How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ? - Aix

This is a discussion on How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ? - Aix ; using java 5.4 and web application Tomcat server 6 we run web application in AIX. it has 8 GB hard disk aplication stops frequently by throwing exception out of memory when processing some 10000 records.[ this happen only at the ...

  1. How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ?

    using java 5.4 and web application Tomcat server 6 we run web
    application in AIX.

    it has 8 GB hard disk

    aplication stops frequently by throwing exception out of memory when
    processing some 10000 records.[ this happen only at the time of
    processing huge records]

    and create log files in tomcat bin directory.

    we try so many ways

    by increasing heap size for java virtual machine.

    in coding we have set null to string variables in finally block

    we shift to use stringbuffer in program.

    but it not work out.

    where we have made mistake?
    how we have to trouble shoot this problem?

    regards
    siva

  2. Re: How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ?

    On Apr 27, 10:22 am, a.sivakaminat...@gmail.com wrote:
    > using java 5.4 and web application Tomcat server 6 we run web
    > application in AIX.
    >
    > it has 8 GB hard disk
    >
    > aplication stops frequently by throwing exception out of memory when
    > processing some 10000 records.[ this happen only at the time of
    > processing huge records]
    >
    > and create log files in tomcat bin directory.
    >
    > we try so many ways
    >
    > by increasing heap size for java virtual machine.
    >
    > in coding we have set null to string variables in finally block
    >
    > we shift to use stringbuffer in program.
    >
    > but it not work out.
    >
    > where we have made mistake?
    > how we have to trouble shoot this problem?

    First off, whenever you want help on an error, give the
    actual error message.
    Check ulimit and paging space.
    --S

  3. Re: How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ?

    On Apr 27, 4:22 pm, a.sivakaminat...@gmail.com wrote:
    > using java 5.4 and web application Tomcat server 6 we run web
    > application in AIX.
    > how we have to trouble shoot this problem?
    >
    > regards
    > siva

    Configure your server so that it creates dump-files when crashing on
    out of memory. IBM provides tools to analyze the heap-dumps. Those
    will show you (well, you have to search) what objects your
    programmers did store in memory and forgot to release.

    Succes,

    Gerard

  4. Re: How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ?

  5. Re: How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ?

    On 28 avr, 15:13, Mark Taylor wrote:
    > you may be hitting bmaxdata i.e. > 256MB
    >
    > Check this out
    >
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja...uide.aix32.htm...
    >
    > and this
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...jsp?topic=/com...
    >
    > and this
    >
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/es...aix4java1.html
    >
    > and this
    >
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/es...Javaperf3.html
    >
    > HTH
    > Mark Taylor

    Hi from France,

    It could be due to the fact that your program only supports to use
    segment 2 for heap and stack, which is the default.
    You should use bmaxdata vartiable to permit your program to use more
    than one segment for heap.
    Using ldedit (Loader editor) command allows you not to recompile it. I
    don't remember the exact ldedit option to change bmaxdata into your
    module, but ldedit man pages could probably help you to find it.
    Try a value of 4 for example as bmaxdata value and retest it. Using
    ldedit avoids to have to recompile the module. Could be hard if you
    don't have the source code.
    If your module is a 32bits mode, don't set bmaxada more than 11.
    If it is a 64bit mode, it should be ok.

    Hope this helps.

    Patrice

  6. Re: How To avoid out of memory Error in AIX 5.3 server ?

    Many apps are not compiled with maxdata set to a reasonable size
    (usually the default which is 256 MB).
    Put these two environment variable settings in a wrapper script before
    starting your app.

    export IBM_JAVA_MMAP_JAVA_HEAP=true
    export LDR_CNTRL=MAXDATA=0x80000000

+ Reply to Thread