IO per process usage - Aix

This is a discussion on IO per process usage - Aix ; Anyone can help me how can I view IO per process usage in AIX 5.3 ? thanks...

  1. IO per process usage

    Anyone can help me how can I view IO per process usage in AIX 5.3 ?

    thanks

  2. Re: IO per process usage

    "povoação" writes:

    > Anyone can help me how can I view IO per process usage in AIX 5.3 ?
    >
    > thanks

    Two basic approaches.

    Use the getprocs64() API and fish the stats you want out of the
    procentry64 structure.

    Use the SPMI API . There are sample programs ... can't remember
    exactly where they're installed. Do a find for "chmon.c" and
    "RsiHotlog.c".

    You understand that the concept of "I/O per process" is sort of, uh,
    ill-defined in a 2nd level store Operating System, like AIX is,
    right ?

    It's 1 AM, so I'm not going to go into detail ... but consider a
    group of 2 or more cooperating processes using mmap to demand page
    disk pages into a segment of shared memory.

    3 of these processes have an outstanding request for (some of) the
    same disk pages, so the VMM dispatches physical I/O to satisfy the
    page faults.

    How do you decide which process(es) get charged with the I/O ?

    I think the phrase "that answer's not even wrong" was created for
    questions like this :-)

    --
    #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */

+ Reply to Thread