Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a - Aix

This is a discussion on Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a - Aix ; Hi, Running 5.3 (5300-00), I erroneously deleted libintl.so.1 and libz.a. Now both rpm and sshd don't work anymore. How can I reinstall them? I tried to find it on the net but can't figure it out (yet). Thanks....

  1. Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    Hi,

    Running 5.3 (5300-00), I erroneously deleted libintl.so.1 and libz.a.
    Now both rpm and sshd don't work anymore. How can I reinstall them? I
    tried to find it on the net but can't figure it out (yet).

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    Huub wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Running 5.3 (5300-00), I erroneously deleted libintl.so.1 and libz.a.
    > Now both rpm and sshd don't work anymore. How can I reinstall them? I
    > tried to find it on the net but can't figure it out (yet).
    >
    > Thanks.

    Since libz.a comes from the zlib RPM and the rpm command
    is not functional you can't do:
    rpm -i --force zlib...rpm
    so you would have to copy an /opt/freeware/lib/libz.a from
    another aix system with that same RPM level installed.

    You could take the zlib RPM from the Linux Toolbox for AIX,
    copy it to another RPM-capable system (e.g. linux) and use
    an rpm command like:
    rpm -i --force --nodeps --ignorearch --ignoreos \
    --noscripts --root /tmp/rpm zlib...rpm
    to restore the files into /tmp/rpm and then copy it from there.
    Before doing that you do have to 'clone' the rpm database
    from its normal location to the /tmp/rpm scratch area:
    mkdir /tmp/rpm
    mkdir /tmp/rpm/var
    mkdir /tmp/rpm/var/lib
    cp -pr /var/lib/rpm /tmp/rpm/var/lib
    rpm ... --root /tmp/rpm ...

    My AIX system does not have a libintl.so.1 so I can't tell
    you which package (rpm or installp or ismp) it came from,
    but if you know which package then the same strategy should
    work for it.

    Paul Landay

  3. Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    On Dec 7, 9:33 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running 5.3 (5300-00), I erroneously deleted libintl.so.1 and libz.a.
    > Now both rpm and sshd don't work anymore. How can I reinstall them? I
    > tried to find it on the net but can't figure it out (yet).
    >
    > Thanks.

    $ lslpp -fc | grep libz.a
    /usr/lib/objrepos:rpm.rte 3.0.5.41:/usr/opt/freeware/lib/libz.a

    $ lslpp -fc | grep libintl
    /usr/lib/objrepos:rpm.rte 3.0.5.41:/usr/opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a

    Do reinstallation of the rpm.rte package and update afterwards or
    unpack the package to a temporary directory and restore the needed
    file.

    $ man installp # and look for the force option
    $ man restore # since BFF filesets are in the backup/restore format.

    Also
    gettext-0.10.40-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm provides a libintl.a

    hth
    Hajo

  4. Addendum: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    After forced reinstallation execute
    $ /usr/sbin/updtvpkg

    it will update the rpm package database and library location info
    afaik. The command takes some time so take a break.

    Also a quick hack to find which RPM provids which file by using the
    installation media:

    cd /aix5Ltoolbox/RPMS/ppc
    $ for i in $(ls) ; do echo $i ; rpm -qpl $i ; echo ; done | grep -wp
    MYFILE

    hth
    Hajo

  5. Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    > $ lslpp -fc | grep libz.a
    > /usr/lib/objrepos:rpm.rte 3.0.5.41:/usr/opt/freeware/lib/libz.a
    >
    > $ lslpp -fc | grep libintl
    > /usr/lib/objrepos:rpm.rte 3.0.5.41:/usr/opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a

    $ lslpp -fc | grep libz.a
    /usr/lib/objrepos:rpm.rte 3.0.5.36:/usr/opt/freeware/lib/libz.a
    $ lslpp -fc | grep libintl
    /usr/lib/objrepos:rpm.rte 3.0.5.36:/usr/opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a

    $ ls /usr/opt/freeware/lib/libz.a
    ls: 0653-341 The file /usr/opt/freeware/lib/libz.a does not exist.
    $ ls /usr/opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a
    ls: 0653-341 The file /usr/opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a does not exist.

    > Do reinstallation of the rpm.rte package

    I did: I reinstalled rpm.rte.3.0.5.36 since smitty indicated it was
    installed.

    > and update afterwards or unpack the package to a temporary directory and restore the needed
    > file.
    >
    > $ man installp # and look for the force option
    > $ man restore # since BFF filesets are in the backup/restore format.
    >
    > Also
    > gettext-0.10.40-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm provides a libintl.a

    Since it's an rpm and rpm still won't work...how do I install it?

    Thank you.

  6. Re: Addendum: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > After forced reinstallation execute
    > $ /usr/sbin/updtvpkg
    >
    > it will update the rpm package database and library location info
    > afaik. The command takes some time so take a break.

    # /usr/sbin/updtvpkg
    Please wait...Could not load program /usr/bin/rpm:
    Dependent module libintl.a(libintl.so.1) could not be loaded.
    Could not load module libintl.a(libintl.so.1).
    System error: No such file or directory

  7. Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    > I did: I reinstalled rpm.rte.3.0.5.36 since smitty indicated it was
    > installed.

    So you did was ? Did you do an forced installation or not. If yes did
    you updated rpm.rte afterwards or not.

    Also have you read my hint regarding restore ? With restore you can
    unpack an BFF fileset and copy the needed files if the stuff failes
    for some reason.

    $ cd /tmp/
    $ restore -xvqf /PathTo/rpm.rte

    regards
    Hajo

  8. Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    > So you did was ? Did you do an forced installation or not. If yes did
    > you updated rpm.rte afterwards or not.

    I guess I just installed it.

    > Also have you read my hint regarding restore ? With restore you can
    > unpack an BFF fileset and copy the needed files if the stuff failes
    > for some reason.
    >
    > $ cd /tmp/
    > $ restore -xvqf /PathTo/rpm.rte

    This did it! After the restore I copied both libz.a en libintl.a into
    /usr/opt/freeware/lib and both rpm and sshd work again.

    Thank You!!

  9. Re: Reinstall libintl.so.1 and libz.a

    On Dec 7, 1:55 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > So you did was ? Did you do an forced installation or not. If yes did
    > > you updated rpm.rte afterwards or not.

    > I guess I just installed it.

    Then your guess is wrong. Smitty has an option for an forced
    installation. An forced installation is normlay needed if the package
    is corrupt or if you have to down grade to a certain version.
    So the procedure is normaly:
    1) Install base fileset with the forced option
    $ installp -d /PathToMyPackae -F MyPackage
    2) Update package to the required level
    $ installp -d /PathToMyPackae -a MyPackage MyPackageVersion

    have a nice weekend and guess better.
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread