root cannot chown files - Aix

This is a discussion on root cannot chown files - Aix ; Hi Folks: I have been under the impression that the root user can do just about anything with files. Now I am having trouble from the root login, trying to chown a couple files. What should I investigate? # id ...

  1. root cannot chown files

    Hi Folks:

    I have been under the impression that the root user can do just about
    anything with files. Now I am having trouble from the root login,
    trying to chown a couple files. What should I investigate?

    # id
    uid=0(root) gid=0(system) groups=2(bin),3(sys),7(security),8(cron),
    10(audit),11(lp)

    # ls -l *xx*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 466 hold4 7725 Oct 03 2006 xxdiff
    -rw------- 1 466 hold4 7724 Oct 03 2006 ~xxdiff

    # chown iscpadm *xx*
    chown: xxdiff: Operation not permitted.
    chown: ~xxdiff: Operation not permitted.
    #

    Thanks,
    Wayne Scott

  2. Re: root cannot chown files

    On Apr 23, 6:43 pm, wscott44 wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > I have been under the impression that the root user can do just about
    > anything with files. Now I am having trouble from the root login,
    > trying to chown a couple files. What should I investigate?
    >
    > # id
    > uid=0(root) gid=0(system) groups=2(bin),3(sys),7(security),8(cron),
    > 10(audit),11(lp)
    >
    > # ls -l *xx*
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 466 hold4 7725 Oct 03 2006 xxdiff
    > -rw------- 1 466 hold4 7724 Oct 03 2006 ~xxdiff
    >
    > # chown iscpadm *xx*
    > chown: xxdiff: Operation not permitted.
    > chown: ~xxdiff: Operation not permitted.
    > #
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wayne Scott

    Working on a NFS, GPFS, DCE, AFS filesystem.
    Using ACL

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: root cannot chown files

    On Apr 23, 12:43*pm, wscott44 wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > I have been under the impression that the root user can do just about
    > anything with files. *Now I am having trouble from the root login,
    > trying to chown a couple files. *What should I investigate?
    >
    > # id
    > uid=0(root) gid=0(system) groups=2(bin),3(sys),7(security),8(cron),
    > 10(audit),11(lp)
    >
    > # ls -l *xx*
    > -rwxr-xr-x * 1 466 * * *hold4 * * * * *7725 Oct 03 2006 *xxdiff
    > -rw------- * 1 466 * * *hold4 * * * * *7724 Oct 03 2006 *~xxdiff
    >
    > # chown iscpadm *xx*
    > chown: xxdiff: Operation not permitted.
    > chown: ~xxdiff: Operation not permitted.
    > #
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wayne Scott

    I have learned that the files are on a file system that is NFS mounted
    from a server which does not explicitly allow root access from the
    client machines.

    /wws

+ Reply to Thread