mksysb restore AIX 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on mksysb restore AIX 5.3 - Aix ; hello, Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when performing a mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a non-rootvg on the box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the machine using the ...

  1. mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    hello,

    Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when performing a
    mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a non-rootvg on the
    box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the machine using the
    mksysb, the /etc/filesystems file then had the post mksysb filesystems
    listed in it (even though the mksysb should have overwritten the file). My
    guess is that AIX finds the filesystems when doing the varyon on the
    non-rootvg and creates the filesystem entries. We checked the
    /etc/filesystems on the mksysb tape and it did _not_ have the additional
    non-rootvg filesystems in it. Can someone clarify the actual events that
    would have occurred here?

    cheers

  2. Re: mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    rancid moth wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when performing a
    > mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a non-rootvg on the
    > box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the machine using the
    > mksysb, the /etc/filesystems file then had the post mksysb filesystems
    > listed in it (even though the mksysb should have overwritten the file). My
    > guess is that AIX finds the filesystems when doing the varyon on the
    > non-rootvg and creates the filesystem entries. We checked the
    > /etc/filesystems on the mksysb tape and it did _not_ have the additional
    > non-rootvg filesystems in it. Can someone clarify the actual events that
    > would have occurred here?
    >
    > cheers

    I have never done a restore with this intention, but my guess would be
    that you had "Import Volume Groups" set to yes. Disclaimer: this is
    not the exact verbage. File system data gets stored in the volume
    group, and gets added to /etc/filesystems when the volume group is
    imported. From there, you can guess the rest.

    If this is not the desired behavior, set that option to "no" before the
    restore.

    Cheers,

    SG

  3. Re: mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    rancid moth schrieb:
    > hello,
    >
    > Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when performing a
    > mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a non-rootvg on the
    > box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the machine using the
    > mksysb, the /etc/filesystems file then had the post mksysb filesystems
    > listed in it (even though the mksysb should have overwritten the file). My
    > guess is that AIX finds the filesystems when doing the varyon on the
    > non-rootvg and creates the filesystem entries. We checked the
    > /etc/filesystems on the mksysb tape and it did _not_ have the additional
    > non-rootvg filesystems in it. Can someone clarify the actual events that
    > would have occurred here?
    >
    > cheers

    Hi,

    please check the file bosinst.data on your system you have recovered.
    The stanza IMPORT_USER_VGS determines what happens, when you do a
    restore. If it is set to "yes" then restore procedure executes an
    "importvg" and all of your "external" filesystems will be redefined into
    /etc/filesystems, since this is the way importvg works.

    If you have used NIM to restore your mksysb, check whether you or your
    NIM admin had created a NIM bosinst.data resource and check the
    IMPORT_USER_VGS setting there, since allocation of a NIM bosinst.data
    resource for a restore overrides what is defined in the images bosinst.data.

    The other event may be, that you have imported external vg manually by
    executing "importvg" on the command line.

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  4. Re: mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    On Feb 25, 8:20 am, Uwe Auer wrote:
    > rancid moth schrieb:
    >
    > > hello,

    > > Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when performing a
    > > mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a non-rootvg on the
    > > box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the machine using the
    > > mksysb, the /etc/filesystems file then had the post mksysb filesystems
    > > listed in it (even though the mksysb should have overwritten the file). My
    > > guess is that AIX finds the filesystems when doing the varyon on the
    > > non-rootvg and creates the filesystem entries. We checked the
    > > /etc/filesystems on the mksysb tape and it did _not_ have the additional
    > > non-rootvg filesystems in it. Can someone clarify the actual events that
    > > would have occurred here?

    > > cheers

    > Hi,
    >
    > please check the file bosinst.data on your system you have recovered.
    > The stanza IMPORT_USER_VGS determines what happens, when you do a
    > restore. If it is set to "yes" then restore procedure executes an
    > "importvg" and all of your "external" filesystems will be redefined into
    > /etc/filesystems, since this is the way importvg works.
    >
    > If you have used NIM to restore your mksysb, check whether you or your
    > NIM admin had created a NIM bosinst.data resource and check the
    > IMPORT_USER_VGS setting there, since allocation of a NIM bosinst.data
    > resource for a restore overrides what is defined in the images bosinst.data.
    >
    > The other event may be, that you have imported external vg manually by
    > executing "importvg" on the command line.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    Just to state the bl*****g obvious, do the non-rootvg vgs still exist
    on disk? A mksysb does not back up non-rootvg vgs.

  5. Re: mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    "Uwe Auer" wrote in message
    > rancid moth schrieb:
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when
    >> performing a mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a
    >> non-rootvg on the box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the
    >> machine using the mksysb, the /etc/filesystems file then had the post
    >> mksysb filesystems listed in it (even though the mksysb should have
    >> overwritten the file). My guess is that AIX finds the filesystems when
    >> doing the varyon on the non-rootvg and creates the filesystem entries.
    >> We checked the /etc/filesystems on the mksysb tape and it did _not_ have
    >> the additional non-rootvg filesystems in it. Can someone clarify the
    >> actual events that would have occurred here?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > please check the file bosinst.data on your system you have recovered. The
    > stanza IMPORT_USER_VGS determines what happens, when you do a restore. If
    > it is set to "yes" then restore procedure executes an "importvg" and all
    > of your "external" filesystems will be redefined into /etc/filesystems,
    > since this is the way importvg works.
    >
    > If you have used NIM to restore your mksysb, check whether you or your NIM
    > admin had created a NIM bosinst.data resource and check the
    > IMPORT_USER_VGS setting there, since allocation of a NIM bosinst.data
    > resource for a restore overrides what is defined in the images
    > bosinst.data.
    >
    > The other event may be, that you have imported external vg manually by
    > executing "importvg" on the command line.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    Thanks Uwe - that explains everything!

    cheers

  6. Re: mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    "Uwe Auer" wrote in message
    > rancid moth schrieb:
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> Not being an expert in AIX I have come across an overwrite when
    >> performing a mksysb restore. We created _additional_ filesystems in a
    >> non-rootvg on the box after we created the mksysb. When we restored the
    >> machine using the mksysb, the /etc/filesystems file then had the post
    >> mksysb filesystems listed in it (even though the mksysb should have
    >> overwritten the file). My guess is that AIX finds the filesystems when
    >> doing the varyon on the non-rootvg and creates the filesystem entries.
    >> We checked the /etc/filesystems on the mksysb tape and it did _not_ have
    >> the additional non-rootvg filesystems in it. Can someone clarify the
    >> actual events that would have occurred here?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > please check the file bosinst.data on your system you have recovered. The
    > stanza IMPORT_USER_VGS determines what happens, when you do a restore. If
    > it is set to "yes" then restore procedure executes an "importvg" and all
    > of your "external" filesystems will be redefined into /etc/filesystems,
    > since this is the way importvg works.
    >
    > If you have used NIM to restore your mksysb, check whether you or your NIM
    > admin had created a NIM bosinst.data resource and check the
    > IMPORT_USER_VGS setting there, since allocation of a NIM bosinst.data
    > resource for a restore overrides what is defined in the images
    > bosinst.data.
    >
    > The other event may be, that you have imported external vg manually by
    > executing "importvg" on the command line.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    I forgot that i had one more question, and it regards the order / process of
    how all this works...my guess is the following...

    With this import_user_vgs set, the restore procedure would first restore the
    rootvg, and the system would then attempt to varyon all the VG's defined
    (within the mksysb backup) this would include any external VG's. When the
    external VG's are variedon it finds the filesystems defined within the vg
    headers and because the inport switch is set, imports them into the
    /etc/filesystems file.

    would that be somewhat correct?

  7. Re: mksysb restore AIX 5.3

    rancid moth schrieb:

    > With this import_user_vgs set, the restore procedure would first restore the
    > rootvg, and the system would then attempt to varyon all the VG's defined
    > (within the mksysb backup) this would include any external VG's. When the
    > external VG's are variedon it finds the filesystems defined within the vg
    > headers and because the inport switch is set, imports them into the
    > /etc/filesystems file.
    >
    > would that be somewhat correct?

    see the imfs command.
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245433.pdf