Etherchannel failover - Aix

This is a discussion on Etherchannel failover - Aix ; Hi all As introduction: AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and another 3 to different one. I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should be treated as ...

  1. Etherchannel failover

    Hi all

    As introduction:

    AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and
    another 3 to different one.

    I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should be
    treated as primary way and 2nd one as failover. How to obtain such
    configuration. I know that etherchannel can have backup link that is
    connected to different switch but in that case throughput is crucial
    (TSM server) and one link is not enough.

    Thanks for replies in advance

    --
    Regards
    Filip Kata

  2. Re: Etherchannel failover

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:44:26 +0100, Filip Kata wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > As introduction:
    >
    > AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and
    > another 3 to different one.
    >

    > I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should be
    > treated as primary way and 2nd one as failover. How to obtain such
    > configuration. I know that etherchannel can have backup link that is
    > connected to different switch but in that case throughput is crucial
    > (TSM server) and one link is not enough.
    >
    > Thanks for replies in advance

    Can you give a little more info on the platform you are using?
    Specifically what hardware and if you are using VIO or not.

  3. Re: Etherchannel failover

    Filip Kata wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > As introduction:
    >
    > AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and
    > another 3 to different one.
    >

    > I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should be
    > treated as primary way and 2nd one as failover. How to obtain such
    > configuration. I know that etherchannel can have backup link that is
    > connected to different switch but in that case throughput is crucial
    > (TSM server) and one link is not enough.
    >
    > Thanks for replies in advance

    might be a job for "dead gateway detection". see aix manuals.

    regards
    Joachim

  4. Re: Etherchannel failover

    Joachim Gann pisze:
    > Filip Kata wrote:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> As introduction:
    >>
    >> AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and
    >> another 3 to different one.
    >>

    >> I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should
    >> be treated as primary way and 2nd one as failover. How to obtain such
    >> configuration. I know that etherchannel can have backup link that is
    >> connected to different switch but in that case throughput is crucial
    >> (TSM server) and one link is not enough.
    >>
    >> Thanks for replies in advance
    >>

    > might be a job for "dead gateway detection". see aix manuals.

    I thought about it. I know dgd but I'm not sure if it will work
    correctly with two etherchannels as interfaces. I'm familiar with
    mechanisms but I have asked whether it's possible to implement before
    testing it.

    --
    Regards
    Filip Kata

  5. Re: Etherchannel failover

    W.B. pisze:
    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:44:26 +0100, Filip Kata wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> As introduction:
    >>
    >> AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and
    >> another 3 to different one.
    >>

    >> I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should be
    >> treated as primary way and 2nd one as failover. How to obtain such
    >> configuration. I know that etherchannel can have backup link that is
    >> connected to different switch but in that case throughput is crucial
    >> (TSM server) and one link is not enough.
    >>
    >> Thanks for replies in advance

    > Can you give a little more info on the platform you are using?
    > Specifically what hardware and if you are using VIO or not.

    In that case there wan't be any VIOSes. Everything will be directly
    attached (Tape Library, Virtual Tape Library, Storage Array and LAN-free
    clients via SAN), LAN backup clients and management access through
    ethernet. Ethernet has 2 paths through 2 switches. First path should be
    used at normal work and if switch goes down second etherchannel should
    be used as failover.

    --
    Regards
    Filip Kata

  6. Re: Etherchannel failover

    Filip Kata wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > As introduction:
    >
    > AIX 5.3 TL 6 with 6 interfaces: 3 of them connected to one switch and
    > another 3 to different one.
    >

    > I would like to setup 2 etherchannels, one per switch. 1st EC should be
    > treated as primary way and 2nd one as failover. How to obtain such
    > configuration. I know that etherchannel can have backup link that is
    > connected to different switch but in that case throughput is crucial
    > (TSM server) and one link is not enough.
    >
    > Thanks for replies in advance

    I am thinking you can set up 802.3ad etherchannels to each switch, then
    make a standard etherchannel out of those 2, and that would be the one
    you would configure TCP/IP on. You would have the pipe of 3 interfaces
    doing your TSM work, and have the redundancy with the other three. I
    have never tried this, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

    We opted to go the non-redundant route and just channeled 4 together on
    the same switch on our NetBackup server. Awesome performance.

  7. Re: Etherchannel failover

    0xdeadabe pisze:

    > I am thinking you can set up 802.3ad etherchannels to each switch, then
    > make a standard etherchannel out of those 2, and that would be the one
    > you would configure TCP/IP on. You would have the pipe of 3 interfaces
    > doing your TSM work, and have the redundancy with the other three. I
    > have never tried this, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
    >
    > We opted to go the non-redundant route and just channeled 4 together on
    > the same switch on our NetBackup server. Awesome performance.

    For us TSM downtime equals disaster (SLA with clients). We have another
    TSM in second location so it's not so important but I wan't to have it
    planned and implemented as redundant as possible

    --
    Regards
    Filip Kata

+ Reply to Thread