Moving an Oracle Database from Solaris to AIX - Aix

This is a discussion on Moving an Oracle Database from Solaris to AIX - Aix ; Hi all, I have been asked to move an SAP system using an Oracle database from Solaris to AIX (on an IBM P590). Most of the move is straightforward, except the Oracle database transfer. It would make my life so ...

  1. Moving an Oracle Database from Solaris to AIX

    Hi all,

    I have been asked to move an SAP system using an Oracle database from
    Solaris to AIX (on an IBM P590).

    Most of the move is straightforward, except the Oracle database
    transfer. It would make my life so much easier if I could simply
    restore the Oracle datafiles from an off-line backup of the Solaris
    system and then link it to a clean install of the Oracle binaries on
    the AIX system, rather than have to do an export and import.

    Is this possible, after all the AIX Oracle binaries would be the same
    patch level as the Solaris binaries and the file systems would be the
    same. Also as it would be an offline backup we would not have to do
    any recovery, so the archive logs and the original redo logs would not
    be required.

    Does anyone know if this is possible or has actually executed it
    successfully, any hints and tips on the gotchas would be greatly
    appreciated.

    TIA

    Chris aka BoobBoo

  2. Re: Moving an Oracle Database from Solaris to AIX

    On Dec 29, 5:36*pm, chris.kernag...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been asked to move an SAP system using an Oracle database from
    > Solaris to AIX (on an IBM P590).
    >
    > Most of the move is straightforward, except the Oracle database
    > transfer. It would make my life so much easier if I could simply
    > restore the Oracle datafiles from an off-line backup of the Solaris
    > system and then link it to a clean install of the Oracle binaries on
    > the AIX system, rather than have to do an export and import.
    >
    > Is this possible, after all the AIX Oracle binaries would be the same
    > patch level as the Solaris binaries and the file systems would be the
    > same. Also as it would be an offline backup we would not have to do
    > any recovery, so the archive logs and the original redo logs would not
    > be required.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is possible or has actually executed it
    > successfully, any hints and tips on the gotchas would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Chris aka BoobBoo

    If your source is 10.x then you have the option of looking at expdp
    ( data pump ) which can work very quickly especially in parallel.

    There are also possibly the options of using transportable
    tablespaces.

    Have you looked at the oracle doc for migration?

  3. Re: Moving an Oracle Database from Solaris to AIX

    Also sorry I forgot, no I have not looked at the Oracle Migration
    Document.

    Is it on Metalink and if so what is the document name?

    Chris

  4. Re: Moving an Oracle Database from Solaris to AIX

    chris.kernaghan@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been asked to move an SAP system using an Oracle database from
    > Solaris to AIX (on an IBM P590).
    >
    > Most of the move is straightforward, except the Oracle database
    > transfer. It would make my life so much easier if I could simply
    > restore the Oracle datafiles from an off-line backup of the Solaris
    > system and then link it to a clean install of the Oracle binaries on
    > the AIX system, rather than have to do an export and import.
    >
    > Is this possible, after all the AIX Oracle binaries would be the same
    > patch level as the Solaris binaries and the file systems would be the
    > same. Also as it would be an offline backup we would not have to do
    > any recovery, so the archive logs and the original redo logs would not
    > be required.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is possible or has actually executed it
    > successfully, any hints and tips on the gotchas would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Chris aka BoobBoo

    I have exported & imported Oracle databases from one OS to another OS,
    but in every case both OS platforms were the same (Windows, for better
    or worse, although they were different production versions)(I'm
    developing an Oracle 10 on Solaris 10 in test environment presently).
    I've not done what it sounds like you are attempting to do, but AFIK in
    order to successfully migrate an Oracle database (my experience is <=
    9i) from any place to any other place, a complete export -> import would
    need to be done in order to preserve e.g. table indexes, constraints
    etc. along with any objects such as triggers, packages, procedures,
    sequences (and views) etc. Recall that "create table A as select all
    from table B" is not the same as exporting table A along with its
    constraints, keys, indexes, and so on, not to mention other complex
    database dependencies.

    That said, you may then run into gotchas spawned by moving your Oracle
    DB from one platform to another -- again, something I have not done.

    http://asktom.oracle.com is a valuable resource, as someone else pointed
    out in this thread.

+ Reply to Thread