Aix, Perl, ulimit - Aix

This is a discussion on Aix, Perl, ulimit - Aix ; Hi all, I've configured limit on my aix server : # ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) unlimited memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 2097151 nofiles(descriptors) 2000 So, if i use perl like this : # perl system("ulimit -a"); time(seconds) ...

  1. Aix, Perl, ulimit

    Hi all,

    I've configured limit on my aix server :

    # ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) unlimited
    stack(kbytes) unlimited
    memory(kbytes) unlimited
    coredump(blocks) 2097151
    nofiles(descriptors) 2000

    So, if i use perl like this :

    # perl
    system("ulimit -a");
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 2097152
    stack(kbytes) unlimited
    memory(kbytes) unlimited
    coredump(blocks) 2097151
    nofiles(descriptors) 2000

    The data parameters is not correct.

    It's a problem for me because every program i will launch on this way
    will be restricted to the data value.

    Does anyone know why the data parameters is not correct ?
    My ulimit parameters are persistent.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Aix, Perl, ulimit

    On Apr 1, 1:48 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've configured limit on my aix server :
    >
    > # ulimit -a
    > time(seconds) unlimited
    > file(blocks) unlimited
    > data(kbytes) unlimited
    > stack(kbytes) unlimited
    > memory(kbytes) unlimited
    > coredump(blocks) 2097151
    > nofiles(descriptors) 2000
    >
    > So, if i use perl like this :
    >
    > # perl
    > system("ulimit -a");
    > time(seconds) unlimited
    > file(blocks) unlimited
    > data(kbytes) 2097152
    > stack(kbytes) unlimited
    > memory(kbytes) unlimited
    > coredump(blocks) 2097151
    > nofiles(descriptors) 2000
    >
    > The data parameters is not correct.
    >
    > It's a problem for me because every program i will launch on this way
    > will be restricted to the data value.
    >
    > Does anyone know why the data parameters is not correct ?
    > My ulimit parameters are persistent.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Linker options when perl is built:

    perl -V |grep maxdata
    ld='ld', ldflags =' -brtl -b32 -bmaxdata:0x80000000'

    Maybe there is a 64-bit build of perl for AIX?

  3. Re: Aix, Perl, ulimit

    On Apr 1, 8:23 pm, smallpond wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 1:48 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all,

    > > I've configured limit on my aix server :

    > > # ulimit -a
    > > time(seconds) unlimited
    > > file(blocks) unlimited
    > > data(kbytes) unlimited
    > > stack(kbytes) unlimited
    > > memory(kbytes) unlimited
    > > coredump(blocks) 2097151
    > > nofiles(descriptors) 2000

    > > So, if i use perl like this :

    > > # perl
    > > system("ulimit -a");
    > > time(seconds) unlimited
    > > file(blocks) unlimited
    > > data(kbytes) 2097152
    > > stack(kbytes) unlimited
    > > memory(kbytes) unlimited
    > > coredump(blocks) 2097151
    > > nofiles(descriptors) 2000

    > > The data parameters is not correct.

    > > It's a problem for me because every program i will launch on this way
    > > will be restricted to the data value.

    > > Does anyone know why the data parameters is not correct ?
    > > My ulimit parameters are persistent.

    > > Thanks,

    > Linker options when perl is built:
    >
    > perl -V |grep maxdata
    > ld='ld', ldflags =' -brtl -b32 -bmaxdata:0x80000000'
    >
    > Maybe there is a 64-bit build of perl for AIX?

    My perl installation was compiled with the same maxdata value as you
    specified above, even 64 bit binaries...

    # perl -V | grep maxdata
    ld='ld', ldflags ='-brtl -bmaxdata:0x80000000 -q64 -b64'

    0x80000000 == 2147483648 == 2097152 kbytes...

    I know what i have to do...

    Thanks

  4. Re: Aix, Perl, ulimit

    laurent.oliva@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 8:23 pm, smallpond wrote:
    >> On Apr 1, 1:48 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"

    > # perl -V | grep maxdata
    > ld='ld', ldflags ='-brtl -bmaxdata:0x80000000 -q64 -b64'
    >
    > 0x80000000 == 2147483648 == 2097152 kbytes...
    >
    > I know what i have to do...

    I'm against unlimited ulimit settings - it's just as bad as running
    third party applications as root. Limits provide a last resort safety
    net that should just not be removed.

    Nothing wrong with just incrementing maxdata for perl:

    ldedit -b maxdata:0xA0000000 perl

    but I'd never use unlimited data, stack and memory settings for any user
    even if I have take the time to calculate a sane limit as a percentage
    of realmem.

    cheers
    Niel

  5. Re: Aix, Perl, ulimit

    laurent.oliva@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 1, 8:23 pm, smallpond wrote:
    >> On Apr 1, 1:48 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"

    > # perl -V | grep maxdata
    > ld='ld', ldflags ='-brtl -bmaxdata:0x80000000 -q64 -b64'
    >
    > 0x80000000 == 2147483648 == 2097152 kbytes...
    >
    > I know what i have to do...

    I'm against unlimited ulimit settings - it's just as bad as running
    third party applications as root. Limits provide a last resort safety
    net that should just not be removed.

    Nothing wrong with just incrementing maxdata for perl:

    ldedit -b maxdata:0xA0000000 perl

    but I'd never use unlimited data, stack and memory settings for any user
    even if I have take the time to calculate a sane limit as a percentage
    of realmem.

    cheers
    Niel

+ Reply to Thread