Send Mail Without Hostname - Aix

This is a discussion on Send Mail Without Hostname - Aix ; Hi All, I've been searching the topic but still not able to get a solution. My problem here is I would like to use the AIX native mail command to send out mail to external user and I do not ...

  1. Send Mail Without Hostname

    Hi All,

    I've been searching the topic but still not able to get a solution.

    My problem here is I would like to use the AIX native mail command to
    send out mail to external user and I do not want the hostname to be
    appeared. I've tried to edit the sendmail.cf file but still failed to
    achieve the result.

    Pls help.

    TIA

  2. Re: Send Mail Without Hostname

    alvintsh@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've been searching the topic but still not able to get a solution.
    >
    > My problem here is I would like to use the AIX native mail command to
    > send out mail to external user and I do not want the hostname to be
    > appeared. I've tried to edit the sendmail.cf file but still failed to
    > achieve the result.
    >
    > Pls help.
    >
    > TIA

    The "hostname" can appear in several places among the headers.
    Can you please submit an example of where you don't want the
    hostname to appear. Is it the actual host name, or the ip address
    in general? From your personal machine or of your mail server?

  3. Re: Send Mail Without Hostname

    On Dec 3, 10:35 am, alvin...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've been searching the topic but still not able to get a solution.
    >
    > My problem here is I would like to use the AIX native mail command to
    > send out mail to external user and I do not want the hostname to be
    > appeared. I've tried to edit the sendmail.cf file but still failed to
    > achieve the result.
    >
    > Pls help.
    >
    > TIA

    In general this isn't possible, nor should it be. Think about this
    from the point of view of the system to which you're sending mail. It
    needs to know where mail is coming from to decide whether to handle it
    or not. This is basic security. What you may be able to do is have
    another system, to which AIX is forwarding mail, send the mail on
    after modifying the headers to say that it, the other system, is the
    originator. But no mail system worth its salt will accept mail without
    being able to verify where it's coming from.

    FWIW

    -Jim Lane

+ Reply to Thread