DS4300 Integration with p570 - Aix

This is a discussion on DS4300 Integration with p570 - Aix ; We recently purchased a DS4300 to replace aging SSA arrays. The DS4300 consists of the base cabinet loaded with 14 146g FC drives and an EXP100 loaded with 300g SATA drives. The SAN is attached to a couple Linux boxes ...

  1. DS4300 Integration with p570

    We recently purchased a DS4300 to replace aging SSA arrays. The DS4300
    consists of the base cabinet loaded with 14 146g FC drives and an
    EXP100 loaded with 300g SATA drives. The SAN is attached to a couple
    Linux boxes and now the p570 (2 hba's). The SATA drives are for the
    Linux boxes and the FC drives are for the p570.

    My question is, what is the best way to configure the FC drives? My
    initial thought was to build a logical drive using 10 FC drives as a
    RAID 0+1 and give a certain amount (200g) to a LUN. Then AIX would see
    the "drive" as one hdisk. But, is this the right way? I'm going to
    have a progress database on this and performance is always a concern.
    Will AIX be able to use the centers of the spindles when i create a
    filesystem on the disk?

    So, if that's not a good way of going about it, would i instead create
    10 logical drives, 1 disk per logical drive, assign them each to a LUN
    so AIX then sees 10 hdisks, and let AIX control the RAID 0+1?

    Or am i completely off base and need to take up basket weaving?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: DS4300 Integration with p570

    On Dec 15, 10:13 am, chrisw...@gmail.com wrote:
    > We recently purchased a DS4300 to replace aging SSA arrays. The DS4300
    > consists of the base cabinet loaded with 14 146g FC drives and an
    > EXP100 loaded with 300g SATA drives. The SAN is attached to a couple
    > Linux boxes and now the p570 (2 hba's). The SATA drives are for the
    > Linux boxes and the FC drives are for the p570.
    >
    > My question is, what is the best way to configure the FC drives? My
    > initial thought was to build a logical drive using 10 FC drives as a
    > RAID 0+1 and give a certain amount (200g) to a LUN. Then AIX would see
    > the "drive" as one hdisk. But, is this the right way? I'm going to
    > have a progress database on this and performance is always a concern.
    > Will AIX be able to use the centers of the spindles when i create a
    > filesystem on the disk?
    >
    > So, if that's not a good way of going about it, would i instead create
    > 10 logical drives, 1 disk per logical drive, assign them each to a LUN
    > so AIX then sees 10 hdisks, and let AIX control the RAID 0+1?
    >
    > Or am i completely off base and need to take up basket weaving?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    If I remember correctly you have to assign each disk array to one of
    the two RAID controllers on the DS4300. So in order to use both RAID
    controllers without taking a performance hit you should create at
    least two disk arrays. If you left two drives as hot spares instead
    of the 4 your implying above, then I would do choose one of two
    options below based on whether you writes to the LUNs will be closer
    to random or sequential.

    Sequential
    Max LUN size 680G
    Total LUN size 1360G
    6 disks in RAID 5 configuration associated to controller A
    6 disks in RAID 5 configuration associated to controller B
    2 hot spare disks

    Random
    Max LUN size 407G
    Total LUN size 815G
    Max LUN size for each array is
    6 disks in RAID 10 configuration associated to controller A
    6 disks in RAID 10 configuration associated to controller B
    2 hot spare disks

    As long as the queue_depth attribute for each of the LUNs presented to
    the AIX system as hdisks is tuned properly, and you are not mirroring
    at the AIX LV (logical volume) layer you performance will be good
    despite what LUN size you choose. I would recommend creating one LUN
    from each disk array and assign both to the same VG on your AIX host.
    If you want to do disk striping at the AIX LV layer, then I would
    suggest spreading the PPs (physical partitions) of each LV across both
    hdisks using the command mklv -e x.

+ Reply to Thread