removing paging space on aix 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on removing paging space on aix 5.3 - Aix ; Hello All, Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also, can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3? Thanks pinoy...

  1. removing paging space on aix 5.3

    Hello All,

    Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also,
    can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3?

    Thanks
    pinoy

  2. Re: removing paging space on aix 5.3

    On 17 Dez., 15:52, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also,
    > can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3?
    >
    > Thanks
    > pinoy

    man swapon
    man swapoff

    Regards
    jg

  3. Re: removing paging space on aix 5.3

    On Dec 17, 10:21 am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    > On 17 Dez., 15:52, pinoy2ser wrote:
    >
    > > Hello All,

    > > Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also,
    > > can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3?

    > > Thanks
    > > pinoy

    > man swapon
    > man swapoff
    >
    > Regards
    > jg

    Thanks for the info however i would like to permanently reduce the
    paging space because the i do not use all of it and would like to
    allocate the space to a different filesystem.

    someone created 88G worth of paging space in our machine with only 20G
    of real memory in the system..

    pinoy

  4. Re: removing paging space on aix 5.3

    On Dec 17, 10:28 am, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 10:21 am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    >
    > > On 17 Dez., 15:52, pinoy2ser wrote:

    > > > Hello All,

    > > > Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also,
    > > > can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3?

    > > > Thanks
    > > > pinoy

    > > man swapon
    > > man swapoff

    > > Regards
    > > jg

    > Thanks for the info however i would like to permanently reduce the
    > paging space because the i do not use all of it and would like to
    > allocate the space to a different filesystem.
    >
    > someone created 88G worth of paging space in our machine with only 20G
    > of real memory in the system..
    >
    > pinoy

    man chps.
    it temporarily creates a new paging space. you'll need enough free
    space to add the new one during the process.

  5. Re: removing paging space on aix 5.3

    On 17 Dec, 15:28, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 10:21 am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    >
    > > On 17 Dez., 15:52, pinoy2ser wrote:

    > > > Hello All,

    > > > Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also,
    > > > can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3?

    > > > Thanks
    > > > pinoy

    > > man swapon
    > > man swapoff

    > > Regards
    > > jg

    > Thanks for the info however i would like to permanently reduce the
    > paging space because the i do not use all of it and would like to
    > allocate the space to a different filesystem.
    >
    > someone created 88G worth of paging space in our machine with only 20G
    > of real memory in the system..
    >
    > pinoy

    Pinoy,

    See here for all your AIX 5.3 needs

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...base/aix53.htm

    A search of 'paging space' will get you started.

    As a friendly tip I'd suggest always reading documentation or other
    especially on simple topics such as this. This way you will learn a
    lot more and pick up things you would otherwise miss.

    eg, 'man swapoff' shows one of the related commands to be 'rmps'.

    Regards,
    Scott

    Scott

  6. Re: removing paging space on aix 5.3

    On Dec 17, 11:02 am, scott wrote:
    > On 17 Dec, 15:28, pinoy2ser wrote:

    > > > man swapon
    > > > man swapoff

    > > > Regards
    > > > jg

    > > Thanks for the info however i would like to permanently reduce the
    > > paging space because the i do not use all of it and would like to
    > > allocate the space to a different filesystem.

    > > someone created 88G worth of paging space in our machine with only 20G
    > > of real memory in the system..

    > > pinoy

    > Pinoy,
    >
    > See here for all your AIX 5.3 needs
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ndex.jsp?topic...
    >
    > A search of 'paging space' will get you started.
    >
    > As a friendly tip I'd suggest always reading documentation or other
    > especially on simple topics such as this. This way you will learn a
    > lot more and pick up things you would otherwise miss.
    >
    > eg, 'man swapoff' shows one of the related commands to be 'rmps'.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott
    >
    > Scott- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the info and link..

    pinoy

  7. Re: removing paging space on aix 5.3

    On 17 Dez., 15:52, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Can I remove paging space without rebooting the system? Also,
    > can I reduce the paging space on the fly in aix 5.3?

    man chps

+ Reply to Thread