New user with a question - Aix

This is a discussion on New user with a question - Aix ; Hello everybody, I am Jerry. I have been an AS/400:I-series:System-i administrator since the AS/400 was released. Recently my company was forced by our software company to move to a new platform, my choice was either Windows or Unix, with my ...

  1. New user with a question

    Hello everybody, I am Jerry. I have been an AS/400:I-series:System-i
    administrator since the AS/400 was released. Recently my company was
    forced by our software company to move to a new platform, my choice
    was either Windows or Unix, with my history with IBM the logical
    choice was System P, which is running Oracle.

    We ordered a new p520, I have yet to turn it on, I put it in the rack,
    and the UPS will arrive today. It has a DAT72 drive in it, I had the
    office supply dept order me a case of tapes.

    When I turn it on and log in, the first thing I will want to do is set
    up the backup... any pointers here? I would like to do a full system
    save, then set up scheduled nightly backups. I am so familiar with the
    backup and recovery system in OS/400, I am hoping there is something
    just as good in here??

    Any pointers would be appreciated.

    Jerry

  2. Re: New user with a question

    jerry schrieb:

    > We ordered a new p520, I have yet to turn it on, I put it in the rack,
    > and the UPS will arrive today. It has a DAT72 drive in it, I had the
    > office supply dept order me a case of tapes.

    type: "man mksysb" and "man savevg"

    Good luck!

    --
    Uli

  3. Re: New user with a question

    On May 9, 10:55 am, jerry wrote:
    > Hello everybody, I am Jerry. I have been an AS/400:I-series:System-i
    > administrator since the AS/400 was released. Recently my company was
    > forced by our software company to move to a new platform, my choice
    > was either Windows or Unix, with my history with IBM the logical
    > choice was System P, which is running Oracle.
    >
    > We ordered a new p520, I have yet to turn it on, I put it in the rack,
    > and the UPS will arrive today. It has a DAT72 drive in it, I had the
    > office supply dept order me a case of tapes.
    >
    > When I turn it on and log in, the first thing I will want to do is set
    > up the backup... any pointers here? I would like to do a full system
    > save, then set up scheduled nightly backups. I am so familiar with the
    > backup and recovery system in OS/400, I am hoping there is something
    > just as good in here??
    >
    > Any pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    > Jerry

    AIX systems normally come installed with the help features like
    "man" (online manuals) and the smit menus (System Manager Interface
    Tools). Depending on how you are hooked up, you can expect the ASMI
    menu or the HMC console menu initially and then you must log in to
    access the root user or the shell prompt.

    I would suggest getting familiar with AIX by either reading the
    "Installation Guide" and "Getting Started Guide" or other
    documentation that comes with the system. Attending one or more IBM
    training seminars in your area is also very helpful, since using an AS/
    400 or other mainframe is a bit different than an RS/6000 running AIX.

    Some useful books that may help include the following:

    From O'Reilly & Associates (www.oreilly.com)
    - Learning the Korn Shell (ISBN 0-596-00195-9)
    - Sed and Awk (ISBN 1-56592-225-5)
    - UNIX For Oracle DBAs (ISBN 0-596-00066-9)
    - Learning the VI Editor (ISBN 1-56592-426-6)
    - Essential System Administration (ISBN 0-596-00343-9)
    - Backup & Recovery (ISBN 0-596-10246-1)

    Also take a look at the IBM Redbooks:
    - Certification Study Guide - pSeries AIX System Administration
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...6191.html?Open

    - AIX Logical Volume Manager From A to Z
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...5432.html?Open

    - Database Performance Tuning on AIX
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...5511.html?Open

    You can look on the redbooks website for various other books and
    whitepapers that may assist you.

  4. Re: New user with a question

    On May 9, 2:48 pm, "steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada"
    wrote:
    > On May 9, 10:55 am, jerry wrote:
    >

    > > Hello everybody, I am Jerry. I have been an AS/400:I-series:System-i
    > > administrator since the AS/400 was released. Recently my company was
    > > forced by our software company to move to a new platform, my choice
    > > was either Windows or Unix, with my history with IBM the logical
    > > choice was System P, which is running Oracle.

    > > We ordered a new p520, I have yet to turn it on, I put it in the rack,
    > > and the UPS will arrive today. It has a DAT72 drive in it, I had the
    > > office supply dept order me a case of tapes.

    > > When I turn it on and log in, the first thing I will want to do is set
    > > up the backup... any pointers here? I would like to do a full system
    > > save, then set up scheduled nightly backups. I am so familiar with the
    > > backup and recovery system in OS/400, I am hoping there is something
    > > just as good in here??

    > > Any pointers would be appreciated.

    > > Jerry

    > AIX systems normally come installed with the help features like
    > "man" (online manuals) and the smit menus (System Manager Interface
    > Tools). Depending on how you are hooked up, you can expect the ASMI
    > menu or the HMC console menu initially and then you must log in to
    > access the root user or the shell prompt.
    >
    > I would suggest getting familiar with AIX by either reading the
    > "Installation Guide" and "Getting Started Guide" or other
    > documentation that comes with the system. Attending one or more IBM
    > training seminars in your area is also very helpful, since using an AS/
    > 400 or other mainframe is a bit different than an RS/6000 running AIX.
    >
    > Some useful books that may help include the following:
    >
    > From O'Reilly & Associates (www.oreilly.com)
    > - Learning the Korn Shell (ISBN 0-596-00195-9)
    > - Sed and Awk (ISBN 1-56592-225-5)
    > - UNIX For Oracle DBAs (ISBN 0-596-00066-9)
    > - Learning the VI Editor (ISBN 1-56592-426-6)
    > - Essential System Administration (ISBN 0-596-00343-9)
    > - Backup & Recovery (ISBN 0-596-10246-1)
    >
    > Also take a look at the IBM Redbooks:
    > - Certification Study Guide - pSeries AIX System Administration
    > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...6191.html?Open
    >
    > - AIX Logical Volume Manager From A to Z
    > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...5432.html?Open
    >
    > - Database Performance Tuning on AIX
    > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...5511.html?Open
    >
    > You can look on the redbooks website for various other books and
    > whitepapers that may assist you.

    Thanks, I actually took an IBM AIX class back in the day, around 1998
    or so, my previous employer bought me an IBM education card, and I
    used it ... a lot. But a lot has changed, and I have forgotten almost
    everything. Ill pick up a book, I am sure I can pick it up pretty fast
    again.

+ Reply to Thread