We're running AIX 5.3. We're using WebLogic 9.2.2, with the Java5_64
JVM. We have some trouble with native libraries, so when I run the
nodemanager startup script from bourne shell, it fails to find the
native library, and it prints the exception to the console. However,
if I run nodemanager from the bash shell (much more convenient), it
seems to complete without error, but I see that the process didn't
actually start. So, I guess it failed, but it didn't print any errors
to stdout.

I'm talking with BEA about my native library problems, but what I'm
asking you is, why is the behavior of bourne shell and bash different
in this case? Is there an obvious answer why I would get the error
output using bourne shell, but not with bash?