nim + multiple interfaces/subnets - Aix

This is a discussion on nim + multiple interfaces/subnets - Aix ; we've nim up and running well within our org. most of our systems have attachment to two networks; the public/LAN side of the house and a back-end/faster backup network. lan runs at 10/100, ban runs at gb/s (don't ask, not ...

  1. nim + multiple interfaces/subnets

    we've nim up and running well within our org. most of our systems have
    attachment to two networks; the public/LAN side of the house and a
    back-end/faster backup network. lan runs at 10/100, ban runs at gb/s
    (don't ask, not our choice . both our nims have attachment to both
    networks. is there a way the nim can coexist/use both networks based on
    some sort of host preference? both nim's primary interface is the
    lan-connected interface. i tried some hosttable trickery to make the nim
    talk to a client but never had any totally succesful nim operations.
    i've done some cursory digging through the support site and the
    recently-updated redbook but so far nothing relative to this topic has
    shown itself. if someone's done this or can point me to the spot in the
    docs i'm missing i'd appreciate it.

    thx,
    -r

  2. Re: nim + multiple interfaces/subnets

    No Body schrieb:
    > we've nim up and running well within our org. most of our systems have
    > attachment to two networks; the public/LAN side of the house and a
    > back-end/faster backup network. lan runs at 10/100, ban runs at gb/s
    > (don't ask, not our choice . both our nims have attachment to both
    > networks. is there a way the nim can coexist/use both networks based on
    > some sort of host preference? both nim's primary interface is the
    > lan-connected interface. i tried some hosttable trickery to make the nim
    > talk to a client but never had any totally succesful nim operations.
    > i've done some cursory digging through the support site and the
    > recently-updated redbook but so far nothing relative to this topic has
    > shown itself. if someone's done this or can point me to the spot in the
    > docs i'm missing i'd appreciate it.
    >
    > thx,
    > -r

    Hi,

    if you want NIM to communicate on both networks to a specific client -

    |<--- Network A ------>|
    NIM ---| |--- Client A
    |<----Network B ------>|

    then to my knowledge there is no way other than assigning two logical
    NIM clients for a physical client

    If you mean, that you want to decide on a per client basis over which
    network communication should go,

    |<--- Network A ------>|--- Client A
    NIM ---|
    |<----Network B ------>|--- Client B

    sure you can define as many install interface as you have interfaces on
    your NIM server. Just add an additional "install interface" in
    "smit nim"
    => Perform NIM Administration Tasks
    => Manage Machines
    => Manage Network Install Interfaces
    => Define a Network Install Interface
    From the selection list of NIM machines select "master" and add the
    appropriate ip label (i don't like the naming "hostname" when dealing
    with ip to names relations) of the interface.

    If you got a DNS and no /etc/hosts you have to assure that your DNS
    contains different names for the different ip addresses of a server. You
    can manage this within /etc/hosts and/or /etc/netsvc.conf (host=local,bind).

    Furthermore the catchword "NIM Install Routing" may be important to you.
    But to give a detailed information here, i'd need more information about
    your network (quite flat or quite "subnetted").

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  3. Re: nim + multiple interfaces/subnets

    Uwe Auer wrote:
    > if you want NIM to communicate on both networks to a specific client -
    >
    > |<--- Network A ------>|
    > NIM ---| |--- Client A
    > |<----Network B ------>|
    >
    > then to my knowledge there is no way other than assigning two logical
    > NIM clients for a physical client

    ... which (from what little playing i've done so far) doesn't work even
    with 2 logical nim clients as /etc/niminfo can only know about one and
    'kind of' ignores the other (again, tasks appeared to partially
    complete). i've no problem with hosts being double-entered as it gave me
    specificity on what path to take (host bob or host bob-ban) but my
    attempts didn't work as expected.

    > "smit nim"
    > => Perform NIM Administration Tasks
    > => Manage Machines
    > => Manage Network Install Interfaces
    > => Define a Network Install Interface

    this i apparently overlooked in my reading/playing and will go back for
    a second look. i'll look at the 'install routing' thing; we're more
    subnetted than flat so i figured i'll have to define a few more nim
    'networks' than i have today anyway (something i knew was also part of
    my problem but am working to figure out). i figure this path will be my
    ultimate solution.

    thanks for the insight,
    -r

+ Reply to Thread