How to buy AIX workstation license - Aix

This is a discussion on How to buy AIX workstation license - Aix ; Hello folks, i'm new to AIX but i've purchased a used Intellistation Power3. It came with no operating system. Now since i definitely want to get a real Unix running on it (and not Linux/BSD), i wonder what is the ...

  1. How to buy AIX workstation license

    Hello folks, i'm new to AIX but i've purchased a used Intellistation
    Power3. It came with no operating system.
    Now since i definitely want to get a real Unix running on it (and not
    Linux/BSD), i wonder what is the legal process to obtaining a license
    for AIX? The install CDs frequently appear on eBay for sale but i
    assume that's not giving me the license. I'm also aware that IBM is
    pricing these licenses differently depending on what hardware and what
    environment/use it is intended for.

    Does IBM have a Web-based ordering option for AIX or is this something
    where one has to "call and talk" to an IBM representative?

  2. Re: How to buy AIX workstation license

    On May 12, 11:40 am, IM aniac wrote:
    > Hello folks, i'm new to AIX but i've purchased a used Intellistation
    > Power3. It came with no operating system.
    > Now since i definitely want to get a real Unix running on it (and not
    > Linux/BSD), i wonder what is the legal process to obtaining a license
    > for AIX? The install CDs frequently appear on eBay for sale but i
    > assume that's not giving me the license. I'm also aware that IBM is
    > pricing these licenses differently depending on what hardware and what
    > environment/use it is intended for.
    >
    > Does IBM have a Web-based ordering option for AIX or is this something
    > where one has to "call and talk" to an IBM representative?

    For POWER 4 processors and below the AIX licensing cost is bundled
    with the hardware so you do not need to purchase anything to run AIX
    besides the installation CDs. If you want hardware or software
    support you will need call an IBM representative and order either the
    8-5 support or 24x7.

    FYI: AIX 6 will not run on POWER 3 hardware so I would recommend AIX
    5.3.

+ Reply to Thread