snmp_v3 daemon and snmp_v1 subagent - Aix

This is a discussion on snmp_v3 daemon and snmp_v1 subagent - Aix ; Is it possible to run a snmp subagent, which is able to talk to a snmp_v1 daemon (not v3) only, against a snmp_v3 daemon? As far as I understand: - snmp_v1 daemon used the dpid2 daemon as a "translator" between ...

  1. snmp_v3 daemon and snmp_v1 subagent

    Is it possible to run a snmp subagent, which is able to talk to a
    snmp_v1 daemon (not v3) only, against a snmp_v3 daemon?

    As far as I understand:
    - snmp_v1 daemon used the dpid2 daemon as a "translator" between the
    snmp daemon and the subagent.
    - snmp_v3 daemon has the dpid2 functionality build in.
    running the dpid2 too will not work/is forbidden.

    My problem is:
    I have two subagents.
    One requires a snmp_v.3 daemonthe other a snmp_v.1 daemon.
    The v1_subagent cannot register at the daemon.

    I would have expected the snmp_v3 to communicate to v1_subagents, esp.
    if it has the functionality of the dpid2 included.
    But so far it doesn't look like it.

    I appreciate any help,
    thanks guys.

  2. Re: snmp_v3 daemon and snmp_v1 subagent

    After thinking again about it, it's not an issue of dpid2 etc.
    The only question is:

    How to run a snmp_v.1 only capable subagent against a snmp_v.3 daemon?

+ Reply to Thread