Starting Aix 4.3.3 ML11 without /tmp - Aix

This is a discussion on Starting Aix 4.3.3 ML11 without /tmp - Aix ; Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. I have to restore a mksysb from a server nim because a machine crashed recently (Bull EPC450 - Aix 4.3.3 ML11) But i have discovered that ...

  1. Starting Aix 4.3.3 ML11 without /tmp

    Hello,

    I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little.

    I have to restore a mksysb from a server nim because a machine crashed
    recently (Bull EPC450 - Aix 4.3.3 ML11)

    But i have discovered that the file exclusion based on
    /etc/exclude.rootvg contains the file sytem /tmp on the cliente machine

    Question : if i make the restoration of the system with this mksysb,
    will the machine be start without the file system /tmp.

    Thanks a lot for your answer.

  2. Re: Starting Aix 4.3.3 ML11 without /tmp

    Dantares schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little.
    >
    > I have to restore a mksysb from a server nim because a machine crashed
    > recently (Bull EPC450 - Aix 4.3.3 ML11)
    >
    > But i have discovered that the file exclusion based on
    > /etc/exclude.rootvg contains the file sytem /tmp on the cliente machine
    >
    > Question : if i make the restoration of the system with this mksysb,
    > will the machine be start without the file system /tmp.
    >

    > Thanks a lot for your answer.

    No, only the files in /tmp are not in the backup and so
    cannot be restored. Installation using a mksysb is a multi
    step process. bosinst.data and image.data control the flow
    and filesystem creation. Check the documentation on these
    two files. Both files are part of the backup, so you can
    restore them and check what is in there.

  3. Re: Starting Aix 4.3.3 ML11 without /tmp

    On May 4, 1:08 pm, Dantares wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little.
    >
    > I have to restore a mksysb from a server nim because a machine crashed
    > recently (Bull EPC450 - Aix 4.3.3 ML11)
    >
    > But i have discovered that the file exclusion based on
    > /etc/exclude.rootvg contains the file sytem /tmp on the cliente machine
    >
    > Question : if i make the restoration of the system with this mksysb,
    > will the machine be start without the file system /tmp.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your answer.

    Bonjour Dantares,

    When you re-install from the mksysb, the /tmp file system should
    automatically get created if it is a required file system. Even if
    the /tmp was excluded in the /etc/exclude.rootvg, the file system and
    mount point should get created, but you will NOT have any of the files
    inside it from when the mksysb was made.

    Alors, le file system sera generé par le mksysb pendant
    l'installation, mais il sera vide. Ca n'est pas un problem, car le
    fichiers dedans sont temporaire. Si vous recontre des erreurs a cause
    du /tmp, vous pouvez faire un installation jusqu'au Maintenance Shell
    pour le reparer, ou discuter avec IBM pour des instructions plus
    exacte.

    Bonne chance,

    SteveN

  4. Re: Starting Aix 4.3.3 ML11 without /tmp

    >Thomas Braunbeck a écrit :
    >
    >No, only the files in /tmp are not in the backup and so
    >cannot be restored. Installation using a mksysb is a multi
    >step process. bosinst.data and image.data control the flow
    >and filesystem creation. Check the documentation on these
    >two files. Both files are part of the backup, so you can
    >restore them and check what is in there.
    >
    >steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada a écrit :
    >
    >When you re-install from the mksysb, the /tmp file system should
    >automatically get created if it is a required file system. Even if
    >the /tmp was excluded in the /etc/exclude.rootvg, the file system and
    >mount point should get created, but you will NOT have any of the files
    >inside it from when the mksysb was made.
    >
    >Alors, le file system sera generé par le mksysb pendant
    >l'installation, mais il sera vide. Ca n'est pas un problem, car le
    >fichiers dedans sont temporaire. Si vous recontre des erreurs a cause
    >du /tmp, vous pouvez faire un installation jusqu'au Maintenance Shell
    >pour le reparer, ou discuter avec IBM pour des instructions plus
    >exacte.
    >
    >Bonne chance,
    >
    >SteveN

    Thanks a lot for your answer!