Is paging on Paging Space ? - Aix

This is a discussion on Is paging on Paging Space ? - Aix ; Hi All Is paging on Paging Space ? moonhkt...

  1. Is paging on Paging Space ?

    Hi All

    Is paging on Paging Space ?

    moonhkt

  2. Re: Is paging on Paging Space ?

    On Apr 22, 4:33 pm, moonhkt wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Is paging on Paging Space ?
    >
    > moonhkt

    That depends on what you mean by "paging". Since code on JFS or JFS2
    in AIX is readonly, it is not necessary to pageout code, only to
    pagein. And since I only need to pagein, code is only paged from the
    filesystem. Code on NFS behaves differently.

  3. Re: Is paging on Paging Space ?

    On Apr 22, 11:52 pm, sjm wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 4:33 pm, moonhkt wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All

    > > Is paging on Paging Space ?

    > > moonhkt

    > That depends on what you mean by "paging". Since code on JFS or JFS2
    > in AIX is readonly, it is not necessary to pageout code, only to
    > pagein. And since I only need to pagein, code is only paged from the
    > filesystem. Code on NFS behaves differently.

    I suppose your query is whether all the paging activity involves the
    paging space? Well answer to this one is No. Only working storage
    pages use the paging space. All the permanent storage pages use the
    file space instead. Pls check vmstat -s to find out stats on total
    page in/out (includes paging space as well as file space) and the
    paging space pages in/out.
    HTH
    Ashok Sangra

+ Reply to Thread