AIX 6.1 or 5.3 with oracle - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 6.1 or 5.3 with oracle - Aix ; Hello, is anybody using aix6.1 (perhaps with EMC DMX and oracle (10g)DB ) for longer period. I would like to hear some experiences about stability, problems .... I am in position to migrate DB server from p5 570 to p6 ...

  1. AIX 6.1 or 5.3 with oracle

    Hello,

    is anybody using aix6.1 (perhaps with EMC DMX and oracle (10g)DB ) for
    longer period.
    I would like to hear some experiences about stability, problems ....

    I am in position to migrate DB server from p5 570 to p6 570 and I am
    wondering is it better to stay on 5.3
    or to go with aix 6.1 with latest TL-SP.

    Thanks in advance,
    Davor

  2. Re: AIX 6.1 or 5.3 with oracle

    On May 1, 12:19 pm, "Davor H" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > is anybody using aix6.1 (perhaps with EMC DMX and oracle (10g)DB ) for
    > longer period.
    > I would like to hear some experiences about stability, problems ....
    >
    > I am in position to migrate DB server from p5 570 to p6 570 and I am
    > wondering is it better to stay on 5.3
    > or to go with aix 6.1 with latest TL-SP.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Davor

    Saw you were still waiting for an answer. I can't give you too much
    advice on the subject, but will say that we are running AIX 5.3 for
    our Oracle 9i and 10g databases. So far it is working fine on that
    rev. If you decide to AIX 6.1, I would make sure to review the
    Metalink website (metalink.oracle.com) and see if they have a product
    matrix or any notes regarding AIX 6.1 known issues.

    For example, when we first went to AIX 5.3, they advised that we
    needed to install Oracle at a specific level (example for 9i it was
    version 9.2.0.8) to make sure our version was compatible with the O/S,
    and then we also had to add an opatch for the query optimizer.

    I would imagine that if you review the metalink site for AIX 6 and
    Oracle 10, they may have some info on APARs that must be installed,
    and a particular Oracle 10g level to use.

    Hope this helps.

    Steve

  3. Re: AIX 6.1 or 5.3 with oracle

    Steven,

    thanks for opinion.

    Davor

  4. Re: AIX 6.1 or 5.3 with oracle

    steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:
    > On May 1, 12:19 pm, "Davor H" wrote:
    >> is anybody using aix6.1 (perhaps with EMC DMX and oracle (10g)DB ) for
    >> longer period.
    >> I would like to hear some experiences about stability, problems ....
    >>
    >> I am in position to migrate DB server from p5 570 to p6 570 and I am
    >> wondering is it better to stay on 5.3
    >> or to go with aix 6.1 with latest TL-SP.

    > Saw you were still waiting for an answer. I can't give you too much
    > advice on the subject, but will say that we are running AIX 5.3 for
    > our Oracle 9i and 10g databases. So far it is working fine on that
    > rev. If you decide to AIX 6.1, I would make sure to review the
    > Metalink website (metalink.oracle.com) and see if they have a product
    > matrix or any notes regarding AIX 6.1 known issues.
    >
    > For example, when we first went to AIX 5.3, they advised that we
    > needed to install Oracle at a specific level (example for 9i it was
    > version 9.2.0.8) to make sure our version was compatible with the O/S,
    > and then we also had to add an opatch for the query optimizer.
    >
    > I would imagine that if you review the metalink site for AIX 6 and
    > Oracle 10, they may have some info on APARs that must be installed,
    > and a particular Oracle 10g level to use.

    I also have no experiences to share, but I can fill you in with a few
    details of what Oracle says:

    10gR2 is supported on AIX 6.1 Service Pack 1 or higher.
    You need to run the 64 bit kernel.
    10gR2 with HACMP is not yet certified.

    You should run a specific rootpre.sh that you can download from Metalink
    to avoid bug 6613550.

    Read Metalink note 282036.1 which contains all the details.

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

+ Reply to Thread