memo -- mksysb needs room on /tmp, else prototype file probs - Aix

This is a discussion on memo -- mksysb needs room on /tmp, else prototype file probs - Aix ; Just a memo, since I didn't find a hit on this when I googled for it; If you're doing an aix backup tape, whether from a smit screen or doing a manually-issued mksysb command, if it complains about 0506-232 Cannot ...

  1. memo -- mksysb needs room on /tmp, else prototype file probs

    Just a memo, since I didn't find a hit on this when I googled for it;
    If you're doing an aix backup tape, whether from a smit screen or
    doing a manually-issued mksysb command, if it complains about

    0506-232 Cannot find or access prototype file

    then you may simply need a larger disk allocation for your /tmp filesystem.
    If you have as-yet-unapplied pp's on that disk, then the simple solution
    is to answer 'yes' to letting smit enlarge /tmp during the backup.

    Essentially mksysb is trying to get together a boot image to plop on
    the tape, so you can later boot the computer from this tape.
    The prototype file gets a line item for each file on disk, so it can get large.

    For the log, while doing this I also saw messages
    Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg.
    and
    0301-155 bosboot: mkfs failed for /tmp/bosboot_53964_27048/Bootram.fs

  2. Re: memo -- mksysb needs room on /tmp, else prototype file probs

    On Dec 6, 5:39 am, "Frank Winans" wrote:
    > Just a memo, since I didn't find a hit on this when I googled for it;
    > If you're doing an aix backup tape, whether from a smit screen or
    > doing a manually-issued mksysb command, if it complains about
    >
    > 0506-232 Cannot find or access prototype file
    >
    > then you may simply need a larger disk allocation for your /tmp filesystem.
    > If you have as-yet-unapplied pp's on that disk, then the simple solution
    > is to answer 'yes' to letting smit enlarge /tmp during the backup.
    >
    > Essentially mksysb is trying to get together a boot image to plop on
    > the tape, so you can later boot the computer from this tape.
    > The prototype file gets a line item for each file on disk, so it can get large.
    >
    > For the log, while doing this I also saw messages
    > Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg.
    > and
    > 0301-155 bosboot: mkfs failed for /tmp/bosboot_53964_27048/Bootram.fs

    mksysb is a bit of a loose cannon.
    what ML are you on ?

  3. Re: memo -- mksysb needs room on /tmp, else prototype file probs

    "Henry" wrote
    > On Dec 6, 5:39 am, "Frank Winans" wrote:
    > > Just a memo, since I didn't find a hit on this when I googled for it;
    > >

    > mksysb is a bit of a loose cannon.
    > what ML are you on ?

    What is this thing "ML" of which ye speak?
    I'm using AIX 5L ver 5.3 on an E-server box, if memory serves...
    or maybe this was the 5.2 box, on another E-server.

    I rather thought mksysb was the long-time standard in aix backup commands;
    though some still use the ancient tar and cpio for non-bootable backups.
    How would you make a bootable backup, if not by doing mksysb or smit mksysb
    ?

+ Reply to Thread