Question on printing que's and AIX - Aix

This is a discussion on Question on printing que's and AIX - Aix ; Greetings, I am very new to AIX but have alot of Linux and Solaris experience. I think this may simply be a function of printing under Unix, but I'm asking here. I have not dealt with printing very much under ...

  1. Question on printing que's and AIX

    Greetings,

    I am very new to AIX but have alot of Linux and Solaris experience. I
    think this may simply be a function of printing under Unix, but I'm
    asking here. I have not dealt with printing very much under Unix in
    the past. I have a new project where print ques need to be setup on a
    new Redhat environment. The current app is a terminal one and runs on
    aix version 5. I am trying to display the ques and figure out what
    network printers each que goes to. This is where I am having
    issues.

    I run lpstat and see many que names (but the full que name isnt
    displayed for some odd reason). I see the que name and then look at
    the /etc/qconfig file. I see something like:

    sjpmpptr02:
    device = hp@sjpmpptr02
    hp@sjpmpptr02:
    file = /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev/
    hp@sjpmpptr02#hpJetDirect#9100
    header = never
    trailer = never
    access = both
    backend = /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piojetd sjpmpptr02 9100

    Does anyone know how I could decipher this? I am guessing that this
    can be deciphered as sending traffic to sjpmpptr02 on the jetdirect
    port 9100...is this a correct assumption?

  2. Re: Question on printing que's and AIX

    On Dec 17, 11:34 am, solebla...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am very new to AIX but have alot of Linux and Solaris experience. I
    > think this may simply be a function of printing under Unix, but I'm
    > asking here. I have not dealt with printing very much under Unix in
    > the past. I have a new project where print ques need to be setup on a
    > new Redhat environment. The current app is a terminal one and runs on
    > aix version 5. I am trying to display the ques and figure out what
    > network printers each que goes to. This is where I am having
    > issues.
    >
    > I run lpstat and see many que names (but the full que name isnt
    > displayed for some odd reason). I see the que name and then look at
    > the /etc/qconfig file. I see something like:
    >
    > sjpmpptr02:
    > device = hp@sjpmpptr02
    > hp@sjpmpptr02:
    > file = /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev/
    > hp@sjpmpptr02#hpJetDirect#9100
    > header = never
    > trailer = never
    > access = both
    > backend = /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piojetd sjpmpptr02 9100
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could decipher this? I am guessing that this
    > can be deciphered as sending traffic to sjpmpptr02 on the jetdirect
    > port 9100...is this a correct assumption?

    If you want to see the full queue name you need to run "lpstat -W".

    HTH

    Jim Lane

  3. Re: Question on printing que's and AIX

    wrote in message
    > I run lpstat and see many que names (but the full que name isnt
    > displayed for some odd reason). I see the que name and then look at
    > the /etc/qconfig file. I see something like:
    >
    > sjpmpptr02:
    > device = hp@sjpmpptr02
    > hp@sjpmpptr02:
    > file = /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev/
    > hp@sjpmpptr02#hpJetDirect#9100
    > header = never
    > trailer = never
    > access = both
    > backend = /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piojetd sjpmpptr02 9100
    >
    > Does anyone know how I could decipher this? I am guessing that this
    > can be deciphered as sending traffic to sjpmpptr02 on the jetdirect
    > port 9100...is this a correct assumption?

    Yes - this particular queue sends to host sjpmpptr02 to port 9100.

  4. Re: Question on printing que's and AIX

    On Dec 18, 1:39 pm, wrote:
    > wrote in message

    > > I run lpstat and see many que names (but the full que name isnt
    > > displayed for some odd reason). I see the que name and then look at
    > > the /etc/qconfig file. I see something like:

    > > sjpmpptr02:
    > > device = hp@sjpmpptr02
    > > hp@sjpmpptr02:
    > > file = /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev/
    > > hp@sjpmpptr02#hpJetDirect#9100
    > > header = never
    > > trailer = never
    > > access = both
    > > backend = /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piojetd sjpmpptr02 9100

    > > Does anyone know how I could decipher this? I am guessing that this
    > > can be deciphered as sending traffic to sjpmpptr02 on the jetdirect
    > > port 9100...is this a correct assumption?

    > Yes - this particular queue sends to host sjpmpptr02 to port 9100.

    Solebla,

    When you print on AIX you print to a print queue, which then prints
    through to a print device - this is why you see a two-part stanza.
    For most setups it's one print queue to device.

    Here are one or two commands that should be enough to help you get the
    job done:

    enq -AWs This will give you a listing of all the
    print queues and devices on the system

    lsque -q This will show you the valid devices for the
    print queue, as well as other details that may have been customised
    (queuing discipline or whatnot)

    lsquedev -q -d This will show you the details
    for a specific print device (printer)

    The print device uses a backend program/script to get the print to its
    destination. In your example the jetdirect backend is being used to
    send the job on to the host sjpmpptr02 on port 9100.

    With these commands and a bit of script-fu you should be able to get a
    nice neat output which can then be used on your RH system to
    automagically re-create all the queues.

    Regards,

    Alex

    PS - Hi Paul! Your printing software is working nicely for us still.
    Give me a shout if any of the above is bo**cks...

+ Reply to Thread