Unable to kill a frmweb process - Aix

This is a discussion on Unable to kill a frmweb process - Aix ; Hello, We are unable to kill an Oracle frmweb process using the kill command #kill -9 even as a root user. The process continues to be there. A call has been logged with Oracle but they doubt some OS specific ...

  1. Unable to kill a frmweb process

    Hello,

    We are unable to kill an Oracle frmweb process using the kill command
    #kill -9 even as a root user. The process continues to be there.
    A call has been logged with Oracle but they doubt some OS specific
    problem as the issue is not getting resolved even after applying some
    Oracle related patches.
    How is it that the OS is not able to control a process and unable to
    kill it. Pls advice.

    Thanks,
    Ashok

  2. Re: Unable to kill a frmweb process

    Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > How is it that the OS is not able to control a process and unable to
    > kill it. Pls advice.

    Maybe the process is in the state of uninterruptible sleep,
    usually i/o)

  3. Re: Unable to kill a frmweb process

    On Feb 26, 4:42 pm, MGrd wrote:
    > Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > > How is it that the OS is not able to control a process and unable to
    > > kill it. Pls advice.

    > Maybe the process is in the state of uninterruptible sleep,
    > usually i/o)

    One more thing worth mentioning here is that there is a wait of 25%
    while the frmweb process is active. Is there something / some tool to
    kill it apart from kill -9 as it is not working.
    TIA
    Ashok

  4. Re: Unable to kill a frmweb process

    On 2008-02-26, Ashok Sangra wrote:

    > One more thing worth mentioning here is that there is a wait of 25%
    > while the frmweb process is active. Is there something / some tool to
    > kill it apart from kill -9 as it is not working.

    If kill -9 doesn't immediately kill a process, the kernel is processing
    an uninterruptable system call from that process. If that system call
    is stuck (e.g. in a device driver), the only way to safely kill the process
    is to reboot.
    --
    Jurjen Oskam

    Savage's Law of Expediency:
    You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

  5. Re: Unable to kill a frmweb process

    Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > One more thing worth mentioning here is that there is a wait of 25%
    > while the frmweb process is active. Is there something / some tool to
    > kill it apart from kill -9 as it is not working.

    kill -STOP pid

    will prevent any further scheduling, i.e. process TIME will not increase.

    But it will not remove it from the process table.

    Niel

  6. Re: Unable to kill a frmweb process

    Ashok Sangra wrote:
    > One more thing worth mentioning here is that there is a wait of 25%
    > while the frmweb process is active. Is there something / some tool to
    > kill it apart from kill -9 as it is not working.
    > TIA
    > Ashok

    If you do not want to reboot you could try

    kill -STOP pid

    and ignore the suspended process. At least the process will not consume
    further CPU.

    Niel

  7. Re: Unable to kill a frmweb process

    Niel Lambrechts schrieb:
    > Ashok Sangra wrote:
    >> One more thing worth mentioning here is that there is a wait of 25%
    >> while the frmweb process is active. Is there something / some tool to
    >> kill it apart from kill -9 as it is not working.

    > kill -STOP pid
    >
    > will prevent any further scheduling, i.e. process TIME will not increase.
    >
    > But it will not remove it from the process table.
    >
    > Niel

    If a kill -9 does not terminate it, then I fear the STOP
    will stop it (if it is running at all). Get
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/tools/debug/pdump.sh
    and run it against the PID. This will use kdb to get some
    information. Open a call with IBM and check with them
    if they need a system dump (if pdump.sh does not gather
    enough data).

+ Reply to Thread