aix xntp problem - Aix

This is a discussion on aix xntp problem - Aix ; Hi I have an annoying problem with ntp on AIX 5.3 TL7. This is what I did: 1. I have enabled start of xntpd in /etc/rc.tcpip 2. /etc/ntp.conf looks like this: server broadcastclient driftfile /etc/ntp.drift tracefile /etc/ntp.trace 3. I run ...

  1. aix xntp problem

    Hi

    I have an annoying problem with ntp on AIX 5.3 TL7. This is what I
    did:
    1. I have enabled start of xntpd in /etc/rc.tcpip
    2. /etc/ntp.conf looks like this:

    server
    broadcastclient

    driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    tracefile /etc/ntp.trace

    3. I run ntpdate
    4. Finally, I run startsrc -s xntpd

    The subsystem has started and runs just fine without a crash. The time
    is correct, the date is correct, the time zone is good (I set it
    earlier). There is no error regarding to xntp src. But...
    The xntpd does not start after reboot. After reboot the date and time
    are still correct and seem to be synchronized. But xntpd subsystem is
    inoperative. After every reboot I have to start it manually. Then I
    run ntpq -p and the output is like this:

    remote refid st t when poll reach delay
    offset disp
    *x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 4 u 94 128 377 1.16 -0.367
    0.12

    So the offset is not the issue. After reboot there is no error in
    errorlog and after starting src manually ntp runs just fine without
    the crash.
    Am I doing something wrong or what? Why xntpd doesn't start after
    reboot? I have thi issue on all my LPARs in p595 server, firmware
    version SF240_320. I will appreciate any help, thanks in advance

  2. Re: aix xntp problem

    On Apr 21, 5:02 pm, Marcin.Tabinow...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an annoying problem with ntp on AIX 5.3 TL7. This is what I
    > did:
    > 1. I have enabled start of xntpd in /etc/rc.tcpip
    > 2. /etc/ntp.conf looks like this:
    >
    > server
    > broadcastclient
    >
    > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    > tracefile /etc/ntp.trace
    >
    > 3. I run ntpdate
    > 4. Finally, I run startsrc -s xntpd
    >
    > The subsystem has started and runs just fine without a crash. The time
    > is correct, the date is correct, the time zone is good (I set it
    > earlier). There is no error regarding to xntp src. But...
    > The xntpd does not start after reboot. After reboot the date and time
    > are still correct and seem to be synchronized. But xntpd subsystem is
    > inoperative. After every reboot I have to start it manually. Then I
    > run ntpq -p and the output is like this:
    >
    > remote refid st t when poll reach delay
    > offset disp
    > ================================================== ============================
    > *x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 4 u 94 128 377 1.16 -0.367
    > 0.12
    >
    > So the offset is not the issue. After reboot there is no error in
    > errorlog and after starting src manually ntp runs just fine without
    > the crash.
    > Am I doing something wrong or what? Why xntpd doesn't start after
    > reboot? I have thi issue on all my LPARs in p595 server, firmware
    > version SF240_320. I will appreciate any help, thanks in advance

    Check the conslog to check whether or not you see a messages for the
    xntpd during boot.
    From memory
    $ alog -f /var/ras/adm/conslog -o

    or put even an lssrc -s xntpd right after the start of the xntpd

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: aix xntp problem

    On Apr 21, 8:02*pm, Marcin.Tabinow...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an annoying problem with ntp on AIX 5.3 TL7. This is what I
    > did:
    > 1. I have enabled start of xntpd in /etc/rc.tcpip
    > 2. /etc/ntp.conf looks like this:
    >
    > server
    > broadcastclient
    >
    > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    > tracefile /etc/ntp.trace
    >
    > 3. I run ntpdate
    > 4. Finally, I run startsrc -s xntpd
    >
    > The subsystem has started and runs just fine without a crash. The time
    > is correct, the date is correct, the time zone is good (I set it
    > earlier). There is no error regarding to xntp src. But...
    > The xntpd does not start after reboot. After reboot the date and time
    > are still correct and seem to be synchronized. But xntpd subsystem is
    > inoperative. After every reboot I have to start it manually. Then I
    > run ntpq -p and the output is like this:
    >
    > * * *remote * * * * * refid * * *st t when poll reach * delay
    > offset * *disp
    > ================================================== =========================*===
    > *x.x.x.x * * * x.x.x.x * * *4 u * 94 *128 *377 * * 1..16 * -0.367
    > 0.12
    >
    > So the offset is not the issue. After reboot there is no error in
    > errorlog and after starting src manually ntp runs just fine without
    > the crash.
    > Am I doing something wrong or what? Why xntpd doesn't start after
    > reboot? I have thi issue on all my LPARs in p595 server, firmware
    > version SF240_320. I will appreciate any help, thanks in advance

    Try strating the xntpd daemon at system boot by putting the following
    entry in /etc/inittab
    xntp:2nce:/usr/bin/startsrc ľs xntpd > /dev/console 2>&1
    I suppose xntpd doesn't get initialized through rc.tcpip. Pls correct
    if I am wrong.
    HTH
    Ashok Sangra

  4. Re: aix xntp problem

    On 22 Kwi, 09:44, Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 8:02 pm, Marcin.Tabinow...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi

    > > I have an annoying problem with ntp on AIX 5.3 TL7. This is what I
    > > did:
    > > 1. I have enabled start of xntpd in /etc/rc.tcpip
    > > 2. /etc/ntp.conf looks like this:

    > > server
    > > broadcastclient

    > > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
    > > tracefile /etc/ntp.trace

    > > 3. I run ntpdate
    > > 4. Finally, I run startsrc -s xntpd

    > > The subsystem has started and runs just fine without a crash. The time
    > > is correct, the date is correct, the time zone is good (I set it
    > > earlier). There is no error regarding to xntp src. But...
    > > The xntpd does not start after reboot. After reboot the date and time
    > > are still correct and seem to be synchronized. But xntpd subsystem is
    > > inoperative. After every reboot I have to start it manually. Then I
    > > run ntpq -p and the output is like this:

    > > remote refid st t when poll reach delay
    > > offset disp
    > > ================================================== =========================--===
    > > *x.x.x.x x.x.x.x 4 u 94 128 377 1.16 -0.367
    > > 0.12

    > > So the offset is not the issue. After reboot there is no error in
    > > errorlog and after starting src manually ntp runs just fine without
    > > the crash.
    > > Am I doing something wrong or what? Why xntpd doesn't start after
    > > reboot? I have thi issue on all my LPARs in p595 server, firmware
    > > version SF240_320. I will appreciate any help, thanks in advance

    > Try strating the xntpd daemon at system boot by putting the following
    > entry in /etc/inittab
    > xntp:2nce:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/console 2>&1
    > I suppose xntpd doesn't get initialized through rc.tcpip. Pls correct
    > if I am wrong.
    > HTH
    > Ashok Sangra- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
    >
    > - Poka┐ cytowany tekst -

    Conslog is clear, adding xntp:2nce:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/
    console 2>&1 to inittab makes no effect, hovever when I put xntp:
    2:respawn:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/console 2>&1 to inittab
    and restart, the message has occured in /var/adm/ras/conslog:

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    id: xntp "/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd /dev/console 2>&1"

    The xntp subsystem was still inoperative. So, it seems the xntp is
    starting and stopping very fast. But whty is it stopping? I put all
    facilities in all priority levels in syslog but after restart there is
    no entry in log file. There also are no errors in bootlog or errorlog.
    After starting inoperative system manually the entry shows in syslog:

    Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:info xntpd[327904]: precision = 6
    usec

    But I see no errors here either Is that possible the xntp starts at
    reboot time, synchronizes the time with ntp server and then stops
    normally? I think I run out of ideas abouthis silly problem :P

  5. Re: aix xntp problem

    On Apr 22, 2:21*pm, Marcin.Tabinow...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > facilities in all priority levels in syslog but after restart there is
    > no entry in log file. There also are no errors in bootlog or errorlog.
    > After starting inoperative system manually the entry shows in syslog:
    >
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    > tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    > tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:info xntpd[327904]: precision = 6
    > usec
    >
    > But I see no errors here either Is that possible the xntp starts at
    > reboot time, synchronizes the time with ntp server and then stops
    > normally? I think I run out of ideas abouthis silly problem :P- Hide quoted text -

    As mentioned by you in your original post - running startsrc -s xntpd
    from the command line starts the daemon and keeps it running. Then it
    should also be running without any issue when it is run through
    inittab. This is just to automate the start of process and to keep it
    running at that runlevel.
    -Ashok

  6. Re: aix xntp problem

    On 22 Kwi, 11:38, Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 2:21┬*pm, Marcin.Tabinow...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Try strating the xntpd daemon at system boot by putting the following
    > > > entry in /etc/inittab
    > > > xntp:2nce:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/console 2>&1
    > > > I suppose xntpd doesn't get initialized through rc.tcpip. Pls correct
    > > > if I am wrong.
    > > > HTH
    > > > Ashok Sangra- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

    > > > - Poka┬┐ cytowany tekst -

    > > Conslog is clear, adding xntp:2nce:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/
    > > console 2>&1 to inittab makes no effect, hovever when I put xntp:
    > > 2:respawn:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/console 2>&1 to inittab
    > > and restart, the message has occured in /var/adm/ras/conslog:

    > > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > > id: ┬*xntp "/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd /dev/console 2>&1"

    > > The xntp subsystem was still inoperative. So, it seems the xntp is
    > > starting and stopping very fast. But whty is it stopping? I put all
    > > facilities in all priority levels in syslog but after restart there is
    > > no entry in log file. There also are no errors in bootlog or errorlog.
    > > After starting inoperative system manually the entry shows in syslog:

    > > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    > > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    > > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    > > tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    > > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    > > tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    > > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:info xntpd[327904]: precision = 6
    > > usec

    > > But I see no errors here either Is that possible the xntp starts at
    > > reboot time, synchronizes the time with ntp server and then stops
    > > normally? I think I run out of ideas abouthis silly problem :P- Hide quoted text -

    > As mentioned by you in your original post - running startsrc -s xntpd
    > from the command line starts the daemon and keeps it running. Then it
    > should also be running without any issue when it is run through
    > inittab. This is just to automate the start of process and to keep it
    > running at that runlevel.
    > -Ashok- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
    >
    > - Poka┼╝ cytowany tekst -

    Well, it should but this isn't happening. As I posted above, puting an
    entry in inittab:
    xntp:2nce:/usr/bin/startsrc -s xntpd > /dev/console 2>&1
    and rebooting does NOT start xntpd. It is still inoperative and I
    could't find any error in any place in AIX.
    I know, it's strange. I have the latest version of AIX with latest
    technical level and fix packs. Maybe there is just an unknown error.
    But thank You for Your reply, appreciate this

  7. Re: aix xntp problem

    On Apr 22, 11:21 am, Marcin.Tabinow...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > facilities in all priority levels in syslog but after restart there is
    > no entry in log file. There also are no errors in bootlog or errorlog.
    > After starting inoperative system manually the entry shows in syslog:
    >
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: 3.4y
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    > tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:notice xntpd[327904]: tickadj = 1000,
    > tick = 10000, tvu_maxslew = 99000
    > Apr 22 11:07:36 piwmbtdev daemon:info xntpd[327904]: precision = 6
    > usec
    >
    > But I see no errors here either Is that possible the xntp starts at
    > reboot time, synchronizes the time with ntp server and then stops
    > normally? I think I run out of ideas abouthis silly problem :P

    1) Disable xntpd in the /etc/rc.tcpcip
    2) Start xntpd from the inittab as the LAST entry and directly with
    the debug option
    xntp:2nce:/usr/sbin/xntpd -D 10 > /dev/console 2>&1

    In case it is working move the initab entry directly AFTER the
    rctcpip:23456789: .....
    entry

    Also check that the inittab order is correct. meaning that the network
    is already configured and the rctcpip is right after srcmstr.
    Example:
    srcmstr:23456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/srcmstr # System Resource
    Controller
    rctcpip:23456789:wait:/e

    Also check your /etc/rc.net file. Cuurently i assume that at the time
    you try to start the xntpd the network is not configured.
    For debuuging you can also write a wrapper script for the xntpd to
    check the environment at the time the xntpd started.
    Meaning move /usr/sbin/xntpd to /usr/sbin/xntpd.exe and create a shell
    script /usr/sbin/xntpd , make it executable and reactivate the start
    from the rc.tcpip.
    The script itself could look like

    #!/usr/bin/ksh
    ifconfig -a
    echo $PATH
    /usr/sbin/xntpd -D

    hth
    Hajo

  8. Re: aix xntp problem ( Fix for wrapper )

    > /usr/sbin/xntpd -D

    This must be of cource
    /usr/sbin/xntpd.exe -D

+ Reply to Thread