Need help w/ cpu terminology for 9133-55A - Aix

This is a discussion on Need help w/ cpu terminology for 9133-55A - Aix ; Hi, We have a 9133-55A system where prtconf shows: Number of Processors: 8 Processor Clock Speed: 1499MHz My question is whether this system has (4) dual core chips or (2) quad- core chips or even (8) single core chips (I ...

  1. Need help w/ cpu terminology for 9133-55A

    Hi,

    We have a 9133-55A system where prtconf shows:

    Number of Processors: 8
    Processor Clock Speed: 1499MHz

    My question is whether this system has (4) dual core chips or (2) quad-
    core chips or even (8) single core chips (I doubt this last one).

    Also, we are looking to install (2) LPARs on this system using AIX 5.3
    and are looking to put (5) cores in one LPAR and (3) cores in the
    second LPAR. Is this possible (ie: can cores from a single dye be put
    into different LPARs)?

    One last question: We are going to divide the memory (16GB total)
    between the LPARs. I know that with some Sun boxes the CPU controls a
    given bank of memory so all that memory has to follow that CPU. Is
    this so with the 55A/AIX 5.3 or is it more flexible?

  2. Re: Need help w/ cpu terminology for 9133-55A

    This server has only 2 slots for processors. They can be either sigle-
    core, dual-core or quad-core.

    As AIX states that you have 8 "processors" (in fact cores), you
    probably have a 2 x quad-core. The processor speed is another hint.
    Quad-core processors have slower speeds. The dual core ones can be
    found @1.9GHz or @2.1Ghz.

    Cores from single dyes can be put in different LPARs, once they are
    Logial (L) Partitions (PARs). You can also have fractions up to 1/10th
    of a processor if you have APV (Advanced power virtualization)
    licensed for the box. The same can be said to memory: you can share it
    among partitions without worries.

    In fact, itīs all logical. With APV you can even virtualize the
    adapters through Virtual I/O Server (a special partition which
    receives the adapters and virtualizes them to the other
    partitions) !!!

    Sun uses most of the time physical partitions and that limits the ways
    you can split the server. Itīs said that physiscal partitions have the
    advantage of electrical isolation.

    Regards,

    Caldeira

    On 10 dez, 12:34, MJB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a 9133-55A system where prtconf shows:
    >
    > Number of Processors: 8

    > Processor Clock Speed: 1499MHz
    >
    > My question is whether this system has (4) dual core chips or (2) quad-
    > core chips or even (8) single core chips (I doubt this last one).
    >
    > Also, we are looking to install (2) LPARs on this system using AIX 5.3
    > and are looking to put (5) cores in one LPAR and (3) cores in the
    > second LPAR. Is this possible (ie: can cores from a single dye be put
    > into different LPARs)?
    >
    > One last question: We are going to divide the memory (16GB total)
    > between the LPARs. I know that with some Sun boxes the CPU controls a
    > given bank of memory so all that memory has to follow that CPU. Is
    > this so with the 55A/AIX 5.3 or is it more flexible?

  3. Re: Need help w/ cpu terminology for 9133-55A

    Thanks for the quick reply. I figured the speed may come into play so
    I included it. I'm very familiar with Sun's approach but the IBM
    approach is different.

+ Reply to Thread