AIX 5.3, dsmc, and xlc++ - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3, dsmc, and xlc++ - Aix ; I have a C++ application compiled with xlc++ running under AIX 5.3. One of the things it does is make a call to system() to run dsmc, the TSM client. When it makes the system call, dsmc runs and retrieves ...

  1. AIX 5.3, dsmc, and xlc++

    I have a C++ application compiled with xlc++ running under AIX 5.3.
    One of the things it does is make a call to system() to run dsmc, the
    TSM client. When it makes the system call, dsmc runs and retrieves a
    file from an optical jukebox. dsmc completes and reports that it takes
    21 seconds to complete. This number varies every call. However, the
    actual processing time the system() call takes is always the dsmc time
    plus 60 seconds.

    I can monitor the process list and see that dsmc starts immediately
    when system() is invoked. And, it runs the entire time system() is
    active (n+60 seconds).

    This system() call used to add no overhead to the dsmc process. Any
    ideas why this might be happening and how I can find out what the
    problem is? I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Here is the dsmc command line being passed to system():

    dsmc retrieve /dsmc/OUTFILE.TMP /tmp/733329.TMP
    -replace=yes
    -servername=dsm2
    -password=pwd >/tmp/733330.TMP 2>/tmp/733331.TMP
    0
    /tmp/prompt_abort is a text file containing the letter 'A' and a
    couple of carriage returns.

    Thanks again.

  2. Re: AIX 5.3, dsmc, and xlc++

    Upon further research, I have found that the child process initiated
    by the system() call starts immediately, processes in a normal amount
    of time, but does not terminate for an additional 60 seconds.
    Meanwhile, the parent application waits until this child process
    terminates.

    If I run the dsmc command from the command line, not from within the C+
    + application, it terminates in the normal amount of time.

    Again, this is running on AIX 5.3.

    Thanks again for any help anyone could provide!

  3. Re: AIX 5.3, dsmc, and xlc++

    foomonkey schrieb:
    > Upon further research, I have found that the child process initiated
    > by the system() call starts immediately, processes in a normal amount
    > of time, but does not terminate for an additional 60 seconds.
    > Meanwhile, the parent application waits until this child process
    > terminates.
    >
    > If I run the dsmc command from the command line, not from within the C+
    > + application, it terminates in the normal amount of time.
    >
    > Again, this is running on AIX 5.3.
    >
    > Thanks again for any help anyone could provide!

    You should run truss on this C++ program (follow childs, with time
    stamps, etc - see man truss), to get an idea what dsmc is waiting for.

  4. Re: AIX 5.3, dsmc, and xlc++

    Thanks for the tip. I will do that and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread