hi everyone,

    I'm currently working on a migration project as a contractant.
    It consists of migrating a TSM server on a p5 from version 5.3 to 5.5
    I thought of cloning the actual TSM server running on a managed LPAR ;
    thus, we may install TSM server v5.5 from scratch on the new LPAR,
    run backup and scheduling tests.
    Finally, import the VGs used by the former server, and power it off.
    As of your experienced opinion, do these (simple) steps seem
    coherent ?

    For creating an LPAR from an existing one, I found a useful script
    here : http://blogsberg.sparced.org/archive...ER5-LPARs.html

    for LPAR in $(lssyscfg -r lpar -F lpar_id -m $(lssysconn -r all -F
    type_model_serial_num)); do
    lssyscfg -r prof -m $(lssysconn -r all -F type_model_serial_num) \
    --filter "lpar_ids=${LPAR}, profile_names=default" \
    | sed -e 's/^name/profile_name/g' \
    -e 's/lpar_name/name/g' \
    -e
    's/"virtual_serial_adapters=.*","virtual_scsi_adapters/"virtual_scsi_adapters/
    g' \
    -e "s/^/mksyscfg -r lpar -m \$\(lssysconn -r all -F
    type_model_serial_num\) -i '/g" -e "s/$/'/g"
    done

    It seems quiet simple to create a LPAR, anyway, is it safe ?

    Thanks for your replies

    Mehdi

  2. Re: LPAR managed server cloning

    On 13 May, 11:20, ienet wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm currently working on a migration project as a contractant.
    > It consists of migrating a TSM server on a p5 from version 5.3 to 5.5
    > I thought of cloning the actual TSM server running on a managed LPAR ;
    > thus, we may *install TSM server v5.5 from scratch on the new LPAR,
    > run backup and scheduling tests.
    > Finally, import the VGs used by the former server, and power it off.
    > As of your experienced opinion, do these (simple) steps seem
    > coherent ?
    >
    > For creating an LPAR from an existing one, I found a useful script
    > here :http://blogsberg.sparced.org/archive...ER5-LPARs.html
    >
    > for LPAR in $(lssyscfg *-r lpar -F lpar_id -m $(lssysconn -r all -F
    > type_model_serial_num)); do
    > * * lssyscfg -r prof -m $(lssysconn -r all -F type_model_serial_num) \
    > * * * * * * * * * --filter "lpar_ids=${LPAR}, profile_names=default" \
    > * * | sed -e 's/^name/profile_name/g' \
    > * * * * * * *-e 's/lpar_name/name/g' \
    > * * * * * * *-e
    > 's/"virtual_serial_adapters=.*","virtual_scsi_adapters/"virtual_scsi_adapte*rs/
    > g' \
    > * * * * * * *-e "s/^/mksyscfg -r lpar -m \$\(lssysconn -r all -F
    > type_model_serial_num\) -i '/g" -e "s/$/'/g"
    > done
    >
    > It seems quiet simple to create a LPAR, anyway, is it safe ?
    >
    > Thanks for your replies
    >
    > Mehdi

    You are a contractor getting paid to do this work on someone elses
    system and you have to ask these questions???

    Firstly use the HMC GUI interface to create the lpar as in my opinion
    is gonna be much easier. Just set it up from scratch. Also what is
    the reason you are cloning the server first of all, is it to create it
    on a different physical system, ie you want to actually move the lpar
    to a new physical box, if so then you def need to setup from scratch
    and Id do a backup/restore of the TSM database.

    If its just so you have a test system on the same (or different)
    physical server then again a backup/restore would be best, it will
    also give you experience of getting yourself out of a hole should the
    upgrade on live fail.

    As for TSM, I think you really need to do a backup and restore of the
    TSM DB rather than clone. Ive just upgaded a TSM server from 5.3 to
    5.5 and it was simple, I wouldnt be concerened about going straight
    ahead and doing this on live to be honest - just read the docs and it
    takes about 10mins for the actual upgrade (not including the stop/
    start of TSM).

    Scott

  3. Re: LPAR managed server cloning

    Hi all..

    I don't know why my first reply to this thread didn't come through, but I just wanted to say that I'm the one who wrote this little script and I have used it to set up machines for IBM LPAR courses for several months, setting up dozens of LPARs every week.

    There's no black magic in it, all the commands can be looked up on the HMC CLI(just browse the manual pages). The only "crude" thing it does is the removal of the virtual serial ports from the LPAR definitions, because whenever you create an LPAR, these are created automatically for you and if they are already in the definition, you'll get an error message.

    So, from my point of view and even IBM's, it's perfectly safe to use. If only IBM would endorse more use of the HMC CLI, things would be much easier than with the clumsy GUI, which can be hard to use when bandwidth is limited.

    Regards,
    Andre

  4. Re: LPAR managed server cloning

    On 17 mai, 20:00, scott wrote:
    > On 13 May, 11:20, ienet wrote:
    >

    > > Hi everyone,

    > > I'm currently working on a migration project as a contractant.
    > > It consists of migrating a TSM server on a p5 from version 5.3 to 5.5
    > > I thought of cloning the actual TSM server running on a managed LPAR ;
    > > thus, we may install TSM server v5.5 from scratch on the new LPAR,
    > > run backup and scheduling tests.
    > > Finally, import the VGs used by the former server, and power it off.
    > > As of your experienced opinion, do these (simple) steps seem
    > > coherent ?

    > > For creating an LPAR from an existing one, I found a useful script
    > > here :http://blogsberg.sparced.org/archive...ER5-LPARs.html

    > > for LPAR in $(lssyscfg -r lpar -F lpar_id -m $(lssysconn -r all -F
    > > type_model_serial_num)); do
    > > lssyscfg -r prof -m $(lssysconn -r all -F type_model_serial_num) \
    > > --filter "lpar_ids=${LPAR}, profile_names=default"\
    > > | sed -e 's/^name/profile_name/g' \
    > > -e 's/lpar_name/name/g' \
    > > -e
    > > 's/"virtual_serial_adapters=.*","virtual_scsi_adapters/"virtual_scsi_adapte*rs/
    > > g' \
    > > -e "s/^/mksyscfg -r lpar -m \$\(lssysconn -r all -F
    > > type_model_serial_num\) -i '/g" -e "s/$/'/g"
    > > done

    > > It seems quiet simple to create a LPAR, anyway, is it safe ?

    > > Thanks for your replies

    > > Mehdi

    > You are a contractor getting paid to do this work on someone elses
    > system and you have to ask these questions???
    >
    > Firstly use the HMC GUI interface to create the lpar as in my opinion
    > is gonna be much easier. Just set it up from scratch. Also what is
    > the reason you are cloning the server first of all, is it to create it
    > on a different physical system, ie you want to actually move the lpar
    > to a new physical box, if so then you def need to setup from scratch
    > and Id do a backup/restore of the TSM database.
    >
    > If its just so you have a test system on the same (or different)
    > physical server then again a backup/restore would be best, it will
    > also give you experience of getting yourself out of a hole should the
    > upgrade on live fail.
    >
    > As for TSM, I think you really need to do a backup and restore of the
    > TSM DB rather than clone. Ive just upgaded a TSM server from 5.3 to
    > 5.5 and it was simple, I wouldnt be concerened about going straight
    > ahead and doing this on live to be honest - just read the docs and it
    > takes about 10mins for the actual upgrade (not including the stop/
    > start of TSM).
    >
    > Scott

    Actually, I've not been hired for this job but for writing shell
    scripts.
    Although, the intermediate sold a whole package and I've been brought
    to work on the project beside my other tasks.
    One can't always refuse to do the job, as far as the customer is aware
    of that, and don't want to pay for an expert
    It would be great for me to get trained more seriously on AIX, but for
    the moment time is lacking...
    Anyway, thanks for your precious help, I know knowledge of AIX is
    valuable and hard to obtain.
    cheers

+ Reply to Thread