dynamic vs static IP - Aix

This is a discussion on dynamic vs static IP - Aix ; Hello All: I have configured one of our AIX boxes to use DHCP. The box is accessible by the IP assigned to it by DHCP server, but is inaccessible by name. Did I miss anything in configuration? Are there any ...

  1. dynamic vs static IP

    Hello All:

    I have configured one of our AIX boxes to use DHCP. The box is
    accessible by the IP assigned to it by DHCP server, but is
    inaccessible by name. Did I miss anything in configuration? Are there
    any advantages or disadvantages of using dynamic IP over static IP and
    vise versa?

    Thank you,
    Alona

  2. Re: dynamic vs static IP

    Alona wrote:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > I have configured one of our AIX boxes to use DHCP. The box is
    > accessible by the IP assigned to it by DHCP server, but is
    > inaccessible by name. Did I miss anything in configuration? Are there
    > any advantages or disadvantages of using dynamic IP over static IP and
    > vise versa?
    >

    > Thank you,
    > Alona

    DHCP assigns an IP adddress to your machine and you can refer to
    the machine by that ip number. Now you need to associate the ip
    address with a name.

    With static ip address you can enter the assigned address
    in a hosts file (/etc/hosts in unix or something like
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in windows) or in
    your name server (bind/dns) tables.

    With dynamic ip addressing you need to use DDNS to automatically
    update the name server tables to associate the ip address with
    a name. DHCP can be configured to tell the the name server table
    of the association. In the windows ip properties DNS tab, there
    is check box to have the windows dhcp client register the address
    with the name server.

    Since your machines name isn't being automatically set by dhcp,
    you may need you your dhcp client table (/etc/dhcpcd.ini) to
    perform this action. That would be the "updateDNS" entry.

  3. Re: dynamic vs static IP

    It depends on the configuration of your dhcp server. However, I've
    found the following configuration of the /etc/dhcpcd.ini works well.
    Be sure to make a copy of your dhcpcd.ini first. Then edit it to the
    following active lines. Then change the interface and the hostname
    to match your configuration. Stop and start dhcpcd and you should be
    able to resolve by name.

    ----begin dhcpcd.ini file---------------------------

    numLogFiles 4
    logFileSize 100
    logFileName /usr/tmp/dhcpcd.log
    logItem SYSERR
    logItem OBJERR

    clientid MAC
    interface en0
    {
    option 12 "aixdb2server"
    option 3
    option 6
    option 15
    }

    ----end dhcpcd.ini file---------------------------

  4. Re: dynamic vs static IP

    Alona wrote:

    >Hello All:
    >
    >I have configured one of our AIX boxes to use DHCP. The box is
    >accessible by the IP assigned to it by DHCP server, but is
    >inaccessible by name. Did I miss anything in configuration? Are there
    >any advantages or disadvantages of using dynamic IP over static IP and
    >vise versa?
    >

    >Thank you,
    >Alona

    Alona,

    If the AIX box needs to receive connections from other things, it
    should have a static IP address.

    Dynamic addresses are really only useful for devices that onlu\ly
    establish connections, like workstations.

    If a server ( or device like a printer that provides a service) has a
    dynamic address, how will other devices on the network know what its
    address is today?

    Regards,

    Ted Linnell.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  5. Re: dynamic vs static IP

    Alona wrote:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > I have configured one of our AIX boxes to use DHCP. The box is
    > accessible by the IP assigned to it by DHCP server, but is
    > inaccessible by name. Did I miss anything in configuration? Are there
    > any advantages or disadvantages of using dynamic IP over static IP and
    > vise versa?

    Changing your IP has no advantages...
    only if you are banned out from somewhere...

+ Reply to Thread