Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails. - Aix

This is a discussion on Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails. - Aix ; Have a 7044-170 #oslevel -s showing 5300-06-04-0748 That gives the following error (smit.log ) [Dec 13 2007, 13:04:18] Command to Execute follows below: /usr/sbin/mkcd -L -M '/usr/mkcd/mksysb image' -C '/usr/mkcd/cd fs' -I ,/ usr/mkcd/cd_images' -V 'rootvg' '-R' '-S' - ...

  1. Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    Have a 7044-170
    #oslevel -s showing 5300-06-04-0748
    That gives the following error (smit.log )

    [Dec 13 2007, 13:04:18]
    Command to Execute follows below:
    /usr/sbin/mkcd -L -M '/usr/mkcd/mksysb image' -C '/usr/mkcd/cd fs' -I ,/
    usr/mkcd/cd_images' -V 'rootvg' '-R' '-S' - -
    Output from Command_to_Execute follows below:
    start Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
    Verifying command parameters...
    Creating image.data file...
    Creating mksysb image...
    Creating list of files to back up Backing up 45289 files 21978 of 45289
    files (48%) 41991 of 45289 files (92%) 0512-005 mksysb: Backup Completed.
    The backup command completed with errors.
    The messages displayed on Standard Error contained additional
    information.
    backup: 0511-432 A write error occurred: A file cannot be larger than the
    value set by ulimit.
    backup: 0511-079 The backup media may be damaged.
    Use a different disk to run the backup.
    Is: 0653-341 The file /usr/mkcd/mksysb image/mksysb 5946 does not exist.
    Populating the CD or DVD file system..~ -
    Copying backup to the CD or DVD file system...
    copy_backup[41]: total_size = fs_size + BACKUP_SIZE + boot_image_size + EFI-
    PARTITION_SIZE + PADDING_128K : 0403-009 The specified number is not valid
    for this command.
    end [Dec 13 2007, 13:19:59]
    1800-035 Exit status (1) returned by command.
    (Command process used stdout and stderr file
    descriptors connected to SMIT via pipes.)
    [Dec 13 2007, 13:24:37]
    Stopping Motif SMIT

    I use smit/Software Inst Mtce/Sys Bup/Bup Sys/Bup to DVD/say NO to use
    current mksysb/select ISO9660/leave device field blank/say NO to remove
    images/say NO to create DVD now/fill in the three fields in smit in this
    order
    /usr/mkcd/mksysb_image
    /usr/mkcd/cd_fs
    /usr/mkcd/cd_images
    which had all previously been created by myself.

    Have plenty of room in /usr
    # df
    Filesystem 512-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    /dev/hd4 458752 126768 73% 2328 3% /
    /dev/hd2 39124992 29748088 24% 39843 1% /usr
    /dev/hd9var 131072 104240 21% 412 3% /var
    /dev/hd3 98304 91488 7% 72 1% /tmp
    /dev/hdl 32768 31640 4% 18 1% /home
    /proc - - - - - /proc
    /dev/hdl0opt 262144 40064 85% 2002 7% /opt

    The backup seems to go okay as /usr/mkcd/cd_fs contains the folder 5946

    The first error 0511-432 about ulimit is a mystery
    At the command line #ulimit displays unlimited.

    The second error 0511-079 re damaged backup media.
    Have ran certify on all three PV's without error.

    The third error 0653-341 is odd as 5946 has been created in cd_fs.

    Would appreciate some assistance to get it working.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    On Dec 13, 4:16 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Have a 7044-170
    > #oslevel -s showing 5300-06-04-0748
    > That gives the following error (smit.log )
    >
    > [Dec 13 2007, 13:04:18]
    > Command to Execute follows below:
    > >> /usr/sbin/mkcd -L -M '/usr/mkcd/mksysb image' -C '/usr/mkcd/cd fs' -I ,/

    > usr/mkcd/cd_images' -V 'rootvg' '-R' '-S' - -

    1) You use white spaces /usr/mkcd/mksysb>>> << 2) Is the /usr/mkcd a filesystem or part if /usr/ . Eitherway what
    type of jfs is used because you might hit the old jfs 2Gb limitation.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    "Hajo Ehlers" wrote in message
    > On Dec 13, 4:16 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    >> Have a 7044-170
    >> #oslevel -s showing 5300-06-04-0748
    >> That gives the following error (smit.log )
    >>
    >> [Dec 13 2007, 13:04:18]
    >> Command to Execute follows below:

    >> usr/mkcd/cd_images' -V 'rootvg' '-R' '-S' - -

    > 1) You use white spaces /usr/mkcd/mksysb>>> << > 2) Is the /usr/mkcd a filesystem or part if /usr/ . Eitherway what
    > type of jfs is used because you might hit the old jfs 2Gb limitation.
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Hajo
    Many thanks for your reply
    (1) When you refer to white spaces do you mean to fill in the three smit
    squares in Backup This System to DVD as follows:
    File System to Store mksysb Image /usr/mkcd/mksysb
    image
    File System to Store DVD File Structure /usr/mkcd/cd fs
    File System to Store Final DVD Images /usr/mkcd/cd images
    (2) In /usr I created a directory " mkcd " and within " mkcd " three more
    directories " mksysb_image " " cd_fs " " cd_images " to receive the files
    that making the DVD image seems to need. Cannot let smit or wsm do it
    automatically, as they want to do it in / where there is not enough room.
    (3)You said " type of jfs is used because you might hit the old jfs 2Gb
    limitation. "
    The file system is jfs. Went into smit chjs and for /usr tried to change
    Large File Enabled from false to true but could not.
    (4)Found this on IBM site
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ai...utta_cmds.html
    and on my 7044-170(44P)
    #bootinfo -K 32
    #bootinfo -y 64
    #lscfg | grep proc +proc0 P1-C1 Processor
    #ls -l /unix /unix -> /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp
    #prtconf shows 7044-170, PowerPC_POWER3. Processor 1, Clock Speed 333
    Mhz, CPU Type 64-bit, Kernel Type 32-bit, LPAR Info -1 NULL, Memory 1024MB,
    Model Implementation: Uni-Processor, PCI bus.
    Have latest firmware. It is a CHRP machine.
    (5)To get the _LARGE_FILE to work, does the mean using instructions from the
    above link, I convert over to 64-bit but can leave system as jfs.
    Appreciate you help.
    Basil

  4. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    On 14 Dez., 01:15, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > "Hajo Ehlers" wrote in message

    > > On Dec 13, 4:16 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > >> Have a 7044-170
    > >> #oslevel -s showing 5300-06-04-0748
    > >> That gives the following error (smit.log )

    > >> [Dec 13 2007, 13:04:18]
    > >> Command to Execute follows below:
    > >> usr/mkcd/cd_images' -V 'rootvg' '-R' '-S' - -

    > > 1) You use white spaces /usr/mkcd/mksysb>>> << > > 2) Is the /usr/mkcd a filesystem or part if /usr/ . Eitherway what
    > > type of jfs is used because you might hit the old jfs 2Gb limitation.

    > > hth
    > > Hajo

    > (1) When you refer to white spaces do you mean to fill in the three smit
    > squares in Backup This System to DVD as follows:
    > File System to Store mksysb Image /usr/mkcd/mksysb
    > image

    I have overseen that 'image' is an option . So just forget about it.

    The best thing would be to create a new large file enabled filesystem
    with a size of at least 5GB and mount it at
    /usr/mkcd

    or try to keep your mksysb smaller then 2GB by using /etc/
    exclude.rootvg
    See
    $ man mksysb
    for details

    hth
    Hajo

  5. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    >> (1) When you refer to white spaces do you mean to fill in the three smit
    >> squares in Backup This System to DVD as follows:
    >> File System to Store mksysb Image /usr/mkcd/mksysb
    >> image

    > I have overseen that 'image' is an option . So just forget about it.
    >
    > The best thing would be to create a new large file enabled filesystem
    > with a size of at least 5GB and mount it at
    > /usr/mkcd
    >
    > or try to keep your mksysb smaller then 2GB by using /etc/
    > exclude.rootvg
    > See
    > $ man mksysb
    > for details
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Hajo
    Thanks for your ideas.

    In my misguided learning curve, have locked away 16gb of free space in /usr
    and because of jfs, cannot get it back.
    Cannot fit another HD in 7044 as it is full with three 9.1 gb drives.

    Have a 7131-405 SSA tower and adapter card off my failed 7043, so will stick
    this in 7044 to give it an extra 27gb.
    Hope smit and wsm can handle using the extra space in the tower as it has to
    be set up as another vg and fs.

    Been told with mksysb-dvd, needs 5gb free if it is a UDF dvd of 15gb free if
    it is a ISO9660 dvd being made.

    Will probably reinstall 5.3 on 7044 after I get the dvd image job perfected.

    Would you say it is best to install 5.3 with jfs2, 64 bit and large files
    enabled.
    Have some 4.2, 4.3, 5.1 and 5.2 boxes I want to all network together later
    on with 5.3.

    Thanks
    Basil

  6. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    On Dec 15, 1:39 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:

    > Would you say it is best to install 5.3 with jfs2, 64 bit and large files
    > enabled.

    If your system is a 64bit hardware then go for AIX5.3 64bit and JFS2
    otherwise AIX5.3 32bit and JFS2.
    JFS2 has no need for large file enabled.

    hth
    Hajo

  7. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    On Dec 14, 5:39 pm, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > >> (1) When you refer to white spaces do you mean to fill in the three smit
    > >> squares in Backup This System to DVD as follows:
    > >> File System to Store mksysb Image /usr/mkcd/mksysb
    > >> image

    > > I have overseen that 'image' is an option . So just forget about it.

    > > The best thing would be to create a new large file enabled filesystem
    > > with a size of at least 5GB and mount it at
    > > /usr/mkcd

    > > or try to keep your mksysb smaller then 2GB by using /etc/
    > > exclude.rootvg
    > > See
    > > $ man mksysb
    > > for details

    > > hth
    > > Hajo

    > Hajo
    > Thanks for your ideas.
    >
    > In my misguided learning curve, have locked away 16gb of free space in /usr
    > and because of jfs, cannot get it back.
    > Cannot fit another HD in 7044 as it is full with three 9.1 gb drives.
    >
    > Have a 7131-405 SSA tower and adapter card off my failed 7043, so will stick
    > this in 7044 to give it an extra 27gb.
    > Hope smit and wsm can handle using the extra space in the tower as it has to
    > be set up as another vg and fs.
    >
    > Been told with mksysb-dvd, needs 5gb free if it is a UDF dvd of 15gb free if
    > it is a ISO9660 dvd being made.
    >
    > Will probably reinstall 5.3 on 7044 after I get the dvd image job perfected.
    >
    > Would you say it is best to install 5.3 with jfs2, 64 bit and large files
    > enabled.
    > Have some 4.2, 4.3, 5.1 and 5.2 boxes I want to all network together later
    > on with 5.3.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Basil

    Just another angle on a solution to this problem. I don't set up a
    jfs ahead of time. I just tell "smit" what vg to create the dvd
    mksysb in and let it manage space and create file systems. Be sure to
    tell smit not to remove files when done.

    Also to keep my boot dvd's "small" I never put any data file systems
    on the rootvg. Often this strategy allows me to tell smit to place
    the dvd iso on the rootvg. I then copy that iso over to a burner.

  8. Re: Making mksysb image to burn to dvd later on fails.

    "Basil Holloway" wrote

    <>

    > In my misguided learning curve, have locked away 16gb of free space in /usr
    > and because of jfs, cannot get it back.
    > Cannot fit another HD in 7044 as it is full with three 9.1 gb drives.

    Perhaps you could do an nfs mount of a disk provided over the lan; if you
    have samba, then there are surely winboxes in the office than can provide
    massive free space, and even if no samba, then rig up some linux server
    in the office lan to offer up some room via nfs, which aix knows even with
    a routine base load of the operating system. I'm not sure that even then
    you can create single files over 2.1 gig size, though, on the disk share...
    Maybe you could migrate some optional data or dormant 3rd party
    software to the mounted lan share to free up room on your rootvg to let
    this happen on rootvg, though...

+ Reply to Thread