strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1 - Aix

This is a discussion on strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1 - Aix ; Hello group, I am working on an AIX6.1 LPAR with enhanced RBAC and Trusted Aix enabled (so, for security purposes I have installed SSH). I am facing a very strange behaviour of the SSH daemon. When I try to connect ...

  1. strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1

    Hello group,

    I am working on an AIX6.1 LPAR with enhanced RBAC and Trusted Aix
    enabled (so, for security purposes I have installed SSH).

    I am facing a very strange behaviour of the SSH daemon. When I try to
    connect to the LPAR (as user, root cannot login) and I insert my
    passwd the connection is immediately closed by the system.

    I can login correctly ONLY if I insert a wrong passwd the first time a
    I insert the correct passwd the second time.

    Has anyone ever faced something similar? I'm a little puzzled....

    This is what is installed:

    $ lslpp -L |grep ssl
    openssl.base 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    Layer
    openssl.license 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    License
    openssl.man.en_US 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    Layer

    $ lslpp -L |grep ssh
    openssh.base.client 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    Commands
    openssh.base.server 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    Server
    openssh.license 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    License
    openssh.man.en_US 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell

    This is what I get with the correct passwd inserted:

    [root@machine ~]# ssh pluto@x.x.x.x
    pluto@x.x.x.x's password:
    Last unsuccessful login: Wed May 7 08:56:09 CDT 2008 on ssh from
    x.x.x.x
    Last login: Wed May 7 08:56:14 CDT 2008 on ssh from x.x.x.x
    *
    *
    *
    *
    * Welcome to AIX Version
    6.1! *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    * Please see the README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information
    pertinent to *
    * this release of the AIX Operating
    System. *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    Connection to x.x.x.x closed.
    [root@machine ~]#

    Thanks in advance,

    Thomas

  2. Re: strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1

    "TomTom" wrote in message
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I am working on an AIX6.1 LPAR with enhanced RBAC and Trusted Aix
    > enabled (so, for security purposes I have installed SSH).
    >
    > I am facing a very strange behaviour of the SSH daemon. When I try to
    > connect to the LPAR (as user, root cannot login) and I insert my
    > passwd the connection is immediately closed by the system.
    >
    > I can login correctly ONLY if I insert a wrong passwd the first time a
    > I insert the correct passwd the second time.
    >
    > Has anyone ever faced something similar? I'm a little puzzled....
    >
    > This is what is installed:
    >
    > $ lslpp -L |grep ssl
    > openssl.base 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > Layer
    > openssl.license 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > License
    > openssl.man.en_US 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > Layer
    >
    > $ lslpp -L |grep ssh
    > openssh.base.client 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Commands
    > openssh.base.server 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Server
    > openssh.license 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > License
    > openssh.man.en_US 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    >
    > This is what I get with the correct passwd inserted:
    >
    > [root@machine ~]# ssh pluto@x.x.x.x
    > pluto@x.x.x.x's password:
    > Last unsuccessful login: Wed May 7 08:56:09 CDT 2008 on ssh from
    > x.x.x.x
    > Last login: Wed May 7 08:56:14 CDT 2008 on ssh from x.x.x.x
    > ************************************************** *****************************
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > * Welcome to AIX Version
    > 6.1! *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > * Please see the README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information
    > pertinent to *
    > * this release of the AIX Operating
    > System. *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > ************************************************** *****************************
    > Connection to x.x.x.x closed.
    > [root@machine ~]#
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Thomas

    Hi Thomas,

    As I have not used AIX 6.1, I have not run into a problems with OpenSSH on
    AIX 6.1.
    Not sure if you are aware, but the product is properly supported by IBM (not
    sure with Bull), so opening a PMR is an option.

    From my own experiences, many known issues with OpenSSH builds (made by IBM)
    are not made public on the website. So there's a good chance it is a known
    issue under certain circumstances, so you could consider opening a support
    call (when no usefull information is supplied by the public here).

    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1

    TomTom pisze:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I am working on an AIX6.1 LPAR with enhanced RBAC and Trusted Aix
    > enabled (so, for security purposes I have installed SSH).
    >
    > I am facing a very strange behaviour of the SSH daemon. When I try to
    > connect to the LPAR (as user, root cannot login) and I insert my
    > passwd the connection is immediately closed by the system.
    >
    > I can login correctly ONLY if I insert a wrong passwd the first time a
    > I insert the correct passwd the second time.
    >
    > Has anyone ever faced something similar? I'm a little puzzled....
    >
    > This is what is installed:
    >
    > $ lslpp -L |grep ssl
    > openssl.base 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > Layer
    > openssl.license 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > License
    > openssl.man.en_US 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > Layer
    >
    > $ lslpp -L |grep ssh
    > openssh.base.client 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Commands
    > openssh.base.server 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Server
    > openssh.license 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > License
    > openssh.man.en_US 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    >
    > This is what I get with the correct passwd inserted:
    >
    > [root@machine ~]# ssh pluto@x.x.x.x
    > pluto@x.x.x.x's password:
    > Last unsuccessful login: Wed May 7 08:56:09 CDT 2008 on ssh from
    > x.x.x.x
    > Last login: Wed May 7 08:56:14 CDT 2008 on ssh from x.x.x.x
    > ************************************************** *****************************
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > * Welcome to AIX Version
    > 6.1! *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > * Please see the README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information
    > pertinent to *
    > * this release of the AIX Operating
    > System. *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > ************************************************** *****************************
    > Connection to x.x.x.x closed.
    > [root@machine ~]#
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Thomas

    Hello,

    first of all - tryn to connect with verbosity on (-v option) - check man
    ssh in your version to be sure. Maybe this will give you some feedbnack.
    If not - check how you can increase logging level on SSH server and
    check logs. Then try to troubleshoot. If you can't find reason - open PMR

    Regards,
    Blazej Antczak

  4. Re: strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1

    On May 7, 9:54 pm, TomTom wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I am working on an AIX6.1 LPAR with enhanced RBAC and Trusted Aix
    > enabled (so, for security purposes I have installed SSH).
    >
    > I am facing a very strange behaviour of the SSH daemon. When I try to
    > connect to the LPAR (as user, root cannot login) and I insert my
    > passwd the connection is immediately closed by the system.
    >
    > I can login correctly ONLY if I insert a wrong passwd the first time a
    > I insert the correct passwd the second time.
    >
    > Has anyone ever faced something similar? I'm a little puzzled....
    >
    > This is what is installed:
    >
    > $ lslpp -L |grep ssl
    > openssl.base 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > Layer
    > openssl.license 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > License
    > openssl.man.en_US 0.9.8.410 C F Open Secure Socket
    > Layer
    >
    > $ lslpp -L |grep ssh
    > openssh.base.client 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Commands
    > openssh.base.server 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Server
    > openssh.license 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    > License
    > openssh.man.en_US 4.5.0.5302 C F Open Secure Shell
    >
    > This is what I get with the correct passwd inserted:
    >
    > [root@machine ~]# ssh pl...@x.x.x.x
    > pl...@x.x.x.x's password:
    > Last unsuccessful login: Wed May 7 08:56:09 CDT 2008 on ssh from
    > x.x.x.x
    > Last login: Wed May 7 08:56:14 CDT 2008 on ssh from x.x.x.x
    > ************************************************** *****************************
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > * Welcome to AIX Version
    > 6.1! *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > * Please see the README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information
    > pertinent to *
    > * this release of the AIX Operating
    > System. *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > *
    > ************************************************** *****************************
    > Connection to x.x.x.x closed.
    > [root@machine ~]#
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Thomas

    check /etc/netsvc.conf last line should be something lika "hosts =
    local, bind" keep in mind that spaces and comma are sensitive in sme
    cases
    also check if you have /etc/hosts if not - touch it

  5. Re: strange behaviour of SSH - AIX 6.1

    On May 7, 3:54 pm, TomTom wrote:
    > This is what I get with the correct passwd inserted:
    >
    > [root@machine ~]# ssh pluto@x.x.x.x
    > pluto@x.x.x.x's password:
    > Last unsuccessful login: Wed May 7 08:56:09 CDT 2008 on ssh from
    > x.x.x.x
    > Last login: Wed May 7 08:56:14 CDT 2008 on ssh from x.x.x.x
    > Connection to x.x.x.x closed.
    > [root@machine ~]#

    The account is still "valid"? What lsuser says about the user? Are you
    using some directory service?

    # lsuser

+ Reply to Thread