Problem with iostat - Aix

This is a discussion on Problem with iostat - Aix ; We're seeing a problem with iostat versus topas on AIX 5.3. I mean, take a server that has very little load and you might not see a difference in CPU Load between iostat and topas. But give that server sufficient ...

  1. Problem with iostat

    We're seeing a problem with iostat versus topas on AIX 5.3. I mean,
    take a server that has very little load and you might not see a
    difference in CPU Load between iostat and topas. But give that server
    sufficient load and you'll see that...

    iostat -t

    ....checking for Idle % and subtracting from 100 %, does not line up
    with...

    topas

    ....checking for the same thing.

    We're seeing a difference in CPU Load (100 - Idle) that's off by 50
    percentage points such as 'iostat -t' returning a CPU Load of 17% and
    topas showing us about 70%.

    What's the catch? Am I doing the wrong thing to rely on 'iostat -t'?
    Or, does 'iostat -t' only tell me about load for my terminal session,
    not the system as a whole?

  2. Re: Problem with iostat

    On Dec 12, 2:30 am, Roberto <8...@myway.com> wrote:
    > We're seeing a problem with iostat versus topas on AIX 5.3. I mean,
    > take a server that has very little load and you might not see a
    > difference in CPU Load between iostat and topas. But give that server
    > sufficient load and you'll see that...
    >
    > iostat -t
    >
    > ...checking for Idle % and subtracting from 100 %, does not line up
    > with...
    >
    > topas
    >
    > ...checking for the same thing.
    >
    > We're seeing a difference in CPU Load (100 - Idle) that's off by 50
    > percentage points such as 'iostat -t' returning a CPU Load of 17% and
    > topas showing us about 70%.
    >
    > What's the catch? Am I doing the wrong thing to rely on 'iostat -t'?
    > Or, does 'iostat -t' only tell me about load for my terminal session,
    > not the system as a whole?

    have a good read of the man page

+ Reply to Thread