tail and logger - Aix

This is a discussion on tail and logger - Aix ; I have a situation where I need to redirect all messages from file to syslog which sends it to remote site. It works fine with: tail -f file.log | logger But thing stops when rotation happens on file.log. That is ...

  1. tail and logger

    I have a situation where I need to redirect all messages from file to
    syslog which sends it to remote site.
    It works fine with:
    tail -f file.log | logger

    But thing stops when rotation happens on file.log. That is my
    problem

    Linux has "tail" command and -F switch which solve my problem on Linux
    systems but AIX dont have this.

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks for help.

    Regards,
    Bojan.

  2. Re: tail and logger

    On 13 May, 10:59, Bojan Mihevc wrote:

    > I have a situation where I need to redirect all messages from file to
    > syslog which sends it to remote site.
    > It works fine with:
    > tail -f file.log | logger
    >
    > But thing stops when rotation happens on file.log. That is my
    > problem
    >
    > Linux has "tail" command and -F switch which solve my problem on Linux
    > systems but AIX dont have this.
    >
    > Any suggestion?

    Why not install GNU "tail" which is in the coreutils package.

  3. Re: tail and logger

    On 13 svi, 20:34, sjm wrote:

    > Why not install GNU "tail" which is in the coreutils package.

    It is option...

+ Reply to Thread