warning at trying extendvg - Aix

This is a discussion on warning at trying extendvg - Aix ; Hi, I'm trying to extend my rootvg (hdisk0, 4 GB) with hdisk3 (9 GB). The message I get is # extendvg -f rootvg hdisk3 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 8 requires the creation of 1084 partitions for ...

  1. warning at trying extendvg

    Hi,

    I'm trying to extend my rootvg (hdisk0, 4 GB) with hdisk3 (9 GB). The
    message I get is

    # extendvg -f rootvg hdisk3
    0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 8 requires
    the creation of 1084 partitions for hdisk3. The limitation for volume
    group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions per physical volume. Use chvg
    command with -t option to attempt to change the maximum Physical
    Partitions per Physical volume for this volume group.
    0516-792 extendvg: Unable to extend volume group.

    From this I think that I should "chvg -t" hdisk0, but that sounds not
    wise to me. hdisk1 (4 GB) is not in use yet, but I want to keep it free
    for now. Any suggestions on how to go on?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: warning at trying extendvg

    On 12 Dec, 09:02, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to extend my rootvg (hdisk0, 4 GB) with hdisk3 (9 GB). The
    > message I get is
    >
    > # extendvg -f rootvg hdisk3
    > 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 8 requires
    > the creation of 1084 partitions for hdisk3. The limitation for volume
    > group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions per physical volume. Use chvg
    > command with -t option to attempt to change the maximum Physical
    > Partitions per Physical volume for this volume group.
    > 0516-792 extendvg: Unable to extend volume group.
    >
    > From this I think that I should "chvg -t" hdisk0, but that sounds not
    > wise to me. hdisk1 (4 GB) is not in use yet, but I want to keep it free
    > for now. Any suggestions on how to go on?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Why doesnt it sound wise? I think you should be fine (someone correct
    me if Im wrong) to run 'chvg -t 2 rootvg'. Have you read the man page
    for 'chvg' to understand what this does and the syntax and the
    limitations.

    However it also depends on what disks you are using, well the command
    doesnt but maybe your options do. If you are using SCSI disks then at
    the moment I assume you just have one disk in rootvg, this isnt a good
    idea in itself as you have no mirroring. In this case Id stick hdisk1
    in rootvg and then chvg the VG and then also stick in hdisk3. Then
    mirror hdisk0 and hdisk1 to hdisk3.

    If you are using SAN disk (which will probably be internally raided)
    then you can maybe play about a bit more, eg chvg, add in hdisk3,
    migrate all PP's to hdisk3 so you are just left with on hisk in rootvg
    (makes it a bit tider).

    Im wondering why you want to keep hdisk1 free for now, it sounds like
    you are also having a lot of data in rootvg, ie non-OS files
    (application data). Not best practice really if it can be avoided.

    Scott

  3. Re: warning at trying extendvg

    > Why doesnt it sound wise? I think you should be fine (someone correct
    > me if Im wrong) to run 'chvg -t 2 rootvg'. Have you read the man page
    > for 'chvg' to understand what this does and the syntax and the
    > limitations.

    I will read it again.

    > However it also depends on what disks you are using, well the command
    > doesnt but maybe your options do. If you are using SCSI disks then at
    > the moment I assume you just have one disk in rootvg, this isnt a good
    > idea in itself as you have no mirroring. In this case Id stick hdisk1
    > in rootvg and then chvg the VG and then also stick in hdisk3. Then
    > mirror hdisk0 and hdisk1 to hdisk3.

    Didn't think of that possiblilty.

    > Im wondering why you want to keep hdisk1 free for now, it sounds like
    > you are also having a lot of data in rootvg, ie non-OS files
    > (application data). Not best practice really if it can be avoided.

    Not a lot, but yes, some applications in /opt/freeware/bin.

    Thanks for your ideas.

+ Reply to Thread