crfs vs mkfs - Aix

This is a discussion on crfs vs mkfs - Aix ; Hi, What is the difference between crfs and mkfs ??? Thanks for your lights ......

  1. crfs vs mkfs

    Hi,

    What is the difference between
    crfs and mkfs ???

    Thanks for your lights ...

  2. Re: crfs vs mkfs

    astalavista wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What is the difference between
    > crfs and mkfs ???

    Not to be a smart-ass, but is the difference not clear from the
    manpages?

    If not, let me know what you find confusing. We will soon be an AIX shop
    and I'll likely face similar inquiries from my colleagues at work.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  3. Re: crfs vs mkfs

    > Not to be a smart-ass, but is the difference not clear from the
    > manpages?
    >
    > If not, let me know what you find confusing. We will soon be an AIX shop
    > and I'll likely face similar inquiries from my colleagues at work.

    Thanks, in other words:
    what you use when you to create a file system in CLI ?
    crfs or mkfs ?

    Thanks

  4. Re: crfs vs mkfs

    On Dec 6, 9:32 pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    > > Not to be a smart-ass, but is the difference not clear from the
    > > manpages?

    > > If not, let me know what you find confusing. We will soon be an AIX shop
    > > and I'll likely face similar inquiries from my colleagues at work.

    > Thanks, in other words:
    > what you use when you to create a file system in CLI ?
    > crfs or mkfs ?

    AFAIK mkfs work only on existing LV , where crfs creates them.
    For me you can see a crfs as an mklv + mkfs . So normaly you go for an
    crfs.

    But in case an existing LV shell be reused or wanna use a ramdisk you
    have to use mklv.

    hth
    Hajo

  5. Re: crfs vs mkfs

    astalavista wrote:

    > > Not to be a smart-ass, but is the difference not clear from the
    > > manpages?
    > >
    > > If not, let me know what you find confusing. We will soon be an AIX shop
    > > and I'll likely face similar inquiries from my colleagues at work.

    > Thanks, in other words:
    > what you use when you to create a file system in CLI ?
    > crfs or mkfs ?

    ....and the answer is, "it depends".

    crfs is the AIX version with all the volume group, logical volume, etc.
    stuff in it.

    mkfs is the "plain vanilla" facility found in any UN*X and may or may
    not do what you want.

    You'll have to study up on them and use the one which suits your needs.

    Sorry 'bout that!

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  6. Re: crfs vs mkfs

    OK thanks, it is clear now

    "Hajo Ehlers" a écrit dans le message de news:
    8a51691a-3dd2-4144-a076-79953839c6c7...oglegroups.com...
    > On Dec 6, 9:32 pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    >> > Not to be a smart-ass, but is the difference not clear from the
    >> > manpages?

    >> > If not, let me know what you find confusing. We will soon be an AIX
    >> > shop
    >> > and I'll likely face similar inquiries from my colleagues at work.

    >> Thanks, in other words:
    >> what you use when you to create a file system in CLI ?
    >> crfs or mkfs ?

    > AFAIK mkfs work only on existing LV , where crfs creates them.
    > For me you can see a crfs as an mklv + mkfs . So normaly you go for an
    > crfs.
    >
    > But in case an existing LV shell be reused or wanna use a ramdisk you
    > have to use mklv.
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

+ Reply to Thread