AIX 3.2, removee volume group (SMIT) in error - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 3.2, removee volume group (SMIT) in error - Aix ; I was working last week on restoring an AIX 3.2 system. I was attempting to do this during a busy day. The drive in question is an IBM 1 gigabyte hard drive. I successfully imported the volume group, using the ...

  1. AIX 3.2, removee volume group (SMIT) in error

    I was working last week on restoring an AIX 3.2 system. I was attempting
    to do this during a busy day. The drive in question is an IBM 1 gigabyte
    hard drive. I successfully imported the volume group, using the SMIT
    interface of the importvg command, using the name hdisk1, which is the
    physical volume name that AIX assigned to the disk. I must have been
    confused by the varyonvg command. My intent was to export the volume group
    and then reimport it so that the varyonvg command would work properly.
    Instead I selected the Remove a Volume Group command in SMIT, and the
    volume group name was gone in an instant.

    This drive has thousands of files on it, and it is important that I
    recover them. I think that what I need to do is rewrite the logical volume
    name to the drive, so that it can again be imported.

    There are three seperate journaled file systems (jfs) on this physical
    hard drive, and I do know their LV NAME's, the number of LPs, the number
    of PP's and PV's, as well as their mount points and the names of the mount
    points.

    I'm in real trouble here, I have a few options. I have a second 1 gig
    hard drive that is also the rootvg on this machine. I could make a MKSYSB
    tape, and restore that tape to a different smaller working ibm hard drive
    (if I have one). And if this volume group is bootable in this machine, I
    could then use dd to physically copy the entire hard drive in question,
    and then use vi to attempt to rewrite the header of the drive so that it
    could be reimported thereby recovering my thousands of files without
    jeopardizing the contents of the original drive, that I have mishandled. I
    have relied primarily on SMIT, but am willing to learn the command line
    options of lsvg, lsdev, etc.

    Amy help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

    --
    sandy

  2. Re: AIX 3.2, removee volume group (SMIT) in error

    On Dec 24, 12:15*pm, Sandy wrote:
    > I was working last week on restoring an AIX 3.2 system. I was attempting *
    > to do this during a busy day. The drive in question is an IBM 1 gigabyte *
    > hard drive. I successfully imported the volume group, using the SMIT *
    > interface of the importvg command, using the name hdisk1, which is the *
    > physical volume name that AIX assigned to the disk. I must have been *
    > confused by the varyonvg command. My intent was to export the volume group*
    > and then reimport it so that the varyonvg command would work properly. *
    > Instead I selected the Remove a Volume Group command in SMIT, and the *
    > volume group name was gone in an instant.
    >
    > This drive has thousands of files on it, and it is important that I *
    > recover them. I think that what I need to do is rewrite the logical volume*
    > name to the drive, so that it can again be imported.
    >
    > There are three seperate journaled file systems (jfs) on this physical *
    > hard drive, and I do know their LV NAME's, the number of LPs, the number *
    > of PP's and PV's, as well as their mount points and the names of the mount*
    > points.
    >
    > I'm in real trouble here, I have a few options. *I have a second 1 gig *
    > hard drive that is also the rootvg on this machine. *I could make a MKSYSB *
    > tape, and restore that tape to a different smaller working ibm hard drive *
    > (if I have one). And if this volume group is bootable in this machine, I *
    > could then use dd to physically copy the entire hard drive in question, *
    > and then use vi to attempt to rewrite the header of the drive so that it *
    > could be reimported thereby recovering my thousands of files without *
    > jeopardizing the contents of the original drive, that I have mishandled. I*
    > have relied primarily on SMIT, but am willing to learn the command line *
    > options of lsvg, lsdev, etc.
    >
    > Amy help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > --
    > sandy

    I believe all you have to do is re-import the volume group, then vary
    it on, then mount the filesystems.

    Try typing:
    # importvg -y newvg_name hdisk1 (where 'newvg_name' is the name
    you want to call the new volume group.)
    # varyonvg newvg_name
    # mount all

    HTH!

  3. Re: AIX 3.2, removee volume group (SMIT) in error

    On 26 Dec, 20:20, homey...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Dec 24, 12:15*pm, Sandy wrote:
    >

    > > I was working last week on restoring an AIX 3.2 system. I was attempting*
    > > to do this during a busy day. The drive in question is an IBM 1 gigabyte*
    > > hard drive. I successfully imported the volume group, using the SMIT *
    > > interface of the importvg command, using the name hdisk1, which is the *
    > > physical volume name that AIX assigned to the disk. I must have been *
    > > confused by the varyonvg command. My intent was to export the volume group *
    > > and then reimport it so that the varyonvg command would work properly. *
    > > Instead I selected the Remove a Volume Group command in SMIT, and the *
    > > volume group name was gone in an instant.

    > > This drive has thousands of files on it, and it is important that I *
    > > recover them. I think that what I need to do is rewrite the logical volume *
    > > name to the drive, so that it can again be imported.

    > > There are three seperate journaled file systems (jfs) on this physical *
    > > hard drive, and I do know their LV NAME's, the number of LPs, the number*
    > > of PP's and PV's, as well as their mount points and the names of the mount *
    > > points.

    > > I'm in real trouble here, I have a few options. *I have a second 1 gig*
    > > hard drive that is also the rootvg on this machine. *I could make a MKSYSB *
    > > tape, and restore that tape to a different smaller working ibm hard drive *
    > > (if I have one). And if this volume group is bootable in this machine, I*
    > > could then use dd to physically copy the entire hard drive in question, *
    > > and then use vi to attempt to rewrite the header of the drive so that it*
    > > could be reimported thereby recovering my thousands of files without *
    > > jeopardizing the contents of the original drive, that I have mishandled.I *
    > > have relied primarily on SMIT, but am willing to learn the command line *
    > > options of lsvg, lsdev, etc.

    > > Amy help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

    > > --
    > > sandy

    > I believe all you have to do is re-import the volume group, then vary
    > it on, then mount the filesystems.
    >
    > Try typing:
    > # importvg -y newvg_name hdisk1 * * (where 'newvg_name' is the name
    > you want to call the new volume group.)
    > # varyonvg newvg_name
    > # mount all
    >
    > HTH!- Hide quoted text -

    It cant be reimported as its been removed, not exported. The reducevg
    command which the 'remove' has performed has deleted the LV's from the
    disk.

    As far as I know the VGDA on the disk has probably been destroyed. I
    think without this you are pretty stuck really. as you know the
    filesystem names and sizes I think you'll need to manually recreate
    them and then restore the files from whatever backups you have.

    Scott

  4. Re: AIX 3.2, removee volume group (SMIT) in error

    On 27 Dec, 15:24, scott wrote:
    > On 26 Dec, 20:20, homey...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Dec 24, 12:15*pm, Sandy wrote:

    > > > I was working last week on restoring an AIX 3.2 system. I was attempting *
    > > > to do this during a busy day. The drive in question is an IBM 1 gigabyte *
    > > > hard drive. I successfully imported the volume group, using the SMIT *
    > > > interface of the importvg command, using the name hdisk1, which is the*
    > > > physical volume name that AIX assigned to the disk. I must have been *
    > > > confused by the varyonvg command. My intent was to export the volume group *
    > > > and then reimport it so that the varyonvg command would work properly.*
    > > > Instead I selected the Remove a Volume Group command in SMIT, and the *
    > > > volume group name was gone in an instant.

    > > > This drive has thousands of files on it, and it is important that I *
    > > > recover them. I think that what I need to do is rewrite the logical volume *
    > > > name to the drive, so that it can again be imported.

    > > > There are three seperate journaled file systems (jfs) on this physical*
    > > > hard drive, and I do know their LV NAME's, the number of LPs, the number *
    > > > of PP's and PV's, as well as their mount points and the names of the mount *
    > > > points.

    > > > I'm in real trouble here, I have a few options. *I have a second 1 gig *
    > > > hard drive that is also the rootvg on this machine. *I could make a MKSYSB *
    > > > tape, and restore that tape to a different smaller working ibm hard drive *
    > > > (if I have one). And if this volume group is bootable in this machine,I *
    > > > could then use dd to physically copy the entire hard drive in question, *
    > > > and then use vi to attempt to rewrite the header of the drive so that it *
    > > > could be reimported thereby recovering my thousands of files without *
    > > > jeopardizing the contents of the original drive, that I have mishandled. I *
    > > > have relied primarily on SMIT, but am willing to learn the command line *
    > > > options of lsvg, lsdev, etc.

    > > > Amy help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

    > > > --
    > > > sandy

    > > I believe all you have to do is re-import the volume group, then vary
    > > it on, then mount the filesystems.

    > > Try typing:
    > > # importvg -y newvg_name hdisk1 * * (where 'newvg_name' is the name
    > > you want to call the new volume group.)
    > > # varyonvg newvg_name
    > > # mount all

    > > HTH!- Hide quoted text -

    > It cant be reimported as its been removed, not exported. *The reducevg
    > command which the 'remove' has performed has deleted the LV's from the
    > disk.
    >
    > As far as I know the VGDA on the disk has probably been destroyed. I
    > think without this you are pretty stuck really. *as you know the
    > filesystem names and sizes I think you'll need to manually recreate
    > them and then restore the files from whatever backups you have.
    >
    > Scott- Hide quoted text -

    I wonder if you can use something like synclvodm to help out. It
    rebuilds a VGDA from the ODM I think. However you'd need to have the
    correct VG,LV etc info in the ODM first which you currently dont.

    There are also lquerypv and lqueryvg commands which may help. Even if
    you somehow managed to rebuild part of the VGDA you still dont (AFAIK)
    have any info as to exactly where on the disk the data is, ie which
    PP's are in which LV's which I think is part of the VGDA as well. So
    you cant recreate that.

    Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread