Creation date - Aix

This is a discussion on Creation date - Aix ; Hi, Is it possible to get the creation date of a file ? Thanks in advance...

  1. Creation date

    Hi,

    Is it possible to get the creation date
    of a file ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Creation date

    astalavista schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to get the creation date
    > of a file ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Hi,
    if you are talking about JFS/JFS2 filesystem files, then the answer in
    my opinion is no, since JFS/JFS2 records only:

    atime: access time
    ctime: i-node change time (status information)
    mtime: modification time

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  3. Re: Creation date

    astalavista wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to get the creation date
    > of a file ?

    Not really.... but:

    You could try checking the ctime (last update) of the inode for the file
    e.g. using 'istat'.

    It actually means 'change time', not 'creation time' and would have
    changed if any of mode/owner/group/link count/length changed.

    If you are sure none of these have changed, you are left with the
    creation time...

    Niel

  4. Re: Creation date

    OK thanks to Niel and Uwe

    "Niel Lambrechts" a écrit dans le message de news:
    flb4c6$dvs$1@aioe.org...
    > astalavista wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to get the creation date
    >> of a file ?

    > Not really.... but:
    >
    > You could try checking the ctime (last update) of the inode for the file
    > e.g. using 'istat'.
    >
    > It actually means 'change time', not 'creation time' and would have
    > changed if any of mode/owner/group/link count/length changed.
    >
    > If you are sure none of these have changed, you are left with the
    > creation time...
    >
    > Niel

+ Reply to Thread