Need a Samba nudge - Aix

This is a discussion on Need a Samba nudge - Aix ; Have installed Samba 2.2.7-4 on a AIX 5.2 box as server. Can sought of connect to Samba server from Windows boxes, (still plenty of access denied and password errors) to the point where I can copy files off the AIX ...

  1. Need a Samba nudge

    Have installed Samba 2.2.7-4 on a AIX 5.2 box as server.
    Can sought of connect to Samba server from Windows boxes, (still plenty of
    access denied and password errors) to the point where I can copy files off
    the AIX Samba server into XP, W2k and W98 clients. Still working on W95,
    WFWG and DOS boxes.

    Two areas mystify me where I just cannot get off the ground.

    (1) To set up an AIX 5.3 and AIX 4.3 box as clients, ( which I presume would
    be the same for Solaris and BSD boxes ) to copy files off the AIX 5.2 Samba
    Server, do I install Samba Client and Samba Common 2.2.7-4 off the IBM
    website onto the 5.3 and 4.3 boxes. What procedure is used on the AIX
    clients to get files off the server ie a sought of Windows Explorer setup.

    (2) What is the procedure for a AIX Samba Server to get files off a Windows
    Client. I tried to push files from the Windows client to the Server but it
    did not like the idea. Just kept getting permission denied even using the
    directory Windows used to get files off the server.

    This is all happening on a P2P Workgroup Lan where everyone can ping
    everyone else.

    Read heaps of articles but found nothing to get me started.

    Sorry to take you back into the dark ages.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Need a Samba nudge

    On Apr 24, 6:16 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Have installed Samba 2.2.7-4 on a AIX 5.2 box as server.
    > Can sought of connect to Samba server from Windows boxes, (still plenty of
    > access denied and password errors) to the point where I can copy files off
    > the AIX Samba server into XP, W2k and W98 clients. Still working on W95,
    > WFWG and DOS boxes.
    >
    > Two areas mystify me where I just cannot get off the ground.
    >
    > (1) To set up an AIX 5.3 and AIX 4.3 box as clients, ( which I presume would
    > be the same for Solaris and BSD boxes ) to copy files off the AIX 5.2 Samba
    > Server, do I install Samba Client and Samba Common 2.2.7-4 off the IBM
    > website onto the 5.3 and 4.3 boxes. What procedure is used on the AIX
    > clients to get files off the server ie a sought of Windows Explorer setup.
    >
    > (2) What is the procedure for a AIX Samba Server to get files off a Windows
    > Client. I tried to push files from the Windows client to the Server but it
    > did not like the idea. Just kept getting permission denied even using the
    > directory Windows used to get files off the server.
    >
    > This is all happening on a P2P Workgroup Lan where everyone can ping
    > everyone else.
    >
    > Read heaps of articles but found nothing to get me started.
    >
    > Sorry to take you back into the dark ages.
    >
    > Thanks

    We serve a number of PCs and AIX boxes from a common scratch
    filesystem. This allows everyone to access and transfer files with
    no controls.

    The PCs mount as their H: drive using samba:

    [drive_h]
    comment = drive H partition
    path = /array/esd/drive_h
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    preserve case = yes
    oplocks = no

    The AIX boxes mount the same storage with native NFS. oplocks = no
    was added to prevent some interaction with Windows access which I
    don't recall.

    This system is quite old:
    AIX 4.3.3
    Samba version 2.0.6