removing content of /usr/sys/inst.images vs. extending rootvg - Aix

This is a discussion on removing content of /usr/sys/inst.images vs. extending rootvg - Aix ; Hi, Running AIX 5.3, I've installed up to 5300-06. Since it's a rather small harddisk (4.5 GB) I can't install anymore software unless I either remove the contents of /usr/sys/inst.images or extend the (mirrored) rootvg with another physical volume and ...

  1. removing content of /usr/sys/inst.images vs. extending rootvg

    Hi,

    Running AIX 5.3, I've installed up to 5300-06. Since it's a rather small
    harddisk (4.5 GB) I can't install anymore software unless I either
    remove the contents of /usr/sys/inst.images or extend the (mirrored)
    rootvg with another physical volume and move /opt to that. What is the
    wisest to do and why?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: removing content of /usr/sys/inst.images vs. extending rootvg

    On Dec 19, 9:04 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running AIX 5.3, I've installed up to 5300-06. Since it's a rather small
    > harddisk (4.5 GB) I can't install anymore software unless I either
    > remove the contents of /usr/sys/inst.images or extend the (mirrored)
    > rootvg with another physical volume and move /opt to that. What is the
    > wisest to do and why?

    /usr/sys/inst.images is the directory location for software kept on
    the system for further installation and updates. Its not a must to use
    it.

    Suggestions:
    1) Create a JFS2 filesystem for /usr/sys/init.images thus your are NOT
    working/depending on /usr

    2)
    In case you have only one small 4 GB disk
    - Use /usr/sys/init.images just to download updates via suma 500 GB
    should be fine.

    In case you have 2 small 4GB disk
    - mirror all lv within rootvg except /usr/sys/inst.images . Use ./
    inst.images for installations ( Installation fileset has be copied to
    it ) and updates. Since a crash of a disk would trash this fs you must
    be able to recreate the contents from CD and network.

    The same apply if you would have a 3rd small 4GB disk. In this case on
    the third disk only /usr/sys/inst.images would exist.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: removing content of /usr/sys/inst.images vs. extending rootvg

    > hth
    > Hajo

    Yes, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread