IBM RS/6000 E30 - Aix

This is a discussion on IBM RS/6000 E30 - Aix ; Hi group, I need help. Does anyone know which version of AIX this machine can run? Is there any chance that it can run some 5.x version? Thanks! Branimir...

  1. IBM RS/6000 E30

    Hi group,

    I need help. Does anyone know which version of AIX this machine can run?
    Is there any chance that it can run some 5.x version?

    Thanks!

    Branimir

  2. Re: IBM RS/6000 E30

    Branimir Pejakovic schrieb:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I need help. Does anyone know which version of AIX this machine can run?
    > Is there any chance that it can run some 5.x version?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Branimir

    Hi,

    AIX 5.1 runs for sure. Due to the ISA slots i would assume that it is not
    supported by any later version of AIX.

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  3. Re: IBM RS/6000 E30

    Uwe Auer wrote:
    > Branimir Pejakovic schrieb:
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> I need help. Does anyone know which version of AIX this machine can
    >> run? Is there any chance that it can run some 5.x version?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Branimir

    > Hi,
    >
    > AIX 5.1 runs for sure. Due to the ISA slots i would assume that it is
    > not supported by any later version of AIX.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    Thanks Uwe! The machine works just fine with AIX 5.1. But,
    unfortunately, its NIC (3COM 3C595;
    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/device...ers/README.TXT) is
    not supported by AIX 5.1. I searched IBM web site to find some list of
    supported NICs on 5.1 but I was unsuccessful. Also, I tried to put
    another PCI based NIC into the machine (some RealTek card) but AIX
    (cfgmgr) complains that devices.pci.ec103981 is not installed. Of
    course, this package is not on AIX 5.1 CDs nor I was able to find it on
    the Internet.

    If someone can give me a hint or something where to look for?

    Thanks in advance!

    Branimir

  4. Re: IBM RS/6000 E30

    On Apr 27, 5:12 am, Branimir Pejakovic
    wrote:
    > Uwe Auer wrote:
    > > Branimir Pejakovic schrieb:
    > >> Hi group,

    > >> I need help. Does anyone know which version of AIX this machine can
    > >> run? Is there any chance that it can run some 5.x version?

    > >> Thanks!

    > >> Branimir

    > > Hi,

    > > AIX 5.1 runs for sure. Due to the ISA slots i would assume that it is
    > > not supported by any later version of AIX.

    > > Regards,
    > > Uwe Auer

    > Thanks Uwe! The machine works just fine with AIX 5.1. But,
    > unfortunately, its NIC (3COM 3C595;ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/device...ers/README.TXT) is
    > not supported by AIX 5.1. I searched IBM web site to find some list of
    > supported NICs on 5.1 but I was unsuccessful. Also, I tried to put
    > another PCI based NIC into the machine (some RealTek card) but AIX
    > (cfgmgr) complains that devices.pci.ec103981 is not installed. Of
    > course, this package is not on AIX 5.1 CDs nor I was able to find it on
    > the Internet.
    >
    > If someone can give me a hint or something where to look for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Branimir

    Look for a card by IBM feature code, like 2968. It may be the same
    hardware as some off-the-shelf card, but IBM might have their own
    firmware to make it work in a pSeries. Used cards on eBay are
    not expensive.
    --S

  5. Re: IBM RS/6000 E30

    Branimir Pejakovic schrieb:
    > Uwe Auer wrote:
    >> Branimir Pejakovic schrieb:
    >>> Hi group,
    >>>
    >>> I need help. Does anyone know which version of AIX this machine can
    >>> run? Is there any chance that it can run some 5.x version?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Branimir

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> AIX 5.1 runs for sure. Due to the ISA slots i would assume that it is
    >> not supported by any later version of AIX.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Uwe Auer

    > Thanks Uwe! The machine works just fine with AIX 5.1. But,
    > unfortunately, its NIC (3COM 3C595;
    > ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/device...ers/README.TXT) is
    > not supported by AIX 5.1. I searched IBM web site to find some list of
    > supported NICs on 5.1 but I was unsuccessful. Also, I tried to put
    > another PCI based NIC into the machine (some RealTek card) but AIX
    > (cfgmgr) complains that devices.pci.ec103981 is not installed. Of
    > course, this package is not on AIX 5.1 CDs nor I was able to find it on
    > the Internet.
    >
    > If someone can give me a hint or something where to look for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Branimir

    Hi

    here is a list of all supported NIC feature codes for the 7024-E30:

    |E| A = AVAILABLE S = SUPPORTED
    |3| N = NOT SUPPORTED, MUST BE REMOVED
    |0|
    | |
    FEAT/PN | | DESCRIPTION
    --------|-|-----------------------------------------
    2968 |S| IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter
    2985 |S| PCI Ethernet BNC/RJ-45 Adapter
    2987 |S| PCI Ethernet AUI/RJ-45 Adapter
    2968 |S| IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter
    2985 |S| PCI Ethernet BNC/RJ-45 Adapter
    2987 |S| PCI Ethernet AUI/RJ-45 Adapter

    More information about this system you can get on:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ind...manual,+RPQ%29

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

+ Reply to Thread